JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Oct 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,366 of 3,417
Currently I'm looking for a new amp and I would like to have a very transparent one without any boosts in any region. Does C5 meets this criteria? Or maybe c421 would be better?

Definitely C5 if you're after transparency. Output impedance of c421 was very high, which resulted in coloured frequency response with some headphones below 80 ohms. C5 has ideal output impedance and frequency response.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,367 of 3,417

Currently I'm looking for a new amp and I would like to have a very transparent one without any boosts in any region. Does C5 meets this criteria? Or maybe c421 would be better?

Definitely C5 if you're after transparency. Output impedance of c421 was very high, which resulted in coloured frequency response with some headphones below 80 ohms. C5 has ideal output impedance and frequency response.

It's as neutral as the best amps I've heard.  It's surprisingly reference for the price.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,370 of 3,417
I'm planning to buy the C5 but I want to use my SoundMagic PL11 and PC as source with it. Isn't the bass boost picky on the kind of earphones you use? I mean, will the bass really increase no matter what earphones you use? 

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,371 of 3,417
My Phonak Audeo PFE 012's with the grey filters respond well to the C5's bass boost, that said they're not fullest sounding earphones out there. I've not heard the PL11's, hopefully another Head-Fier can chime in.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,372 of 3,417
  My Phonak Audeo PFE 012's with the grey filters respond well to the C5's bass boost, that said they're not fullest sounding earphones out there. I've not heard the the PL11's, hopefully another Head-Fier can chime in.

I have a great pfe grey filter eq if you want to try it.  What device are you using?

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,375 of 3,417

With the transparency is there a lot of separation. This would important, I'm looking for something to open up my DX50 more.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,376 of 3,417
Hey everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on this amp but I still have one question. How much configuration is possible in terms of the bass boost on this unit? I read that changing out some components on the board will change the amount of bass boost. Is there a software component to this frequency modification as well? 

What I'm really after is running custom DSP on the microcontroller. I want to make custom contours to equalize frequency response.

Something tells me this is out of the question for a microcontroller of this type but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #1,377 of 3,417
The software part is to change the volume steps and LED, the bass boost is hardware. Changing some resistors will change the bass boost, you'll have to talk to John at JDS about it.

There's a surprise in store from JDS Labs, coming next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back