JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,591 of 3,417

An optional engraving uploader will be added to the checkout process this week to minimize confusion. We accept any file format. Solid black-and-white images are preferred:
IMAGE REQUIREMENTS
  1. Color Depth: Black-and-white or grayscale
  2. Resolution: Vector, or minimum 600ppi (1 inch = 1*600 = 600 pixels)

Dark colors of your image will be engraved and white areas will be ignored. Therefore, we do not recommend images with a colored background.

Is the printed/engraved color on both color cases still that white/off-white?  I assume so, but people might like to know.  They also might like to know that JDS does a great job with the engraving.  I love my custom C5 case.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,592 of 3,417

Is the printed/engraved color on both color cases still that white/off-white?  I assume so, but people might like to know.  They also might like to know that JDS does a great job with the engraving.  I love my custom C5 case.

Yes, all engraving on anodized aluminum produces a white color regardless of original surface color. Color is exactly what you see in our product photos.

We've seen some really interesting artwork come through and may open a user photo gallery soon.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,594 of 3,417
Hey everyone, I probably messed up by posting my review of the C5D as a separate thread ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/690778/jds-labs-c5d-headphone-amp-dac ).  I'm sorry if I should have posted it inside this thread.  Or should I have added it as a review to the Review's section of the forum?

Please advise as to what I should do (if anything) and I apologize if I screwed up.

I haven't gone through much of this thread so far, but I was wondering how people are finding the battery life of thier iPhone while using the C5D?  From my short time observing so far, I would say that it drains about 1 percent of the battery for every song.  Figuring that a song is 4 minutes, that's a totally playing time of 400 minutes, or about 6.5 hours or so.  That's way short of the playing time straight out of the iPhone.  I assume that the CPU has to work harder to route the digital stream through the Lightning port?  Or possibly my experience is unusual?  What are others finding?

On another topic, I will be ordering some USB mini-B 5 pin plugs with solder connections from mouser to see how difficult it is to mod the CCK cable, how well it turns out, etc.  I will post my experiences here.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #1,595 of 3,417
I also noticed that the battery on my iPhone 5s goes down pretty quick when connected via the CCK. The charger is turned off on my C5D, so it must be a result of the iPhone and CCK just sucking power. This is just a limit with the media player, not a problem with the C5D.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,596 of 3,417
Yeah.  I didn't think that it was a problem with the C5D or anything.  I also figured it was just the CPU working a bit harder than using the onboard audio codec.  But it definitely is something worth noting and gathering data on.  Just how much battery life does your iPhone have when feeding the C5D?  It'd be good if we had a nice sampling of C5D owners reporting on this.  Perhaps people have already discussed this earlier?

I still haven't read this thread from pg 96 on, but I will do so soon.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,597 of 3,417
Order placed! I suspect I failed big time on the engraving part, but meh, it's the product that matters!

Can't wait for my first amp(+dac) ^^

Lastly, thanks again for your quick replies and for being awesome in general, @jseaber & Co!

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,598 of 3,417
Got my replacement in the mail yesterday; it sounds great. 
smile.gif

At any rate, I noticed when first plugging it in to my PC that my rig identified it as a "Speakers" device labeled "C5D Headphone Amp DAC". My original C5D was identified as a "S/PDIF" device which I believe was labeled something along the lines of "Bravo-X". (I can't remember the exact label assigned, and can't check either as I have already packed the original C5D for mailing.) I don't know if that anomaly is a sign of anything or important, but I figured I'd let jseaber know just in case.

Anyway, thanks again! I plan to mail the faulty C5D back tomorrow, FYI.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,599 of 3,417
  Got my replacement in the mail yesterday; it sounds great. 
smile.gif

At any rate, I noticed when first plugging it in to my PC that my rig identified it as a "Speakers" device labeled "C5D Headphone Amp DAC". My original C5D was identified as a "S/PDIF" device which I believe was labeled something along the lines of "Bravo-X". (I can't remember the exact label assigned, and can't check either as I have already packed the original C5D for mailing.) I don't know if that anomaly is a sign of anything or important, but I figured I'd let jseaber know just in case.

Anyway, thanks again! I plan to mail the faulty C5D back tomorrow, FYI.

"Bravo-X" is the default DAC controller name. After the first day of shipments, we began double checking for "C5D".

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #1,600 of 3,417
Just wanted to interject something...unrelated to the current discussion...received my C5 today.  I ordered it on 11/18.  As has been said before, great service from JDS labs, and a great product.  I am using it with 32Gb iPod Touch (4G) and 160 Gb iPod Classic (7G); SE215's and B&W P5's.  Sounds great. New life to my gear.  Anyone considering an amp for these devices need look no further.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #1,601 of 3,417
The extra juice the iPhone is using is probably extra CPU used by audio codecs apple doesn't support, that is if you're using any, and also powering the digital out connection. I would assume ~150mah or so.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,605 of 3,417
Just read everything from page 96. Will be ordering. I believe even with import taxes it should be cheaper than ordering from EU based on the C5 price in EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back