JDS Labs EL / OL DAC Owners (AK4490EQ DAC's with filter switch)
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #61 of 99
Thank you, I actually found it and purchased it! I am really liking it. I'll have to post a picture of my setup soon-ish...

perfect! :thumbsup:

I find it extremely useful - great for power amps, and some active speakers

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #62 of 99
While this question may be the worst question to ask owners of the OL DAC or EL DAC, I am wondering: can one hear any difference in their sound? Or is the price difference purely driven by features?

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #63 of 99
While this question may be the worst question to ask owners of the OL DAC or EL DAC, I am wondering: can one hear any difference in their sound? Or is the price difference purely driven by features?

Both are excellent and sound essentially the same, It may be placebo but the EL DAC sounds ever so slightly more resolving. It's mainly the chassis and inputs that change between them (EL DAC can handle higher bitrate too)

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #64 of 99
Both are excellent and sound essentially the same, It may be placebo but the EL DAC sounds ever so slightly more resolving. It's mainly the chassis and inputs that change between them (EL DAC can handle higher bitrate too)
Thanks for the reply!

@jseaber I know both DACs use a AK4490EQ as the D/A chip, but I was wondering if there's anything different in the analog output stage between the DACs? I see that the EL DAC uses OPA2227 opamps, but no such information is given for the OL DAC. If you're around and can chime in, it'd greatly help me make an informed purchase decision.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #65 of 99
@jseaber I know both DACs use a AK4490EQ as the D/A chip, but I was wondering if there's anything different in the analog output stage between the DACs? I see that the EL DAC uses OPA2227 opamps, but no such information is given for the OL DAC. If you're around and can chime in, it'd greatly help me make an informed purchase decision.[/QUOTE]

EL DAC uses an OPA2227 for diff. summing, and OL DACs utilize an NJM4556.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #66 of 99
I was fortunate to get one of the OL DAC's with the DIP switches installed, but I haven't yet started tinkering with them. My understanding is that the differences between settings will be rather subtle, so it made me wonder: Is it OK to change the DIP switches while the DAC is powered on and playing for an instant A/B comparison?

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #67 of 99
Another question: Is the OL DAC (USB) considered asynchronous? I bought it based on the DAC chip and power supply, but it just occured to me to wonder if the USB chip is asynchronous. (I did some googling, but didn't find an answer.)

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #68 of 99
If I were to buy an EL DAC or OL DAC, how do I go about make sure it has the filter switch? I don't solder myself.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #69 of 99
Another question: Is the OL DAC (USB) considered asynchronous? I bought it based on the DAC chip and power supply, but it just occured to me to wonder if the USB chip is asynchronous. (I did some googling, but didn't find an answer.)

All JDS Labs DACs are configured for adaptive USB mode. Jitter performance is equivalent when set to asynchronous mode in modern USB-to-I2S controllers, yet, asynch has introduced bugs in the past under some operating systems.

I was fortunate to get one of the OL DAC's with the DIP switches installed, but I haven't yet started tinkering with them. My understanding is that the differences between settings will be rather subtle, so it made me wonder: Is it OK to change the DIP switches while the DAC is powered on and playing for an instant A/B comparison?

Yes, it's okay to change the DIP switches while the DAC is powered on.

If I were to buy an EL DAC or OL DAC, how do I go about make sure it has the filter switch? I don't solder myself.

Please describe your request in the Order Notes field during checkout.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #70 of 99
@jseaber Thanks for the info! Very helpful. I have another question: how hard is it to access the PCB in the EL DAC vs the OL DAC? Are there visible screws? Or, are they hidden under rubber feet or something?

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #73 of 99
I have soldered the DIP switches to my OL DAC
@jseaber

Hey guys. I received the OL DAC today and am trying to access the circuit board. I've unscrewed the 8 screws (4 on front, 4 on back) but the board doesn't exactly fall out. It feels like there's still something there keeping it in place? Do you guys have any advice on what I should do next? Should I simply apply more force?

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #74 of 99
@jseaber

Hey guys. I received the OL DAC today and am trying to access the circuit board. I've unscrewed the 8 screws (4 on front, 4 on back) but the board doesn't exactly fall out. It feels like there's still something there keeping it in place? Do you guys have any advice on what I should do next? Should I simply apply more force?

Yes, remove the plates, then push/pull.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #75 of 99
JDSlabsElementandElDAC.jpg
perfect! :thumbsup:

I find it extremely useful - great for power amps, and some active speakers

Here is the pic I promised...Desk is a lil messy right now otherwise I would have posted more of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back