JDS Labs EL Amp impressions
Nov 1, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 38
I got my Audeze LCD-2C phones the other day and have been listening to them on a couple of amps I have. I've tried them on the O2 amp, Magni 3 and the EL amp. Out of all the combos i've tried, I by far prefer them with the EL Amp along with the Topping D50 dac. This pairing has a smoothness to it while still being extremely detailed. That allows me to hear everything in the recording, while not becoming fatigued at all after long sessions. This holds true even as I raise the volume to higher than normal levels, where amps like the Magni 3 become much more fatiguing. Even the O2 amp is a bit harsh as you raise the volume compared to the EL Amp. Its the definition of clean sound as far as my senses are concerned. I absolutely recommend the pairing of the LCD-2C, Topping D50 and EL Amp.

Man, this pretty much confirms what I've been suspecting for a while. I've had the Magni 3 since December and since then I've felt underwhelmed listening to my LCD-2C on it. I figured it was just the sound signature of the headphones but now I'm really interested in buying the EL Amp to see how different the LCD-2C sounds.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #18 of 38
Man, this pretty much confirms what I've been suspecting for a while. I've had the Magni 3 since December and since then I've felt underwhelmed listening to my LCD-2C on it. I figured it was just the sound signature of the headphones but now I'm really interested in buying the EL Amp to see how different the LCD-2C sounds.
I want to mention that since then I’ve got another amp that I like even more than the el amp with the lcd2c. The schiit asgard 2. To me its worlds apart from the magni 3 and el amp. Extremely smooth, detailed, and spacious sound with the most natural vocals i’ve ever heard. I wholeheartedly recommend this amp with the modi multibit and lcd2c in low gain on asgard 2. High gain takes the magic away. This is by far my favorite pairing out of every set I own. The asgard 2 is still better than the el amp withvthe d50 and lcd2c, but the real magic happens with the mimby. I was honestly surprised when I tested this since I thought the d50 would sound better. It did not. Hope this helps

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 38
First post! I presently have a Jotunheim multibit and a Focal Elex. Does anyone think the El Amp and El Dac combo would be an upgrade?

I'd suggest trying Jotunheim with a different dac before moving on to a whole new setup. The Amp's quite good. I recently upgraded my Jotunheim setup, from Multibit module to separate bifrost multibit with usb gen5. The difference was larger then expected.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #25 of 38
First post! I presently have a Jotunheim multibit and a Focal Elex. Does anyone think the El Amp and El Dac combo would be an upgrade?

This is a tough question. I’ve not heard the Jot before, but do have a mimby and El amp. I’ve not heard the EL dac either. From what i’ve read from others the Jot is generally considered to be a bright amp, While i find my El Amp to be neutral. The mimby i have is on the warmer side, and i’ve read the El dac is slightly warmer in tone. So by putting all this together it leads me to gues that your current setup leans towards a more neutral signature, while changing to the El amp and El dac stack would result in a little bit more warmth. All this I’m writing could just be bs though as i’ve not heard some of them, so be warned.

I do like my El amp. I’m actually chilling now listening to it with my senn hd6xx. Its getting fed from and iphone to emotiva big ego that’s functional as a usb to toslink converter. The toslink is being sent to my modi 3 dac and its a very detailed, yet relaxing presentation. The modi 3 uses akm chips like the el dac and I generally prefer them in delta sigma dacs from experience. Hope this help you.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #26 of 38
53C9CFA2-0341-4B0E-9D36-F96170DE4B4A.jpeg

I’ve been enjoying this little setup next to my daddy’s chair. El amp is working nicely here with the modi 3 and hd6xx. The emotiva big ego is being used as a usb to toslink converter for that galvanic isolation everyone is promoting nowadays :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 38
I surprised this thread is so short and hasn't been active for quite some time. From everything I've seen about the JDS EL Amp has been very positive and I think more people would have them. Well I guess it will have a little more activity come up since I just ordered one.

I was trying to decide between these or the Burson Fun and ultimately decided on the EL because I didn't see myself op-amp rolling much and I like the way people described how it sounds. I'll be pairing it with my Mimby and feel like it's a nice step up from my Magni3. I don't know how fast JDS' shipping is but I hope to have it sometime next week.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 38
OMG, I've been using the EL for only a few hours but man is it like night and day compared to my Schiit Magni3 and Vali 2, its not even close. Everything just sounds better and luckily paired with the Mimby it sounds great. All you hear is crystal clear music with no coloration at all and the blackest background I've heard yet. All my headphones sound better but the Sendy Aiva really does live up to the hype now because it sounds amazing. So glad I purchased this amp and can't wait to listen to for long sessions. Why this isn't a more popular amp on Head-Fi I don't understand.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #29 of 38
I don't know why this amp isn't more popular on here. It's head and shoulders above the Magni3 and Vali 2. I know it costs more being almost $300 but it's well worth it when you compare it to cheaper amps like the ones from Schiit. Everything sounds so much cleaner on the EL vs the Magni and it has a darker background as well. Plenty of power to push any headphone out side say the HE-6 or something like that. Seriously though anyone looking for a new amp should really consider the EL Amp because it truly is a great amp and worth every penny imo.

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #30 of 38
I got my Audeze LCD-2C phones the other day and have been listening to them on a couple of amps I have. I've tried them on the O2 amp, Magni 3 and the EL amp. Out of all the combos i've tried, I by far prefer them with the EL Amp along with the Topping D50 dac. This pairing has a smoothness to it while still being extremely detailed. That allows me to hear everything in the recording, while not becoming fatigued at all after long sessions. This holds true even as I raise the volume to higher than normal levels, where amps like the Magni 3 become much more fatiguing. Even the O2 amp is a bit harsh as you raise the volume compared to the EL Amp. Its the definition of clean sound as far as my senses are concerned. I absolutely recommend the pairing of the LCD-2C, Topping D50 and EL Amp.

I am really intrested in the EL AMP to run with my LCD-2C. Some reviewers claim it is a bit dark sounding but very neutral in the same way. How are the highs on the 2C along with the EL AMP, compared to the other amps you mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back