JDS Labs Element
Jun 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #61 of 636
Looks pretty good.  It's nice to have something that address the ergonomic shortcomings of the O2 while keeping the same design philosophy.

Crossfeed and a line out for the DAC would be nice though.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #62 of 636
Looks pretty good.  It's nice to have something that address the ergonomic shortcomings of the O2 while keeping the same design philosophy.

Crossfeed and a line out for the DAC would be nice though.

+1

I wish it had pre-amp out instead of analog inputs. If the DAC is good (and the measurements are), then the analog inputs seem much less useful to me. But I realize that's a bit harder to design, whereas the inputs are an easy add on.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #63 of 636
Is $349 the set price or only the preorder price? If the latter, any info as to how much it might jump?

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #64 of 636
  I'm liking what I'm reading and very much looking forward seeing how well the Element performs in the real world.  
popcorn.gif

One request to JDS: Please post pictures with a banana for scale.
wink_face.gif

Also Quick question to JDS: the headphone jack is 1/4", right?  Will a variant with a 1/8" jack be produced?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I did not bring a banana to work today. The last one in the kitchen was going brown. If you don't mind a brown banana, I'll arrange this tomorrow!

Yes, the headphone jack is a 1/4" type. Since 1/8" adapters are so prevelant and often supplied with headphones and IEMs, it's unlikely we'll pursue a 3.5mm output.

+1

I wish it had pre-amp out instead of analog inputs. If the DAC is good (and the measurements are), then the analog inputs seem much less useful to me. But I realize that's a bit harder to design, whereas the inputs are an easy add on.

This was a difficult decision to make as lead engineer.

Notice that the rear side of The Element is full: power input, power button, gain button, USB input, and a single set of RCA jacks. We'd love to have added optical or S/PDIF input and an additional set of RCA DAC line outputs. But there's no room! The minimalistic enclosure requires a carefully selected features-set. Without delving too much into the business end, analog input is the best path.

The Element is designed as a reference amp first and foremost. Its DAC should be considered an added bonus.

1. Removing the DAC has a relatively small cost impact (compare C5D and C5).
  2. DAC feature-sets and dynamic range will continue to advance over the next few years.
  3. Configuring jacks as RCA input expands future input capability of The Element

In other words, RCA input means The Element can be used with future DACs with much greater flexibility. This will allow you to connect DACs with greater input and output capabilities.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #65 of 636
So the elements is designed firstly as an amp, that makes me much more inclined to purchase it! I'm no engineer so I don't really understand all the specifications on how powerful this amp is but would you say that this amplifier would easily be able to power any headphone on the market? (including the HE-6) 
Also, when you said that removing the DAC has a relatively small cost impact, are you saying that there is an option to buy the elements without the DAC built into it?

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #67 of 636
  So the elements is designed firstly as an amp, that makes me much more inclined to purchase it! I'm no engineer so I don't really understand all the specifications on how powerful this amp is but would you say that this amplifier would easily be able to power any headphone on the market? (including the HE-6) 
Also, when you said that removing the DAC has a relatively small cost impact, are you saying that there is an option to buy the elements without the DAC built into it?

Yes, The Element can drive HE-6. We've hit 120dB in the office with Audeze LCD-XCs (completely unsafe for ears).

Removing the DAC has too little cost savings to justify an amp only edition. C5 will likely be discontinued in 2016; amp+DACs are more popular.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #68 of 636

Yes, The Element can drive HE-6. We've hit 120dB in the office with Audeze LCD-XCs (completely unsafe for ears).

Removing the DAC has too little cost savings to justify an amp only edition. C5 will likely be discontinued in 2016; amp+DACs are more popular.

Well that makes the element infinitely more tempting since it now appears to be a great performing amp for what I assume is a very good price.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #69 of 636
Does the Element have a lot in common with the O2?

I was hoping for an answer. In one of your Youtube videos you discuss the production constraints, not the least of which is an adherence to the original O2, even though some of its components may not be available. On a purely intuitive level, it would make sense that this amplifier is a slightly re-worked O2 geared to match the current manufacturing environment. Is it?

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #70 of 636
 ...amp+DACs are more popular.

And yet headfiers seem to complain all the time about the difficulty of integrating the two well in a single unit. Maybe the technology has gotten better... I've kind of wondered where the market was going. So many people carry a stack, though its true it seems less common on headfi than they used to be. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #71 of 636
I was hoping for an answer. In one of your Youtube videos you discuss the production constraints, not the least of which is an adherence to the original O2, even though some of its components may not be available. On a purely intuitive level, it would make sense that this amplifier is a slightly re-worked O2 geared to match the current manufacturing environment. Is it?

Sorry--too many messages today. O2 is still comfortably in production. The power jack difficulty was resolved in 2013. All components are available without constraint at this time. We did produce an O2 SMT derivative in 2013 for experimentation. The project was abandoned, so as to avoid licensing upsets. Additionally, there was no benefit to such a project. Performance was the same, but could not be improved. O2 is thermally limited by its chipset.

The Element uses a similar amplification topology (pre-amplification --> attenuation --> buffered output). Similarities end there, as the amp consists of a completely different chipset with optimal voltage planning to accommodate true line-level input and significantly higher output power. The Element uses microcontroller and relay based power management, and muting during startup and shutdown. See also Circuitry and Benchmark Performance in the release article.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #74 of 636

Sorry--too many messages today. O2 is still comfortably in production. The power jack difficulty was resolved in 2013. All components are available without constraint at this time. We did produce an O2 SMT derivative in 2013 for experimentation. The project was abandoned, so as to avoid licensing upsets. Additionally, there was no benefit to such a project. Performance was the same, but could not be improved. O2 is thermally limited by its chipset.

The Element uses a similar amplification topology (pre-amplification --> attenuation --> buffered output). Similarities end there, as the amp consists of a completely different chipset with optimal voltage planning to accommodate true line-level input and significantly higher output power. The Element uses microcontroller and relay based power management, and muting during startup and shutdown. See also Circuitry and Benchmark Performance in the release article.

Any chance that you have tested this amp/dac with a HD800? If so, how did you feel it complimented the headphones? Do you feel that this provides enough power and will have good synergy? There are many out there that feel the o2/odac did not perform well with the HD800's. Some feel that it became too cold and harsh? Would you say this dac/amp is transparent or maybe leaning towards a warm signature?

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #75 of 636
  Any chance that you have tested this amp/dac with a HD800? If so, how did you feel it complimented the headphones? Do you feel that this provides enough power and will have good synergy? There are many out there that feel the o2/odac did not perform well with the HD800's. Some feel that it became too cold and harsh? Would you say this dac/amp is transparent or maybe leaning towards a warm signature?

Over the years, I've found it best to keep my personal bias to myself. Subjective results are as important as the objective measurements and I'd rather leave our users and reviewers with a blank impression!

The Element is a different beast for sure. 

jseaber, Is there going to be a tour? 

Tour of what sort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back