JDS Labs EL Amp impressions
Nov 10, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 38
I am really intrested in the EL AMP to run with my LCD-2C. Some reviewers claim it is a bit dark sounding but very neutral in the same way. How are the highs on the 2C along with the EL AMP, compared to the other amps you mentioned?

Its been a while since I had either piece, but the el amp did sound good with the 2c. Highs were neutral but did get a bit shouty as you raised the volume

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 38
I'm with BubbaJay. Just swapped out the Magni 3 (not the Plus) for the El Amp II and I am enjoying everything about it. Especially with my HD600s it no longer has the brutal SPL that becomes fatiguing on high gain. The free engraving is a nice touch, too.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #33 of 38
I'm with BubbaJay. Just swapped out the Magni 3 (not the Plus) for the El Amp II and I am enjoying everything about it. Especially with my HD600s it no longer has the brutal SPL that becomes fatiguing on high gain. The free engraving is a nice touch, too.

I honestly think the EL Amp pairs well with the Sennheisers. I actually have the element (1st gen) and it makes my HD650s sound very engaging.

I can't say the same for it powering the Hifimans though. For some reason, it makes the HE-500 sound awefully thin and bright on higher volumes compared to my iFi Micro iCAN SE powering the HE-500.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #34 of 38
JDS EL AMP II pairs great with both my HEXv2 and Solaris. I was quite surprised to find zero hiss with extremely sensitive Solaris.
2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #35 of 38
JDS EL AMP II pairs great with both my HEXv2 and Solaris. I was quite surprised to find zero hiss with extremely sensitive Solaris.
2.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
Do you use high gain on the EL Amp for powering the Anandas?

For reference, these are my observations with my main two headphones so far:

With my PC (90% volume on Software Mixer) -> Element DAC -> Element AMP -> HD650
== Low-gain is great sounding and the HD650s sound even across the frequencies
== High-gain gives the mid-bass a boost; making them more engaging for EDM tracks and tracks that use varying bass guitars

When switching the headphone on the chain above to the Hifiman HE-500:
== Low gain is ok sounding, but need higher volume pot to match listening level of HD650. Consequently, higher volume is making mids shouty and bass is becoming thin
== High gain makes all frequencies more balanced when increasing the volume pot compared to low-gain. Bass is even sounding to mids and highs

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #36 of 38
Do you use high gain on the EL Amp for powering the Anandas?

For reference, these are my observations with my main two headphones so far:

With my PC (90% volume on Software Mixer) -> Element DAC -> Element AMP -> HD650
== Low-gain is great sounding and the HD650s sound even across the frequencies
== High-gain gives the mid-bass a boost; making them more engaging for EDM tracks and tracks that use varying bass guitars

When switching the headphone on the chain above to the Hifiman HE-500:
== Low gain is ok sounding, but need higher volume pot to match listening level of HD650. Consequently, higher volume is making mids shouty and bass is becoming thin
== High gain makes all frequencies more balanced when increasing the volume pot compared to low-gain. Bass is even sounding to mids and highs
That's interesting. I honestly can't tell the difference between low/high gain when volume matched. I find EQ APO very useful to tune the headphones to my liking though.
P.S. That's Hifiman Edition X V2, not the Anandas :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back