JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Apr 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,376 of 3,417
Are you referring to the USB Cable? I purchased an inexpensive short cable about 4inches I use with my laptop/phone and have not had any issues. I find the cable it came with to be a little cumbersome for my use.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #3,377 of 3,417
Yes, USB cable.. Once mine was broken I bought a cheap one from ebay which was of 1.8m long, and since I was busy I didnt listen to it much after that. Recently I took my c5d again and felt the sound to be a little muddy. Background sounds clean, I dont know exactly how to say it, but overall sound seems to be a little not what I liked in the beginning. I can only see the length of the cable as a problem(I made it up! There is no reference for that anywhere!) Anyway, I ordered a 50cm one from Deleycon, which must be slightly better than the cheapest. Let me see if again Placebo makes me post here again, or I really hear a difference!

May 26, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,380 of 3,417
Same here. I'd invested a few hundreds on cables and iFi purifiers only to sell them at a cost later. Had to debate with myself if there were any differences. That said, most of the time I only have AACs to enjoy, so it could be my files.

May 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #3,381 of 3,417
Same here. I'd invested a few hundreds on cables and iFi purifiers only to sell them at a cost later. Had to debate with myself if there were any differences. That said, most of the time I only have AACs to enjoy, so it could be my files.
Probably not. I have had similar experiences. I have lots of "hires" files 192/24 DXD and DSD) to test with.

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,385 of 3,417
At risk of getting too off topic, I am wondering if there is any suggestion about replacing/upgrading my C5D. Here's why:

I have C5D and am very happy with it. I use it with an old iPod Touch using 30-pin LOD and drive Etymotic ER4 (I have both SR and XR models) eabuds.

My iPod touch is getting long in the tooth though and the battery life is getting to be pretty poor (my iPod is... 8 or so years old now?). If I upgrade, it would likely be to a newer iPod touch or maybe an iPhone. However it seems that the C5D is not compatible with iDevices that have lightning connector? Is there a workaround for this (ideally that does not involve huge dongles and lots of spare cable)? I am fine with analog amplification only (do not need to use C5D's built in DAC), but really only if I can get line-level out to feed the amp. Is there any recommendation for something similar to C5D but is more compatible with newer generation iDevices? If I'm already wishing for rainbows and unicorns, I may as well add in that I would like to have some better battery life out of any such replacement amp.

Thanks
Ruahrc

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,386 of 3,417
There is a way to get around the Lightning connector. You only need the Apple CCK and the normal usb cable. It's more inconvenient than what you're having right now.

As for cost effectiveness and the same musical, warmish sound I don't think any expensive DAC/amp can replace the C5D. I like my Mojo, iDsd etc but they come with totally different sound sig IMO

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,387 of 3,417
At risk of getting too off topic, I am wondering if there is any suggestion about replacing/upgrading my C5D. Here's why:

I have C5D and am very happy with it. I use it with an old iPod Touch using 30-pin LOD and drive Etymotic ER4 (I have both SR and XR models) eabuds.

My iPod touch is getting long in the tooth though and the battery life is getting to be pretty poor (my iPod is... 8 or so years old now?). If I upgrade, it would likely be to a newer iPod touch or maybe an iPhone. However it seems that the C5D is not compatible with iDevices that have lightning connector? Is there a workaround for this (ideally that does not involve huge dongles and lots of spare cable)? I am fine with analog amplification only (do not need to use C5D's built in DAC), but really only if I can get line-level out to feed the amp. Is there any recommendation for something similar to C5D but is more compatible with newer generation iDevices? If I'm already wishing for rainbows and unicorns, I may as well add in that I would like to have some better battery life out of any such replacement amp.

Thanks
Ruahrc

Unless you go for an iPhone for the phone merged with music player, I'll go for a dedicated DAP similair than an iPod. Fiio?

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,389 of 3,417
HEy guys, been a long time since I posted in this thread. Anyone here with the c5d and an iOS 11 iphone (or ipad)? Is there any connecting problem? My old Chord Mojo cannot connect after this iOS update so I’m afraid the C5d would have the same problem.

Thank you all.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #3,390 of 3,417
HEy guys, been a long time since I posted in this thread. Anyone here with the c5d and an iOS 11 iphone (or ipad)? Is there any connecting problem? My old Chord Mojo cannot connect after this iOS update so I’m afraid the C5d would have the same problem.

Thank you all.
it wont connect. iOS has killed the functionality of using a DAC which isn't officially MFI certified. I have the c5d. it used to work, but now not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back