JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Oct 21, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,808 of 3,417
Could use some opinions:

Looking for a new dac/amp, and the C5D seems to look pretty good. I'm planning on using it for Android which I know can have pretty hit or miss usage via OTG. Just wanted to ask what the opinions of the C5D are, because this would most likely be the unit I'll be using for a good while, and I'm debating between staying in budget or going over budget just a bit to get the C5D.

Current source is a Moto X 2013, potentially buying something new soon though (Moto X 2014, Xperia Z3v, Nexus 6). 

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #2,809 of 3,417
Quote:
  Could use some opinions:

Looking for a new dac/amp, and the C5D seems to look pretty good. I'm planning on using it for Android which I know can have pretty hit or miss usage via OTG. Just wanted to ask what the opinions of the C5D are, because this would most likely be the unit I'll be using for a good while, and I'm debating between staying in budget or going over budget just a bit to get the C5D.

Current source is a Moto X 2013, potentially buying something new soon though (Moto X 2014, Xperia Z3v, Nexus 6). 

All I can say is that there are two types of people who would use an OTG usb portable dac/amp with an android phone.

People who know their version can support usb output or people who are willing to flash custom roms on their phones.

I ended up being the latter. I know that android L is going to support usb output and since you're thinking of getting a new phone soon it really shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, it's pretty tough to actually hear a difference between amps. All I can say is that if it works and it sounds good, then you can really go as cheap as you want. You're only going to be bringing one with you anyways. All in all, for solid state devices, a dac is meant to decode and output a clean analog signal while an amp merely provides enough power to drive the drivers.

The C5D is pretty reliable and the interface is pretty simple to use. All the controls for playback are located on one side and it's quite easy to change gain and adjust the bass booster. I've never had an issue with rubbing the volume gain against anything before so that's also a plus. I find that when I have an amp with me, I never have to take out my phone to change volume or tracks because it's all physically there on the amp and I can change tracks by holding vol+ or vol-. Makes it a bit safer since you don't present your devices as often to potential thieves.

People have said that the Fiio amps make the sound a little warmer compared to the C5D which is considered neutral (or transparent as they all love to call it) but I personally don't notice a difference.

One thing I have noticed with the C5D has to do with the bass booster though. If you simply use the line in and then flick the bass booster. It seems to boost mid bass more instead which can make your music sound muddier. If you use the usb input and then flick the bass booster, the bass boost is noticeably better. The low bass boost provides a nice boost to sub bass while the high bass boost adds more sub bass and some mid bass as well but not so much as to add mud to your bass.

Also what headphones are you using? If you use a portable headphone, chances are they can be driven by your phone. The only reason you'd want a dac amp is if you notice noise in the background which is very apparent in highly sensitive headphones and a large majority of earphones.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,810 of 3,417
Quote:

All I can say is that there are two types of people who would use an OTG usb portable dac/amp with an android phone.

People who know their version can support usb output or people who are willing to flash custom roms on their phones.

I ended up being the latter. I know that android L is going to support usb output and since you're thinking of getting a new phone soon it really shouldn't be a problem.

Honestly, it's pretty tough to actually hear a difference between amps. All I can say is that if it works and it sounds good, then you can really go as cheap as you want. You're only going to be bringing one with you anyways. All in all, for solid state devices, a dac is meant to decode and output a clean analog signal while an amp merely provides enough power to drive the drivers.

The C5D is pretty reliable and the interface is pretty simple to use. All the controls for playback are located on one side and it's quite easy to change gain and adjust the bass booster. I've never had an issue with rubbing the volume gain against anything before so that's also a plus. I find that when I have an amp with me, I never have to take out my phone to change volume or tracks because it's all physically there on the amp and I can change tracks by holding vol+ or vol-. Makes it a bit safer since you don't present your devices as often to potential thieves.

People have said that the Fiio amps make the sound a little warmer compared to the C5D which is considered neutral (or transparent as they all love to call it) but I personally don't notice a difference.

One thing I have noticed with the C5D has to do with the bass booster though. If you simply use the line in and then flick the bass booster. It seems to boost mid bass more instead which can make your music sound muddier. If you use the usb input and then flick the bass booster, the bass boost is noticeably better. The low bass boost provides a nice boost to sub bass while the high bass boost adds more sub bass and some mid bass as well but not so much as to add mud to your bass.

Also what headphones are you using? If you use a portable headphone, chances are they can be driven by your phone. The only reason you'd want a dac amp is if you notice noise in the background which is very apparent in highly sensitive headphones and a large majority of earphones.

I am currently using DT 1350s from Beyerdynamic and will have 1964ears V6 stage ciems.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2,811 of 3,417
I am currently using DT 1350s from Beyerdynamic and will have 1964ears V6 stage ciems.

It'll work.

While the C5D won't do too much for your Beyers, phone output is generally noisy for IEMs so it WILL cut down a lot of background noise. If you have a local shop that sells the C5D, I'd recommend giving it a try and especially other portable amps as well. Ask to use an OTG cable with your phone and slip it in your pocket to get a feel of how it operates.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #2,812 of 3,417

It'll work.

While the C5D won't do too much for your Beyers, phone output is generally noisy for IEMs so it WILL cut down a lot of background noise. If you have a local shop that sells the C5D, I'd recommend giving it a try and especially other portable amps as well. Ask to use an OTG cable with your phone and slip it in your pocket to get a feel of how it operates.

I'll have to look around. I'm in So Cal, so I'm bound to be able to find at least one place. I know every person is different, but would you say a 250 dollar investment in the C5D is worth it if it's mostly for the V6 Stage?

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2,813 of 3,417
  I'll have to look around. I'm in So Cal, so I'm bound to be able to find at least one place. I know every person is different, but would you say a 250 dollar investment in the C5D is worth it if it's mostly for the V6 Stage?

I don't think you'd notice a difference in terms of amping. A Fiio E18 could probably do the job just as well. If you have the chance to try out both, try and see how much noise either of them produce.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,814 of 3,417

I don't think you'd notice a difference in terms of amping. A Fiio E18 could probably do the job just as well. If you have the chance to try out both, try and see how much noise either of them produce.

I'm actually finding it quite hard to find a place in LA that might still have stuff to demo. Oh well, guess I'll just have to make the decision 

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2,815 of 3,417
  I'm actually finding it quite hard to find a place in LA that might still have stuff to demo. Oh well, guess I'll just have to make the decision 

Buy both from online retailer and return the one you don't want?

If you're only powering those two portables, you might want to check specs and go with the with lower power output.

Gain is a lot easier to adjust that way.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,816 of 3,417
Do anyone use the Shure SE215 with the JDS Labs C5? If so could I have your input on them? I have the Audio Technicas ATH-IM50 and I'm not happy with them so I'm looking at other IEM and the SE215 are first up on my list.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,817 of 3,417
On low gain, they cut down a lot noise interference. It's quite a noticeable difference even when I'm in a noisy environment like a bus.

Other than that, they sound pretty much the same. Don't let that fool you though; being able to finely adjust your gain is a massive benefit where as the volume control on phones have rather large gaps it's hard to find a volume that is comfortable for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back