JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,036 of 3,417
When it comes to investing to in the audio chain I like to refer to the article from this http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1921&m=0

Read the article and see the figure below then decide for yourself which you think is the better....a dac or earphones or for that matter cables and as you can see the end of the chain is the most benificial to invest your time and money in.

Figure 2. The approximate range of distortion in sound reproduction in dB scale (FR only)

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,037 of 3,417
Quote:
and my C5 actually has a few non-anodised bare spots on the inside of the aluminum enclosure (these was here when I first opened it up but I never mentioned it since it's not a big deal to me):

That's one of the first batch cases. The anodizer didn't consider the inside important; that appearance is caused by placement of their clamp. They've since improved the process, so clamp marks are no longer visible.

We'll be adding bare cases to the store soon. Here's a photo taken last week:

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #1,039 of 3,417
That's one of the first batch cases. The anodizer didn't consider the inside important; that appearance is caused by placement of their clamp. They've since improved the process, so clamp marks are no longer visible.

I've always thought that those areas missing the anodising in the inside were cause by the battery hitting it slightly when the board is slided in and out of the case but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway good to hear your offering the case as a separate item. How about the front and back panel, Are those going to be available too?

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,040 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

I've always thought that those areas missing the anodising in the inside were cause by the battery hitting it slightly when the board is slided in and out of the case but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway good to hear your offering the case as a separate item. How about the front and back panel, Are those going to be available too?

@ jseaber
Ah that's good to hear. I figured it might be a clamp of some sort since the bare spots are similar in size and shape.

@ rckyosho
Yeah I'm curious too. Black looks mighty fancy:

@ jseaber again
Is the bright-dipping technique adding a gloss finish to the anodised aluminum or does it still have the "chalkboard" texture? I was actually going to write on my review of the C5 that its texture reminds me of a chalkboard, and I really like that feeling, hahaha.

^ both images were from JDS Labs aluminium blog entry

The red bright-dipped C5 in particular reminds me of the Product Red line of Apple products in-person (online photos make the products look brighter than they actually are).

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,041 of 3,417

Quote:

Sure!

jseaber again
Is the bright-dipping technique adding a gloss finish to the anodised aluminum or does it still have the "chalkboard" texture? I was actually going to write on my review of the C5 that its texture reminds me of a chalkboard, and I really like that feeling, hahaha.

^ both images were from JDS Labs aluminium blog entry

The red bright-dipped C5 in particular reminds me of the Product Red line of Apple products in-person (online photos make the products look brighter than they actually are).

That was our goal. Glad you can see the resemblance.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #1,042 of 3,417
I may buy the red enclosure with black faceplates... We'll see

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,045 of 3,417
Quote:
About the black plates, do scratches easily show up on it?
With the silver panels I have on the O2, ODAC, and C5, there are definite signs of scratches from me missing the audio jacks when trying to put a cable in, ahaha.

I'm not sure if I have the newest revision of anodizing, etc., but here is my black amp after a few months of use.  I use it every single day probably about 3-4 hours on average.  I don't see any "noticeable" scratches, but there are some small ones if you look at the right angle with the light.  Also, it seems to wear the most around the rounded edges.

Overall, I'd say it's reasonable wear for how much I use it.  I do try to care for it and placed four rubber sticky bumpers on both sides so nothing rubs it, but it does sit in a plastic container with some cables and adapters.  While it's fairly snug in the case, it's possible it's getting wear from rubbing the cables.  The scratches look worse in the photos because of the lighting though...

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,048 of 3,417
I brought mine on a flight to Hawaii.  Didn't run into any issues.  I've also brought my CMoyBB on a flight to Taiwan.
Quote:
I'm going to be flying from boston to dallas in July.  Does anyone know if I can bring my C5 on the plane with me? I would be really upset if they confiscated it at the gate or something.  I know it's just an amplifier, but would they know and allow it?  Anyone have any experience with this?

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #1,050 of 3,417
Quote:
"like" this idea too, got a few scratches on my red on
frown.gif
now its hiding in a portable charger's sleeve.

The bright dipped finishes are much tougher, although no aluminum surface is 100% scratch resistant.

Cases and endplates are now available:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back