JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #1,576 of 3,417
CCK = Camera Connection Kit (the thing that was originally sold for the iPad to allow you to connect USB devices and camera SD cards to your iPad)

iOS 7 compatibility works right from the get-go for the C5D. On their website, the price is fixed at $249 USD.

VERZA can charge the iDevice, C5D does not. VERZA has the docking system for METALLO, obviously the C5D does not. VERZA has the micro-USB port for Android devices and full-sized USB port for iOS devices, C5D only has a mini-USB port. VERZA has a 1-year limited warranty, C5D has a 2-year plan (both have great customer support, but from my experience, JDS Labs is much quicker and straightforward). VERZA has a power output of 260 mW at 32 Ω (iOS mode), C5D has 43.6 mW. VERZA has a run time of about 7 hours, C5D is listed at 7-12 hours. I can't tell you much about the VERZA's specifications since there are hardly any listed (just signal-noise ratio and "distortion") compared to the C5D. VERZA has optical out, C5D does not. C5D supports 24/96 playback, VERZA is unknown. C5D has a 3-way bass boost switch with published gains and frequencies, VERZA has 1 at an unknown gain and frequencies. VERZA has a 3D DSP feature, C5D does not. VERZA uses an "analog" potentiometer, C5D uses a re-programmable digital one. VERZA comes with the 30-pin iDevice-USB, micro-USB-micro-USB, and micro-USB-USB cables, C5D comes with a single 3-foot long mini-USB-USB cable. This isn't really a difference per se, but JDS Labs offers free laser etchings on the C5D, V-MODA does not.

As listed on their website:
  • Max Output @ 32Ω 1.182 VRMS = 43.66 mW
  • Max Output @ 150Ω 3.580 VRMS = 85.44 mW
  • Max Output @ 600Ω 4.146 VRMS = 28.64 mW

The original C5 is good enough with the Alpha Dog and Mad Dog, and the original C5 had a higher output impedance which decreased the power output at 32 Ω.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,577 of 3,417
CCK = Camera Connection Kit (the thing that was originally sold for the iPad to allow you to connect USB devices and camera SD cards to your iPad)

iOS 7 compatibility works right from the get-go for the C5D. On their website, the price is fixed at $249 USD.

VERZA can charge the iDevice, C5D does not. VERZA has the docking system for METALLO, obviously the C5D does not. VERZA has the micro-USB port for Android devices and full-sized USB port for iOS devices, C5D only has a mini-USB port. VERZA has a 1-year limited warranty, C5D has a 2-year plan (both have great customer support, but from my experience, JDS Labs is much quicker and straightforward). VERZA has a power output of 260 mW at 32 Ω (iOS mode), C5D has 43.6 mW. VERZA has a run time of about 7 hours, C5D is listed at 7-12 hours. I can't tell you much about the VERZA's specifications since there are hardly any listed (just signal-noise ratio and "distortion") compared to the C5D. VERZA has optical out, C5D does not. C5D supports 24/96 playback, VERZA is unknown. C5D has a 3-way bass boost switch with published gains and frequencies, VERZA has 1 at an unknown gain and frequencies. VERZA has a 3D DSP feature, C5D does not. VERZA uses an "analog" potentiometer, C5D uses a re-programmable digital one. VERZA comes with the 30-pin iDevice-USB, micro-USB-micro-USB, and micro-USB-USB cables, C5D comes with a single 3-foot long mini-USB-USB cable. This isn't really a difference per se, but JDS Labs offers free laser etchings on the C5D, V-MODA does not.

1. Max Output @ 32Ω 1.182 VRMS = 43.66 mW
  2. Max Output @ 150Ω 3.580 VRMS = 85.44 mW
  3. Max Output @ 600Ω 4.146 VRMS = 28.64 mW

The original C5 is good enough with the Alpha Dog and Mad Dog, and the original C5 had a higher output impedance which decreased the power output at 32 Ω.

Thank you for the info.  Regarding the power output, isn't that LESS than most smartphones?

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,578 of 3,417
Like to ask John if he has any updates on the various custom short USB cables that he plans to sell along with the JDS C5D? Know that he has other issues on his mind the last few days but whether I can get a short mini-USB to micro-USB cable is the only thing stopping me from getting the C5D.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,579 of 3,417

• Max Output @ 32Ω 1.182 VRMS = 43.66 mW
  • Max Output @ 150Ω 3.580 VRMS = 85.44 mW
  • Max Output @ 600Ω 4.146 VRMS = 28.64 mW

Thank you for the info.  Regarding the power output, isn't that LESS than most smartphones?

Are the power output specifications of smartphones usually published? I can assure you the C5 gets louder than the iPhone 4S with my trusty Sennheiser CX-300 earphones. XD

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,580 of 3,417
Are the power output specifications of smartphones usually published? I can assure you the C5 gets louder than the iPhone 4S with my trusty Sennheiser CX-300 earphones. XD

They're not published. Most output <= 1.0VRMS, so C5D is stronger. The following sensitivity table is useful for determining headphone suitability:

dB/mW ↓Power (mW) Required for 115dB

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,581 of 3,417

We have rubber bands in stock. Mention your request during checkout and we'll send a few for free. These will soon be part of standard packaging (not quite there yet).

Should send them to all the C5 owners who are using FiiO bands instead of JDS Labs bands! (AKA ME) 
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,582 of 3,417
wiiiihooo :) order placed!

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,583 of 3,417
Wow perfect news! Already shipped to MA!

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,586 of 3,417
Sweet, can we expect some form of review when it arrives? :3

Currently waiting for the distrubutor in Germany to get it in stock so I can order :frowning2:

Ill do one of course but i think other people in the states will beat me to it!

The c5d is going to a different location than the one im at currently, ills ee it in a couple of weeks! Cant wait!

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #1,589 of 3,417
Headsound Audio is on vacation and requested that we delay shipment until Nov 22. Expect arrival late next week.

Ah, well there goes any patience I had -.-, really feeling the urge to order directly from you guys

Thanks for the headsup though, ^^

edit: Alright I don't feel like waiting and would like to order directly from you despite the customs/import fees.
I just wonder if anyone could give some instructions on how the actual image for custom engraving should be like? I've read the FAQ regarding engraving on the jds website, and I've read somewhere that it should be in .pdf. Anything else? Colors? Does it matter if I choose a red or black C5D?

I apologize for the slightly annoying questions, but I have tried searching around for answers ):

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,590 of 3,417
edit: Alright I don't feel like waiting and would like to order directly from you despite the customs/import fees.
I just wonder if anyone could give some instructions on how the actual image for custom engraving should be like? I've read the FAQ regarding engraving on the jds website, and I've read somewhere that it should be in .pdf. Anything else? Colors? Does it matter if I choose a red or black C5D?

I apologize for the slightly annoying questions, but I have tried searching around for answers ):

An optional engraving uploader will be added to the checkout process this week to minimize confusion. We accept any file format. Solid black-and-white images are preferred:
IMAGE REQUIREMENTS
  1. Color Depth: Black-and-white or grayscale
  2. Resolution: Vector, or minimum 600ppi (1 inch = 1*600 = 600 pixels)

Dark colors of your image will be engraved and white areas will be ignored. Therefore, we do not recommend images with a colored background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back