JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #916 of 3,417
Quote:
:xf_eek:( wow really only a small improvement over a ipod geesh.

are you using any kind of LOD or just a 3.5 to 3.5mm? 

also are you still using the stock cable with the w4r or any kind of upgrade cable?

I'm using the fiio l3/l9.  Stock 4r cable. When I said "small", I suppose that term is relative.  It's big enough that I would never want to listen to my ipod without the amp, even if it was a little more inconvenient. ha.  So, to me it's noticeable enough.  But I think some people comparing them side by side might think "oh that's not really much better".  But then again, I suppose I "am" on an audiophile forum. :p haha. 

May 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #917 of 3,417
Quote:
I'm using the so called "Tactical Molle Utility Gear Shoulder Sling" like below...

It comes in 3 sizes and colors....amazon or ebay should have these available.

That's cool.  I'm using an old nintendo "zelda" sling bag made for a wii.  It works well, but the shape is more teardrop so it makes it a tad too small for my liking.  Your bag looks more like my 5.11 rush 12 bag I use most of the year.  Now that it's warm and I don't need winter stuff I want a smaller sling...  That site that was linked is cool.  I'll have to keep searching...

May 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #918 of 3,417
Will [COLOR=FF0000]this[/COLOR] do? Dimension for the case 100x65x15mm (LxWxD) while the C5 dimension is 99.5x61.5x14mm(LxWxD)

size]

Thanks for that. Placed an order for one to carry my C5. :)

May 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #919 of 3,417
Just got the c5 a few hours ago.  It's alot brighter compared to the e11, bass is just as powerful, maybe too powerful.  It caused my xba 40's to distort at medium bass volumes, whereas the e11 can crank the bass pretty high before the 40's started distorting.  My perception is that its bass hump is slightly higher than the e11's (hence the theater bass sound?), which is why the xba 40's distort at lower bass volumes on the c5.  My SOL republic tracks HD can handle the bass just fine though, so it's not the amp.  Anyway, it's so clear that I'm actually enjoying metal/rock/strings/voices again.  I stopped listening to that type since i got the 40 and e11 because they just didn't sound right haha.

Edit: nvm about the issues with bass, its just a tad bit more powerful than the e11
beyersmile.png

The brightness and clarity just tricked me into thinking bass was weaker than it really is.  I feel that the balance between bass and clarity is really damn good with this amp!  I won't need the zo2 anymore!  Does anyone have a jh16pro and a c5, and wanna let me know how they pair up?  Especially with the bass boost on?

May 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #920 of 3,417
Got my C5 a week ago. I feel that C5 is bright. May be a little bit too bright for my taste but when I pair it with my other m2m in stead of ALO SXC, it make the sound a lot warmer and that's a good thing to me. Here is my set up.

May 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #922 of 3,417
Code:
I've noticed a lot of people calling the c5 bright. Personally, I have to stress that it isn't bright. It's very flat. There are many factors that affect how it sounds with different earphones, such as impedance. What is most likely the case is that the last amp someone had was a different impedance causing attenuation. Now they're hear their earphones as they should sound. With a <2 ohm output it's very accurate to an earphone's intended sound based on impedance.

Just saying, take everyone's opinions, but realize the sound they hear is a result of many factors and not really indicative that the amp itself is bright or bassy or otherwise. The c5 has a very very flat response. :)

May 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #923 of 3,417
Either way, I'm loving that flat response.  Just several hours alone with the C5 caused me to throw my zo2 and fiio e11 into the closet! 

May 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #924 of 3,417
Late last night, listening to an album I know well
which happens to have an exquisite production,
I felt I liked the C5 over the O2.  I've been doing
this comparison for a couple of weeks, but last
night I heard a slightly more open soundstage 
and slightly more clarity from the C5.

I'm going to hunt around to see if there's a thread 
perhaps better suited for this post, but I did want
to post it before it evaporated into trying to do
it perfectly.

Album: Year of the Cat (remastered version),
Artist: Al Stewart
Producer: Alan Parsons
Player: Sansa Fuze 8GB
LOD: Custom
File Type: FLAC
Headphones: Sony MDR-7520

May 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #925 of 3,417
Quote:
Got my C5 a week ago. I feel that C5 is bright. May be a little bit too bright for my taste but when I pair it with my other m2m in stead of ALO SXC, it make the sound a lot warmer and that's a good thing to me. Here is my set up.

I believe I saw your dd and c5 rig in the dd thread. I use mine a lot with a stiff headphone cable and the rig sitting on a desktop. The fact that the usb and line out are on opposite ends of the dd is a little inconvenient for me since the ipod is upside down to where I'm sitting....looks like you have the same thing going on. I think I'll buy a long mini to mini cable or longer usb and run it the length of the rig so I can have everything oriented the 'right' way. Anyway....here's a crappy pic of my c5/ dd rig.

(image missing)

May 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #926 of 3,417
Late last night, listening to an album I know well
which happens to have an exquisite production,
I felt I liked the C5 over the O2.  I've been doing
this comparison for a couple of weeks, but last
night I heard a slightly more open soundstage 
and slightly more clarity from the C5.

I'm going to hunt around to see if there's a thread 
perhaps better suited for this post, but I did want
to post it before it evaporated into trying to do
it perfectly.

Album: Year of the Cat (remastered version),
Artist: Al Stewart
Producer: Alan Parsons
Player: Sansa Fuze 8GB
LOD: Custom
File Type: FLAC
Headphones: Sony MDR-7520

AP is the MAN!

May 2, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #928 of 3,417
+1 on AP, a month ago i was to his concert, by far one of my most favorite musicians and never forget he was producing Pink Floyd for some time and PF for me is the top rock group along with LZ and YES.

May 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #929 of 3,417
Quote:
Code:
Code:
I've noticed a lot of people calling the c5 bright. Personally, I have to stress that it isn't bright. It's very flat. There are many factors that affect how it sounds with different earphones, such as impedance. What is most likely the case is that the last amp someone had was a different impedance causing attenuation. Now they're hear their earphones as they should sound. With a <2 ohm output it's very accurate to an earphone's intended sound based on impedance.

Just saying, take everyone's opinions, but realize the sound they hear is a result of many factors and not really indicative that the amp itself is bright or bassy or otherwise. The c5 has a very very flat response. :)

Those are ALOT of great points. 

i think alot of other things not taking into consideration.

#1 headphones or earphones- i dont feel alot of people are taking into consideration that amplifiers are amplifying the sound of music and the sound is going through the iem's some some iems might be bright already and a amplifier that is slightly bring might come across as even brighter. also a more warmer iem might sound more neutral in sound if the iem is warmer and the amp slightly brightens the sound giving the sound more of a balanced sound.  so headphones or iems need to be taken into consideration as to how the amplifier is going to sound,

#2 source- if you are using a ipod or cellphone and then using the headphone jack out to the amplifier. you are just amplifying the stock ipod or phone amplifier. listening to the amplifier C5 this way is not giving the real sound of the C5. you are getting a mix between the source internal amplifier and the C5 amplifier.

#3 Lod/Mini to mini- now if you are using a source and your using a line out dock straight to the C5 amplifier this is going to give you a better idea of how this amplifier actually sounds. the sound signature of the amplifier itsself. HOWEVER a LOD or mini to mini can also alter the sound. how? well that depends on the type of wire used. are you using occ copper wire? occ silver wire? solid silver wire? copper has more of a dynamic sound. silver has more of a brighter sound........so taking this into consideration a silver or copper lod could add more of a dynamic or brighter sound to the Amplifier. getting more into it, connectors can also slightly effect the sound......LOD give you the best signal out from your source to the amplifier.

#4 Headphone Cable/Cable Upgrade- JUST like the LOD or mini to mini Cable upgrades will also effect the sound of the headphones and amplifier. depending on the wire such as silver or copper. can give your headphones or iems more of a dynamic or brighter sound......cables can also effect the sound such as soundstage,highs,mids,lows,clarity,transparency,ect,ect,ect

i think all of the above should be taken into consideration before coming to a conclusion as to what the amp sounds like.....as everyone doesnt have the exactly same setup, thus giving the amplifier different sounds......i just dont think ppl take other aspects of their equipment into consideration that are effecting the sound of the Amplifier......

May 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #930 of 3,417
Quote:
Code:
Code:

I agree.  Not bright at all with my ATH-M50 phones and they're 32 ohm.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back