JDS Labs Element
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #77 of 636

Over the years, I've found it best to keep my personal bias to myself. Subjective results are as important as the objective measurements and I'd rather leave our users and reviewers with a blank impression!

The Element is a different beast for sure. 

Tour of what sort?

I appreciate that, how about just for power. Do you believe The Element can power the HD800 and its over 600ohm spikes? I really want to preorder this amp/dac but I just want to make sure it can fully power my 800's first.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #78 of 636
  I appreciate that, how about just for power. Do you believe The Element can power the HD800 and its over 600ohm spikes? I really want to preorder this amp/dac but I just want to make sure it can fully power my 800's first.

Yes, The Element can provide 140mW into 600 ohms, while HD-800 needs about 32mW to hit 115 dB:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1****TwWffXKld7PgHt5wZOP7KnBVO6SyvG9yZEJ-smI/edit#gid=1006269980

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #79 of 636
I would like to draw everyone's attention to a post by JDS in another thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-c5d-pg96-portable-amp-amp-dac-appreciation-discussion-thread/3105#post_11481832, and I quote: 

Perhaps we should ask Head-Fi to name future products.

I don't believe the Head-Fi community was consulted in the naming of this product...

My proposal at the time was the "Over 9000."  H20Fidelity suggested  "JDS Dude 11"  
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #80 of 636
This was a difficult decision to make as lead engineer.

Notice that the rear side of The Element is full: power input, power button, gain button, USB input, and a single set of RCA jacks. We'd love to have added optical or S/PDIF input and an additional set of RCA DAC line outputs. But there's no room! The minimalistic enclosure requires a carefully selected features-set. Without delving too much into the business end, analog input is the best path.

The Element is designed as a reference amp first and foremost. Its DAC should be considered an added bonus.

• Removing the DAC has a relatively small cost impact (compare C5D and C5).
  • DAC feature-sets and dynamic range will continue to advance over the next few years.
  • Configuring jacks as RCA input expands future input capability of The Element

In other words, RCA input means The Element can be used with future DACs with much greater flexibility. This will allow you to connect DACs with greater input and output capabilities.

Thanks for the explanation.

So good for a headphone listening station, but not a good choice for a computer desktop setup where someone might want (or eventually want) speakers, and that's potentially a lot of people. For instance, check out the "computer rig" thread on Head-Fi, and look at the image gallery: http://www.head-fi.org/t/397869/lightbox/position/3108 (scroll up to see the images in the thread). That's why I got rid of the ODAC and O2 I got from you guys.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #81 of 636
Thanks for the explanation.

So good for a headphone listening station, but not a good choice for a computer desktop setup where someone might want (or eventually want) speakers, and that's potentially a lot of people. For instance, check out the "computer rig" thread on Head-Fi, and look at the image gallery: http://www.head-fi.org/t/397869/lightbox/position/3108 (scroll up to see the images in the thread). That's why I got rid of the ODAC and O2 I got from you guys.

If you insist...

The Element can be configured with DAC line output at no additional cost. We placed jumpers on the bottom of the board for this purpose. This configuration disallows analog input, and you'll need to turn the volume knob to 0 to "mute" your headphones. Simply mention your special request during checkout and we'll accommodate.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #82 of 636

If you insist...

The Element can be configured with DAC line output at no additional cost. We placed jumpers on the bottom of the board for this purpose. This configuration disallows analog input, and you'll need to turn the volume knob to 0 to "mute" your headphones. Simply mention your special request during checkout and we'll accommodate.

Is there a way to retrofit the gain switch to switch between digital/analog input instead? There doesn't seem to be a switch unless I am missing something, so I guess when there is a usb connection the analog in will not be used? Button would be convenient.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #83 of 636
If you insist...

That's good to know. Is this something a user could change on their own? Or would it violate the warranty?

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #85 of 636
That's good to know. Is this something a user could change on their own? Or would it violate the warranty?

It's possible with basic DIY skill. Element's screws are hidden, so it will be a task to access the board. It's much easier performed during initial assembly.

Is there a way to retrofit the gain switch to switch between digital/analog input instead? There doesn't seem to be a switch unless I am missing something, so I guess when there is a usb connection the analog in will not be used? Button would be convenient.

There is not, although the idea was considered during development. Toggling a jack to serve as either output or input is nonstandard, and would lead to confusion. Better to make a jack serve a dedicated function. Thanks for the feedback.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #86 of 636

It's possible with basic DIY skill. Element's screws are hidden, so it will be a task to access the board. It's much easier performed during initial assembly.

There is not, although the idea was considered during development. Toggling a jack to serve as either output or input is nonstandard, and would lead to confusion. Better to make a jack serve a dedicated function. Thanks for the feedback.

Ah, I mean switching between digital in and analog in. I have a CD player I would like to use separate from a computer and switch between it and DAC easily.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #87 of 636
Is $349 the set price or only the preorder price? If the latter, any info as to how much it might jump?

I am interested in this too. Most probably getting it, just a question of when.

If you insist...

YES! I was just about to ask if this is possible since I know you have a similar option for your C5D (digital out or analog in). So it's either analog in OR digital out? Will the digital out happen via the RCA jacks too?

This will be a good complement/alternative to the Liquid Carbon.

Just an aside: I think the reason why so many people want the digital out is because they foresee that the Element is not going to be powerful enough for the really really demanding headphones. For my need though, it's sufficient. Just that I have no other DAC, but I have another amp, so I prefer the digital out too.

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #88 of 636
I think the Banana was a joke. There is no way that can help reference the size. Every banana in a bundle is a different length.

I'm serious.  I thought everyone knew that the banana is a standard of measurement on the internet.  The all knowing Google says so.

Variability in banana size is accounted for by measuring the measurement banana against other bananas.  Simple.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #89 of 636
More serious questions for JDS though:

1) Does the Element DAC run in asynchronous USB mode?

2) If so is it possible to special order it with the DAC running in synchronous USB mode?  I have a C5D and I had to get the firmware flashed to run in synch mode because it was causing drop outs and stuttering when running on my Windows laptop.  It should be possible since if I'm not mistaken, the C5D and Element share the same DAC chip.

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #90 of 636
  More serious questions for JDS though:

1) Does the Element DAC run in asynchronous USB mode?

2) If so is it possible to special order it with the DAC running in synchronous USB mode?  I have a C5D and I had to get the firmware flashed to run in synch mode because it was causing drop outs and stuttering when running on my Windows laptop.  It should be possible since if I'm not mistaken, the C5D and Element share the same DAC chip.

1) The Element runs in adaptive mode. We regret the supposedly harmless activation of asynch in C5D. It turns out that asynchronous mode is poorly supported under certain operating systems. Jitter is measurably equal in adaptive mode, and compatibility is significantly improved.

2) I should have read this question first. See above. C5D uses SA9027; Element uses SA9023. The only difference between these two chips is support for asynchronous operation. Thus, we chose SA9023 for The Element.

I am interested in this too. Most probably getting it, just a question of when.

Current price is the final MSRP also.

YES! I was just about to ask if this is possible since I know you have a similar option for your C5D (digital out or analog in). So it's either analog in OR digital out? Will the digital out happen via the RCA jacks too?

Correct: RCA jacks can be configured to serve as a digital output instead of analog input.

Element packs more power than most headphones will ever need, including many planar magnetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back