JDS Labs Element
Jun 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #91 of 636
Glad to hear $349 is the final MSRP. This DAC/amp is very tempting. Would use it to drive an HE-500 and LCD-2.2 primarily. Given the output power, it should easily drive those headphones to the dB-levels at which they're measured.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #92 of 636
Just want to check with anyone here, is there a difference in RCA cables used for transmitting digital signals as compared to for transmitting analog signals? Only reason I asked is because when surfing the emotiva site, I saw that they have a digital coaxial RCA cable as well as a RCA cable. The big difference between the two is that for the digital coaxial RCA cable, it has only 1 conductor instead (so no grounding) while for the normal RCA cable, it has 2 conductors (one for grounding, one for signal).

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #93 of 636
Besides that DAC + headamp function, it's perfect already for me, but I just need one more function, that is preamp, the DAC to RCA analog out to power amp, where the knob can be used as volume controller, is this possible?

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #94 of 636
Does anyone know what the output power into 300 Ohms is? The site (for some weird reason) doesn't say.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #96 of 636
Element looks like a hi-fi equipment not reference equipment like o2+odac. :)

Element looks like a sophisticated piece of Bauhausian design rather than some knocked-up-in-a-shed piece of equipment like O2+ODAC.

There, fixed that for you :wink:

No disrespect to the O2, Nwavguy or JDS Labs. I love the O2.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #97 of 636
Element looks like a sophisticated piece of Bauhausian design rather than some knocked-up-in-a-shed piece of equipment like O2+ODAC.

There, fixed that for you :wink:

No disrespect to the O2, Nwavguy or JDS Labs. I love the O2.

Im using o2 too and I love it its very good solution for my reference setup. Im looking for amp which is better than o2 for 2 years. :)

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #100 of 636
  Anybody has words on the new SA9023 controller and DAC chip  PCM5102A? It should be pretty much identical to ODAC I assume?

If I remember right, the ODAC doesn't use a PCM chip but a ESS one. Feel free to correct me if my info is wrong.

However, the JDS C5D does use a PCM5102A chip and a SA9027 controller. The implementation on the Element is probably different compared to the C5D since space is no longer a big consideration.

While I know that both the ODAC and Element both measures to the point of being transparent, I'm still curious for anyone's input on how different they sound audibly, if at all. 

@jseaber I saw on the blog that someone commented the RCA jacks can be configured for BOTH analog in and digital out. I thought all along that it's one or the other, not both functions. Can you clarify? Thanks.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #101 of 636
Michael Mercer posted up a video of him shaking his buns while listening to an Ether paired with a prototype of the Element. The Element looks bigger than I had imagined. I was thrown off by the scale due to the volume knob being unusually big. 

I would LOVE to hear that combination. I listened to the Ether connected to a OPPO HA-1 recently and immediately fell in love with the Ether. Best headphones I've heard in a long while.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #104 of 636
JDS Labs are well known for churning out low-mid priced gears that give extremely good values for what they cost. I don't see them changing this business model now and I certainly don't expect the JDS Element to be priced ridiculously.

What gives you the idea that this is definitely going to be more than the M2U and even alot more?? Just based on the looks?

Haven't poked in for a while...I was simply basing it on the cost of the O2..the O2 is a hundred dollars..this is supposed to be better than the O2 so it couldn't possibly be cheaper.

Edit that though I didn't know it was a DAC as well.
Details are up: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element-by-jds-labs

Preorder at $349. 

Ane here is a link to the blog: http://blog.jdslabs.com/

Interesting so only 50 bucks more than the Schitt stack......looks like we may have a contender.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #105 of 636

If I remember right, the ODAC doesn't use a PCM chip but a ESS one. Feel free to correct me if my info is wrong.

However, the JDS C5D does use a PCM5102A chip and a SA9027 controller. The implementation on the Element is probably different compared to the C5D since space is no longer a big consideration.

While I know that both the ODAC and Element both measures to the point of being transparent, I'm still curious for anyone's input on how different they sound audibly, if at all. 

@jseaber I saw on the blog that someone commented the RCA jacks can be configured for BOTH analog in and digital out. I thought all along that it's one or the other, not both functions. Can you clarify? Thanks.

Fair question - Comment has been updated with additional detail: Enabling DAC output technically leaves analog input possible (just as with O2+ODAC). DAC output performance is normal in this configuration, but analog input usage is discouraged as THD will increase.

Therefore, the DAC line output configuration should be considered exclusively as an output jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back