JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,336 of 3,417
Quote:

Frequency response is flat in both gain modes. Bass boost, THD, and max output power change between the two levels.

What am I hearing different?  Could the thd be detectable?  Isn't it ridiculously low on low gain already?  Perhaps it's just that the c5 is better in general and comparing the gain modes is hard without volume matching?

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,337 of 3,417
Quote:
comparing the gain modes is hard without volume matching?

That is quite likely, a volume difference can easily be perceived as a subtle quality difference, and it is very hard to match accurately enough by ear. People frequently think high gain (even digital high gain) sounds better, which is most probably simply because it is louder.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,340 of 3,417

Perfectly safe. C5 will only charge when the battery level drops below 95%.

Fantastic. Alright that's it I've been setting my eyes on this device for a long time now, was introduced to it by a friend who had this very amp. I needed a good portable amp that could also be used in a desktop configuration, to drive my DT880 Pros 250 Ohm through either of my Fiio devices the Olympus E10 and the Taishan D03K. I know I'll be delighted. It's a wonderful piece of engineering I must say. I'm going to order one.

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,345 of 3,417
I mean the mod c5 with ud100 dac.

That's not a buyable option yet since it was a D.I.Y. project.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-portable-amplifier-appreciation-discussion-thread-check-1st-post-for-review/360#post_9216039

In other news, I found a new portable rig that sounds much better than the iPhone 4S + FiiO L9 + C5 + V-MODA Crossfade M-100 rig I was using beforehand:

^ iPod Video 5G (one of the two iPods with the Wolfson DAC: WM87588G)
Musical bliss right there, and portable too. :)

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #1,350 of 3,417
I stay Tampines :)

Demo only though? Do they sell?

Most probably they sell it too, coz they shown the prices for members and non-members as well. :)
The new all black casing looks very sleek. My ex C5 was the slate casing with shiny face plate, so colour matching was a bit hard :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back