JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 1, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #3,136 of 3,417
Some headphones react to that with bass boost or equalization - won't happen with all headphones....

But are you sure you are at safe listening levels? That sounds way too high to me....don't ruin your hearing, be careful. :wink:

Cheers,
K

The headphone I'm using is high impedance and require more voltage plus the line-out output from my dap is quite low, probably below 2v. 
I believe it's more to do with the c5 not handling the bass boost well than my t1's distorting at medium volumes. 

May 1, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #3,137 of 3,417
The headphone I'm using is high impedance and require more voltage plus the line-out output from my dap is quite low, probably below 2v. 
I believe it's more to do with the c5 not handling the bass boost well than my t1's distorting at medium volumes. 

Could be as well. You could try equalizing the bass with your source and amount with a different amp to see how the headphones react. It can of course just be the combination C5 and T1... I don't have the T1 so can't check but will try next week Ina meet with one...

Cheers,
K

May 1, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #3,138 of 3,417

my T1 does not distort at medium volumes. I'm not sure if my AD8620 opamp changes anything though.

May 1, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3,140 of 3,417
  Are you listening to a bassy track with the volume turned to max or near with the bass boast switched to the middle position? 
I know for sure it's not my t1's fault. 

O well in that case yes, I thought you meant at medium volume. Even my Alpha Dog distort, which I thought it just mean its out of juice to power the Headphone.

May 1, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #3,141 of 3,417
  O well in that case yes, I thought you meant at medium volume. Even my Alpha Dog distort, which I thought it just mean its out of juice to power the Headphone.

That what I've been trying to prove when I found out about this with my hd25-13 but everyone just said it nooow, it can't be possible.

May 1, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #3,143 of 3,417

do you honestly crank it up that high when listening? Jesus.....thats like deafening

With my t1's when I listening to quiet recordings, I sometimes turn it up to 90% when driving with the windows down.
With the hd25-13s, never but it's possible without bleeding my ears if I'm outdoors in an noisy environment.  

May 1, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,144 of 3,417
With my t1's when I listening to quiet recordings, I sometimes turn it up to 90% when driving with the windows down.
With the hd25-13s, never but it's possible without bleeding my ears if I'm outdoors in an noisy environment.  

Driving with headphones? Señor Fungus....tsktsktsk

That what I've been trying to prove when I found out about this with my hd25-13 but everyone just said it nooow, it can't be possible.

Who said that? You said the C5 wouldn't handle the bass boost well or that your C5 was broken - we tried to find out what was wrong, that's all. Turns out nothing is wrong with the T1 and nothing is wrong with the C5 it's just that the T1 requires more juice than the C5 can provide:) for that scenario. So we all learned something from it, I think that's great.

Cheers,
K

May 1, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,145 of 3,417
Driving with headphones? Señor Fungus....tsktsktsk
Who said that? You said the C5 wouldn't handle the bass boost well or that your C5 was broken - we tried to find out what was wrong, that's all. Turns out nothing is wrong with the T1 and nothing is wrong with the C5 it's just that the T1 requires more juice than the C5 can provide:) for that scenario. So we all learned something from it, I think that's great.

Cheers,
K

oh I was referring to the older posts. 

May 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #3,146 of 3,417
oh I was referring to the older posts. 

Ah, ok. Sorry. Glad we found the reason for this. I will try the C5 with a few high impedance headphones soon, based on what I learned from this I think it's good to be able to identify the distortion from lack of power.

Thanks,
K

May 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,147 of 3,417
anyone try the C5D with the Etymotic ER 4s?  Thinking about giving this one a try, it has a bass boost which my be helpful for the Ety's.  Any harshness with this amp?  I also have the Shure 846  and the Westone W60s.  

May 1, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,148 of 3,417
anyone try the C5D with the Etymotic ER 4s?  Thinking about giving this one a try, it has a bass boost which my be helpful for the Ety's.  Any harshness with this amp?  I also have the Shure 846  and the Westone W60s.  

Possibly my favorite headphone listening experiences thus far have been with the C5 and er4s. Amazing. Great synergy!

May 2, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3,149 of 3,417

to me with the original opamp2227 I feel everything a little bit compressed,  the AD8620 opamp really open it up, but the background isnt as "black" if that make sense. no EMI no hiss, it does extremely well with the Westone W60, no bass boost is needed but if you are a bass head, then u could never have enough. :D

May 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #3,150 of 3,417
Hi folks

I have a chance to pick up a second hand C5 for $80 CDN off of craigslist. I currently have a Fiio E17 and SMSL M2, would the C5 be an upgrade for me? This would be my first foray into a half decent amp so any guidance would be appreciated! 

Thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back