JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #961 of 3,417
Yeah that's the fun part of this hobby for me I guess...the variety and subjective part and perception of each individual when it comes to sound/equipment preferences.....it will be boring if everyone's view/choices/opinions is the same.... and if I was being objective than I would have to say that the O2 and C5 or in fact many well built amps would actually sound the same.(Ok I might get flaked for this statement but...)
I remember sometime back there is actually this amp challenge that you could try and win 10,000 dollars by trying to identify the sound diffenrence in two amps...any two amps if I'm not wrong, though I'm not too sure if you could still try it now and if I'm not wrong nobody has yet to win it.
Let me see if I could find the faq link to it.......ok below is it.
http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/

I personally believe that and also that it has been proven scientifically with blind testing. Not to say every amp sounds the same, but that some are indistinguishable from one another but people will still think they hear a difference.

May 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #962 of 3,417
The difference between a cheap cmoy and O2 are definitely audible. And I think there are slight differences between O2 and C5 but as I said, slight differences. Not night and day, but I think they are there. I love this hobby because we all hear differently and most of the time people are civilised and agree to disagree. The subjectivity is fun and makes for interesting discussions, but at the end of the day it's only ones opinion.

May 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #963 of 3,417
I got an opportunity to try both the C5 and the O2 at a local meet in Seattle over the weekend and I preferd the O2 by a bit.  I'm sure miceblue will chime in as we hear differently and he finds them to sound closer than I do.  By the way we were using different DAP's for our findings, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well.

With my Colorfly C3 the O2 sounded heartier with an element to it's signature that I just cant quite put my finger on.  I'm seriously thinking about getting it to pair with my DT 770 Pro which needs power to sound not so mid lacking (I know the 770's are).

My C&C BH has the power to drive the DT 770's but not to my sonic satisfaction.  When I ran it through a Coffman Labs HA-1 (desktop tube amp) the DT770's sounded great.

I'm hoping the O2 may be able to deliver a similar characteristic and bring out the best in the DT 770 Pro.

May 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #964 of 3,417
Quote:
The subjectivity is fun and makes for interesting discussions, but at the end of the day it's only ones opinion.

I agree and disagree.  In terms of "what we hear" that is not the case.  There are definitely differences in a lot of amps.  But there are also amps with no audible differences.  In this case, when people say they hear a difference, despite the fact that a double blind test shows 100% undetectability in the difference between two amps, they are hearing the same thing as the person who thinks they sound the same, they just won't admin it.

On the other end of the spectrum, what does it really matter?  If someone "thinks" an amp sound better and gets more enjoyment from it then who cares otherwise?  Let them have their enjoyment.  You might want to save them money or something, but otherwise, let them enjoy the amp and don't think anything of it in my opinion.  This hobby should be one of enjoyment.

However, when it comes to researching and choosing amps or any audio gear, one needs to be cautious of opinions vs. actual differences.  This can be extremely difficult, but I suggest taking in opinions, views, graphs, audio testing and studies, etc.  And making an educated decision based on the average indication they all point to.  Just my thoughts.

Again, not every amp is equal, but then again some that seem unequal may be more equal than you think. :p  The bottom line, as I always say, is to enjoy your gear.  Listen to your music.  Really, enjoy the hell out of it.  lol  That's always my goal. :)

May 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #965 of 3,417
Yes, very true, we're here to enjoy the music not listen to the gear. And that's what's great about the C5 it lets you listen to the music, not the amps colouration.

May 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #966 of 3,417
I sold my C421 when I got the C5. C421 is more fun and in your face, C5 is smoother more civilized and transparent.

May 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #967 of 3,417
since this is the C5 appreciation thread, I really seriously want to say that I freaking appreciate the C5.  It has enhanced my musical experience like never before.  Perhaps the best pairing is with an xba 40 (with standard sony tips, not the tips that come with the xba 40).  There are just some moments in my tracks that the music pauses and there is only silence for a split second, but that silence is so breath taking!  so intense!  It's silent, yet your ears hear something that make your knees buckle.  Could it be that the xba 40's have reached the legendary 1 hz range?!  

Anyone got a C5 and wanna see if they can also feel the silent rumble at 2:40?  If you got a different iem, you might be like What are you talking about.  (that means you definitely need the c5+xba 40 pairing to hear/feel it)  warning:  this is futuristic j trance(techno?) voodoo so don't listen if you hate that stuff.  Remember, skip to 2:40 and listen from there if you don't wanna enjoy the music: 

mediafire.com/?n96q2pc46s6cmvl 

May 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #969 of 3,417
Yes, very true, we're here to enjoy the music not listen to the gear. And that's what's great about the C5 it lets you listen to the music, not the amps colouration.

The enjoyment of music is of course the number one reason why we go into this hobby but I like fooling around with all the gears needed to do so and
it's ironic though cause I like color and will color my sound with what I perceived as a warmer/darker/brighter sounding amps though I like my source to be transparent and not altering the sound in any way possible which most sources do.That is why I guess I own solid states, tube amps and hybrids I guess.Though I think that 99 percent of the sound signature is actually dictated by the headphones/iems one chooses so it's better to put the time,energy and money in getting that to your liking.

May 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #970 of 3,417
Quote:
Anyone want to do a comparison with te Fiio E12
smily_headphones1.gif

I posted my impressions in the FiiO E12 thread, but I definitely think the C5 is worth the price difference.

Comparisons to E12, the C5 has:
  1. A more pocket-friendly interface
  2. A more portable form-factor
  3. More space for jacks on the front-plate
  4. Easier-to-use volume controls
  5. A deeper, larger "theater" bass boost [perhaps pre-mass-release E12 would have been like this]
  6. A larger soundstage with better instrument separation
  7. A sound quality closer to my reference amp, Objective 2
  8. A clearer midrange
  9. More detail in the treble
  10. A more fatiguing during long listening sessions
  11. No channel imbalance
  12. No noise on high-gain mode
  13. A shorter battery life (10-11 hours versus the E12's 15-16 hours)

May 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #971 of 3,417
Miceblue, if you don't mind me asking do you drive your 701's with the C5? 

May 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #973 of 3,417
I've been using the C5 for about a week now with my tralucent1plus2 and the combination is excellent.

I have to admit that the C5 bass boost is incredibly addictive. I don't use for all music but for most of my stuff it's a perfect fit. The 1plus2 have incredible bass - not just great bass "for an IEM" - but with the C5 bass boost it's ridiculous. It's almost head shaking at times. seriously reminds me of the LCD2 or, for a more direct comparison of something I still own - the MD7000 bass. It's not quite as big but it's close and, I would say, better controlled with only a little less impact. Very, very impressive.

The combination of the C5 and the 1plus2 is great. I might have found a portable solution that's finally good enough to match (and replace) my previous desktop listening stations.

May 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #975 of 3,417
Miceblue, if you don't mind me asking do you drive your 701's with the C5? 

Yup. I actually prefer the K 701 with the C5, and especially with the bass boost for gaming and movie watching, over the O2, but the O2 definitely has a larger-sounding soundstage and better instrument separation to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back