JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #272 of 3,417
That's about 6 days ahead of schedule. Good! :beyersmile:

According to JDS Labs' blog:

Barring unforeseen catastrophic failures, C5 preorders will ship no later than February 28. Review samples and distributor orders will ship on February 22.

miceblue either has insider information or he misinterpreted review samples as preorders.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #273 of 3,417
Please ignore previous post. miceblue is correct. Quote from JDS Labs' blog:

February 22, 2013 at 12:07 am
We shipped 11% of preorders by 7PM this evening, and expect to fill all preorders by February 28th as promised.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #274 of 3,417
Quote:

That's about 6 days ahead of schedule. Good!
beyersmile.png

Just a few C5's will ship today, besides shipments to distributors. We're right on schedule. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #277 of 3,417
Hopefully John or someone from JDS Labs can answer this:

I looked through the source code of the firmware (version 1.04 or 104 as of this post), and I could not find anything regarding bass boost control, either volume or frequency or otherwise. But I know there is a bass boost switch in front of the amp.

So is it possible to control what the switch does from the firmware? Or is it mostly hardware-driven?

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #279 of 3,417
Quote:
Hopefully John or someone from JDS Labs can answer this:

I looked through the source code of the firmware (version 1.04 or 104 as of this post), and I could not find anything regarding bass boost control, either volume or frequency or otherwise. But I know there is a bass boost switch in front of the amp.

So is it possible to control what the switch does from the firmware? Or is it mostly hardware-driven?

The bass boost toggle is all analog control. Flip the switch down and you get the +6.5 dB bass boost at 80 Hz, flip the switch up and you get no bass boost.
The digital potentiometer is controlled with the code since it's digital. That's why the code has volume and gain control options, as well as opening possible button configurations for different settings.

Quote:
Please ignore previous post. miceblue is correct. Quote from JDS Labs' blog:

February 22, 2013 at 12:07 am
We shipped 11% of preorders by 7PM this evening, and expect to fill all preorders by February 28th as promised.

Yup, I received the shipment notification via e-mail yesterday. :)

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #280 of 3,417
Okay, thanks for the explanation.

However, I didn't see more settings within the firmware, either. It's mostly just gain control, and volume control, plus some battery configuration (how often to scan for low battery, and how "low" is really "low", and what to do when low on battery).

The way I'm seeing it, the firmware is mostly there so people can fine-tune how they want the digital volume pot to behave, and how the amp behaves (volume, gain) at certain battery levels, or when it's turned on/off.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #282 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Flip the switch down and you get the +6.5 dB bass boost at 80 Hz, flip the switch up and you get no bass boost.

Are you sure? Looking at the pictogram, the opposite would make more sense (up = more, down = none).

It is strange, but from JDS Lab's C5 blog post:
Quote:
Bass Boost Toggle up for normal audio, toggle down for bass boost

Looking more closely at the press release photos, all of the C5's have the switch in the up position.

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the explanation.

However, I didn't see more settings within the firmware, either. It's mostly just gain control, and volume control, plus some battery configuration (how often to scan for low battery, and how "low" is really "low", and what to do when low on battery).

The way I'm seeing it, the firmware is mostly there so people can fine-tune how they want the digital volume pot to behave, and how the amp behaves (volume, gain) at certain battery levels, or when it's turned on/off.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Yeah all of the current settings are for gain, volume control, LED/battery regulation, but you can add code to change the way the digital potentiometer acts (e.g. pressing the gain switch twice to go into insensitive headphone mode where the volume might go up/down faster than normal), or how the LED operate (e.g. during low-battery maybe have the LED flash instead of stay on).

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #283 of 3,417
So it's mostly just usability tweaks. I was somehow under the impression that the firmware was for somehow being able to tune the SQ of the amp.

Ah well, I'll see how C5 fairs against C421 before I place an order then. I'm liking C421, but there are areas where I think C421 can be improved upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back