hi
please remember my english is not good
my setup now fiio x5+O2 diy+jds c5d+aless ms2i

I have compared the two (o2 diy and jds c5d) and here is the result:
- mid c5d more forward than the o2
- bass punch more pronounced in c5d
- jds c5d speed is slower than o2 for metal music that require double pedal
are you feel the same?

after reading this thread, some people dont like pairing c5d with grado, why? 

thanks for reading and sorry for my bad english XD

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,182 of 3,417
  I have the C5D now for quite a while, and i am still very happy with it. Today i discovered the "ultimate combination" - The C5D in combination with the HD600 and the BassBoost in the "Low"-Position. That's a match - made in heaven. 
smily_headphones1.gif

This gives the cold neutrality of the HD600s some warmth and yeah - i was just smiling. Having the HD600 now for over a month, but i did not tried it out with the C5D yet...

Battery run-time is still a little bit disappointing, but i use it only on the notebook, and so i can charge it anyway always...
Thanks for such a good product John! And although my "start" with the C5D was a little bit difficult (3 erased C5D memory due to a bug/glitch while using it with the CCK on the iPhone/iPad), i am now fully satisfied overall. 
happy_face1.gif

kind regards
Fabian

Now that looks familiar! I just got a C5 about a 1-1/2 weeks ago to go with my HD600's. I really love it. I have been using a FiiO E12 v1 (the subtle sub-bass boost version) for about 6 months and only recently learned of the C5. So I decided to give it a try and see if might beat out the E12 for me. It did, and now the E12 is in the classifieds. The C5 is just kinda overall better to my ear: cleaner, better low end, more natural highs and about the same mids. Though contrary to what everyone says, I hear more space with the E12, which might be because the highs are a bit more prominent. But they are also more harsh and fatiguing so I am accepting that trade-off. (i wrote a brief comparison review in another thread in case anyone is interested)

Unlike you though, I mostly find the C5's low bass boost too much with the HD600's. It just makes things a bit too fat for me, especially vocals. Unboosted mode is nice & flat and for most recordings has plenty of low end punch in a quiet listening environment. I'd say it has about the same low end impact unboosted as the E12 v1 does with the bass boost on (which I always kept on) -- close enough for me at least. Some recordings do still need the boost though, and for those my E12's boost simply wasn't enough, which is partly why I decided to give the C5 a try. so glad I did.

Anyway it's a great sounding amp, and looks really slick too! And no complaints here about the battery life, but I haven't really pushed that yet as I am pretty quick to top off the charge once I suspect it gets down to about 50% or so.

My source is the FiiO X3 line out with lossless files, btw.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #3,183 of 3,417
Does anyone know what DAC is being used in this product? I've tried searching but to no avail... Thanks in advance.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #3,185 of 3,417
Many thanks! Doubting between this one and Geek Out V2.

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3,187 of 3,417
recent noteworthy discovery: the frequency balance and bass boost is affected by the gain setting (actually i read about it somewhere here i think).

this may be obvious to most, but it wasn't to me. i use HD600's and just assumed i needed the high gain mode, so i never gave low gain mode a critical listen. but trying it now i'm hearing a rather noticeably more subtle bass boost (with no mid intrusion) and i also think i'm perceiving a hair more sparkle on top, both of which are improvements imo. and the unboosted low end does not seem to be any different (also good). with my HD600's i only need about 30 volume steps in low gain mode and about 21 steps in high gain mode, so i think i have some good headroom left. makes me wonder whether super sensitive iem users have any problems.

anyway, i loved this amp before, but now i'm thrilled!

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #3,188 of 3,417
Can someone please let me know if this will work w/ the iphone 6 + C5D?

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Micro-Lightning-Adapter-Certified/dp/B00M4QANB4/ref=pd_sim_422_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WBWSN7P1MM2CSMX6K8Q

Or this??
Lightning male to micro USB male
http://usbfever.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2360

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,189 of 3,417
  Can someone please let me know if this will work w/ the iphone 6 + C5D?

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Micro-Lightning-Adapter-Certified/dp/B00M4QANB4/ref=pd_sim_422_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WBWSN7P1MM2CSMX6K8Q

Or this??
Lightning male to micro USB male
http://usbfever.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2360

None of those will work w/ the C5D...they will work with an amp like the HA-2, but not the C5D as it isn't apple certified.  This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Camera-Adapter-MD821ZM/dp/B009WHV3XA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439521985&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit

Camera connection kit, and then you use the usb cable that came with the C5D to connect.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #3,190 of 3,417

None of those will work w/ the C5D...they will work with an amp like the HA-2, but not the C5D as it isn't apple certified.  This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Camera-Adapter-MD821ZM/dp/B009WHV3XA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439521985&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit

Camera connection kit, and then you use the usb cable that came with the C5D to connect.

Even if that AmazonBasic adapter is Apple Certified?

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,193 of 3,417
  Interesting. So why would the Apple Lightning Camera Adapter work if the C5D isn't certified?

Because all that does is make the lightning adapter into a regular USB out, which the C5D works fine with.  Most amps work with the Camera Connection Kit (things like the Fiio e17, etc.)...the special ones work with the lightning cables.  Oppo HA-2, V-MODA Vamp Verza and a couple more I haven't used before.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3,194 of 3,417
Having been a fairly big fan of fiio's budget e17 I was very sceptical of switching over to JDS Labs' C5D (roughly $150 more than the e17), but after roughly one month of using the product with my hifiman he-400s and mr. speaker's mad dog I can't express how great this product is! Although the e17 is still a great amp/dac,I find that the "bass and mid" performance as well as the sheer driving power of the c5d far exceeds that of the e17. If you are a bass head like me, and still on a moderate budget, I can almost assure you that you will fall in love with this amp/dac!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back