JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 21, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #3,361 of 3,417
If it helps at all, JDS labs also makes the C5D (what I've got) and it has both a dac and the C5 amp in the same form factor as the C5.  I don't have too many dacs to compare it to, but especially with my sensitive IEMs, it sounds really good and has a super low noise floor.  I even plug it into my cd player to get rid of its noise when I use those headphones.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,366 of 3,417
I can not decide between a used chord mojo or a brand new c5d. Unfortunately, there is no attempt to buy it in my country. Which would be a good shopping for you? Thanks
If i had a chance to get a used mojo for the price of a c5d i would have gone for it, only from the things i heard about it on headfi:) jds is good with customer sevice, but unless you are in US, its hardly of any use, as you have yo ship them to US.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,367 of 3,417
If i had a chance to get a used mojo for the price of a c5d i would have gone for it, only from the things i heard about it on headfi:) jds is good with customer sevice, but unless you are in US, its hardly of any use, as you have yo ship them to US.

JDS labs products are very popular in my country. I like to listen to classical music and instrumental music (piano violin cello). My head is beyerdynamic dt 660 32 ohm. I suggested here the jds labs c5d instead of chord mojo. I have to be sure before I buy. Please help me

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #3,368 of 3,417
JDS labs products are very popular in my country. I like to listen to classical music and instrumental music (piano violin cello). My head is beyerdynamic dt 660 32 ohm. I suggested here the jds labs c5d instead of chord mojo. I have to be sure before I buy. Please help me
The Mojo is technically better, but marginallly. If you want a DAC and AMP with bass boost then go for the C5D. If you do not like to boost the bass or EQ at all (i.e. Change the lower end) then the Mojo is the choise as there are no EQ or boost options at all.
It's the only reason the Mojo is not in my collection.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,369 of 3,417
I have certainly enjoyed my C5. Not having any IEMs, it has driven my HD25 Aluminum and HD 600s with ease. Lost my mind this week and ordered Campfire Vegas and RSA Shadow to begin my transition to a DAP at some point.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,370 of 3,417
I've got a C5D that I've been using with Shure IEM's. I'm deciding to go back to full size headphones. Will this amp still have enough juice to power something like a Shure 1540?

Also, is there a way to calculate this amps power output? It's given in Vrms, rather than Watts like other brands.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #3,372 of 3,417
The Mojo is technically better, but marginallly. If you want a DAC and AMP with bass boost then go for the C5D. If you do not like to boost the bass or EQ at all (i.e. Change the lower end) then the Mojo is the choise as there are no EQ or boost options at all.
It's the only reason the Mojo is not in my collection.
MY only reason not to get the mojo is affordability:wink: I felt on certain aspects my xduoo x10 directly sounds better on my beoplay h6 than with c5d from the laptop /tab/ phone. Also on amp mode with xduoo, xduoo's stock amp has nicer midrange, and midbass, though not as clean, and tight as the c5d. But, with that player, c5d (amp mode) changes the signature to have cleaner background (i can then listen at lower volumes) but bass becomes lean, and vocals loses body. Soundstage is a little wider on the xduoo's stock amp. I think now if I really need an amp, it should be something better than the c5d, but everything greater seems to be much more expensive. But, using the headphone out as a double amp to my home system it sounds really great, much better than other cheaper dacs / decent cd players I used!

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #3,375 of 3,417
Did anyone notice a sounddifference with cheap (normal ones u get from ebay 1.8m long ) and a gold plated audiophile matketed one?the one came with it wad broken and i replaced it with a cheap one. Now, its placebo or not, i feel the sound slightly grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back