JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 13, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2,506 of 3,417
Any suggestions on a good carry case or pouch? Best I could find so far is a hard carry case for a WD My Passport external hard drive (http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hard-Carrying-Passport-Essential/dp/B003LSTD38/ref=pd_cp_e_0) but it's still bigger than I would like.  Pouch or sleeve would also be acceptable.

Thanks!

May 13, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #2,507 of 3,417

So to be clear, it works with the usb cable only to the mac mini and no failures?

Yes, it failed only once out of 30 times for some reason. But this may be the fault of the audio player. The player did not recognize the C5D that one time. Sometimes I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in. I turned the unit off and on. It still worked.

Bob

May 13, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #2,508 of 3,417
What you also should check is if your problem applies to all the ports of the hub. A lot of hubs have a poor port layout based on chips that are wired in series. Debian based deveices often have problems with these as well, some of the ports would work some won't. I can imagine that a simmilar issue could happen with ios products. Another question would be at which battery switch position are you trying to use it? Although you are using a (powered) hub the two deveices are still not galvanically separated on the usb power poles.

May 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,509 of 3,417
I have stopped using the hub. It just complicated the setup adding one more variable to the picture. As to why this works with the Mac mini but not an iDevice, perhaps the driver on the Mac mini is more robust.

May 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,510 of 3,417
John and I have agreed on a plan. He will send my out a unit that is using adaptive mode instead of asynchronous mode USB transfers. This is his idea. It also will be a new unit, so this should eliminate one of the last major variables in the picture. This part appeals to me.

John sure does back his products, where there is no arguing or pleading or dozens of e-mails later with no results...what a positive experience for me. This is why I purchased both the O2/ODAC and the C5D from his company.

May 15, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #2,512 of 3,417
The Koss Porta Pro bag works pretty well.

Quote:
  Any suggestions on a good carry case or pouch? Best I could find so far is a hard carry case for a WD My Passport external hard drive (http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hard-Carrying-Passport-Essential/dp/B003LSTD38/ref=pd_cp_e_0) but it's still bigger than I would like.  Pouch or sleeve would also be acceptable.

Thanks!

May 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,514 of 3,417
Here is an update. It is not the C5D. I was flummoxed, particularly since John set it up in an adaptive USB transfer mode. So I thought "out of the box" and saw both USB cables that I tested with were of the same type, with the cylindrical object on one end. So I purchased another cheap USB cable. This did not work with the iPhone. So I thought I might as well try the iPad with the Lightening connector. Guess what? It worked. I have been testing it trying to see if it will stop working. It seems to be working fine right now. So far it has worked a couple dozen times in a row with me trying to get it not to work.

I then connected the original cable that I was trying to use and it continued to work. I do not understand this. I suspect that something may have been wrong with the interface circuitry with the Lightening socket on the iPad. Perhaps the new cable allowed the circuitry to initialize and operate correctly. I do not know. This does not make much sense to me. This has rarely happened to me. But then there is the iPhone that did not work either. I am going to work on this aspect of my problems. But first the iPod Touch.

The "Outer Limits". Spooky. LOL

May 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,515 of 3,417
Here is an update. It is not the C5D. I was flummoxed, particularly since John set it up in an adaptive USB transfer mode. So I thought "out of the box" and saw both USB cables that I tested with were of the same type, with the cylindrical object on one end. So I purchased another cheap USB cable. This did not work with the iPhone. So I thought I might as well try the iPad with the Lightening connector. Guess what? It worked. I have been testing it trying to see if it will stop working. It seems to be working fine right now. So far it has worked a couple dozen times in a row with me trying to get it not to work.

I then connected the original cable that I was trying to use and it continued to work. I do not understand this. I suspect that something may have been wrong with the interface circuitry with the Lightening socket on the iPad. Perhaps the new cable allowed the circuitry to initialize and operate correctly. I do not know. This does not make much sense to me. This has rarely happened to me. But then there is the iPhone that did not work either. I am going to work on this aspect of my problems. But first the iPod Touch.

The "Outer Limits". Spooky. LOL

There is usually a simple cause, but sometimes it gets overlooked...

Btw, those round things on your cables are ferrite cores or beads. They're used to filter out unwanted noise/interference.

May 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,516 of 3,417

Btw, those round things on your cables are ferrite cores or beads. They're used to filter out unwanted noise/interference.

Yes, a simple cause, but not so easy to narrow down in this case.

May 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,517 of 3,417

Yes, a simple cause, but not so easy to narrow down in this case.

Indeed. Does the audio play through your iPad itself even when the c5d is connected to it?

May 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,518 of 3,417
Indeed. Does the audio play through your iPad itself even when the c5d is connected to it?

Yes, it did up until this point in time. The same with the iPhone still even with the new cable. That is why I am perplexed. The iPad now has been working for two days without a problem. Since I do not know specifically what has caused this problem, other then something to do with the cable and/or the lLightening socket on the iPad, I am still concerned that the problem may happen again. John told me to take my time checking this out.

Welcome to the Twighlight Zone. LOL

May 17, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,519 of 3,417

Yes, it did up until this point in time. The same with the iPhone still even with the new cable. That is why I am perplexed. The iPad now has been working for two days without a problem. Since I do not know specifically what has caused this problem, other then something to do with the cable and/or the lLightening socket on the iPad, I am still concerned that the problem may happen again. John told me to take my time checking this out.

Welcome to the Twighlight Zone. LOL

If i understand correctly, that rules out the c5d as the issue. If you're hearing audio from the iDevices while the c5d is connacted, that means the iDevice hasn't detected anything to switch the output to the cck.

Per john, the c5d simply accepts incoming data if i'm not mistaken. Therefore, if i understand properly, the ipad would never know that the c5d specifically is connected. Rather, it probably detects the cck. This would indicate a problem with the cck or ipad. As your iphone does the same thing, tgat makes me suspect the cck, even if you've tried more than one. Maybe the connections aren't firm enough? Are you ccks apple brand? Do they feel tight? Are they the version with the cable attached or just the small adapter?

May 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #2,520 of 3,417
If i understand correctly, that rules out the c5d as the issue. If you're hearing audio from the iDevices while the c5d is connacted, that means the iDevice hasn't detected anything to switch the output to the cck.

Per john, the c5d simply accepts incoming data if i'm not mistaken. Therefore, if i understand properly, the ipad would never know that the c5d specifically is connected. Rather, it probably detects the cck. This would indicate a problem with the cck or ipad. As your iphone does the same thing, tgat makes me suspect the cck, even if you've tried more than one. Maybe the connections aren't firm enough? Are you ccks apple brand? Do they feel tight? Are they the version with the cable attached or just the small adapter?

I tried every combination, hooking up and unhooking different cables and CCKs, and going between the iPad, the iPhone, and the Mac mini. Only with the second C5D could I eliminate the possibility of the original C5D.  

Having both CCKs not working? They are both Apple CCKs in Apple boxes. That would be extraordinary, but possible. But then only when I used a third new cable did the iPad start working, with the same CCK. Now the original USB cable, still with same the CCK, is now working. Apparently this was the defining moment of the problem.

At this point, I do think it is connection related. How intermittent it has been would point that direction. I do not know if it is actually the CCKs. But still that would be the only reasonable explanation.  I have received a new CCK for the iPad in the mail today thinking that this may help.  

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back