JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,981 of 3,417
  Is there anyone that is using his C5D with an iPhone 5 ios 7 and lightning connector?? How does it work?

Yes, I was thrilled at how easy it is. Just connect the Apple Lightning Camera Connection Kit to the USB cable with the amp and IT JUST WORKS! I just wish there was a shorter solution. I'm thinking about splicing the Mini-B connector to the CCK.

Quote:
I believe that the iphone volume should be lways ful in order to get full bits (dynamic range)

Control the volume via the amp only!

I guess I should wait for John to respond, but I think this is just half right. Control the volume from the amp, but set the iPhone volume to just below than 100%. John said, "For digital volume, about 98-99% is ideal. Avoid using 100% to prevent overfill errors."

Not only do I really appreciate the C5D, but John is very responsive, giving me extra confidence in my purchases from JDS Labs.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,982 of 3,417

I guess I should wait for John to respond, but I think this is just half right. Control the volume from the amp, but set the iPhone volume to just below than 100%. John said, "For digital volume, about 98-99% is ideal. Avoid using 100% to prevent overfill errors."

Not only do I really appreciate the C5D, but John is very responsive, giving me extra confidence in my purchases from JDS Labs.

yes right. well 95% is pretty good. I use my DX50 to 250 from 255

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,983 of 3,417
  I just wish there was a shorter solution. I'm thinking about splicing the Mini-B connector to the CCK.

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/230998130944?var=530161989734&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

i'll be using this as soon as it gets delivered :)

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,985 of 3,417

Is there anyone that is using his C5D with an iPhone 5 ios 7 and lightning connector?? How does it work?

iphone --> apple lightning camera connection kit --> usb to mini usb adapter --> c5d --> headphones

I'm just making a guess here, but is it possible the usb adapter is causing an issue and it isn't detecting the c5d?  Can you try a different cable just to test?  Stop all audio, plug in the cable, turn the c5d off and on again, try playing audio again...

Yes.  Perfectly.  Plug it in and you get audio.  Use the iphone volume control or the c5d volume control.  No problems at all.  Just plug the C5D in when no audio is playing to be sure there are no glitches...

I believe that the iphone volume should be lways ful in order to get full bits (dynamic range)

Control the volume via the amp only!

I thought that too, but I had a chat with JDS about that and with most DACs they recommended using a little less than full, roughly -1db on the iPhone/iPod.  He would have to explain all the technicalities, but close to full anyway.  I think the differences are going to be negligible though...

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,986 of 3,417

I already tried that. The adapter and the USB connector make for a long stretch.

Love your Beatles cartoon on the C5D 
smile.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,988 of 3,417
As i just ordered an C5D, i'll get interrested now. What i like most, and i didn't test the C5D yet, is the fast order processing, super support and the open-source design. PCB's are in clear view, no rubbed off microchips, Firmware is open source - and this leaves much room for tinkering around. :wink:
As i'm not really new to arduino, i am also interrested in changing the volume-switch behaviour and the setting of the filter. Because the low-latency filter is minimum-phase and the normal-delay-filter (FLT pin of PCM5102A to LOW) is a linear-phase-filter. In all my DACs and Software-Upsamplers i use the linear-phase-filter. To my ears, it sounds better, although it adds a little bit of pass-band ripple.

So how easy (or difficult) is it, to reprogramm the ATMEGA with modified volume-switch delay and filter-setting? I think i will need an ISP-Programmer, which we have plenty of at our company, and then i guess that i have to flash the Arduino-bootloader AND my modified sketch. Can this be done with the original-arduino software? 

kind regards
Fabian

(excuse my english please, as i'm from austria, thanks!)

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,989 of 3,417
  As i just ordered an C5D, i'll get interrested now. What i like most, and i didn't test the C5D yet, is the fast order processing, super support and the open-source design. PCB's are in clear view, no rubbed off microchips, Firmware is open source - and this leaves much room for tinkering around. :wink:
As i'm not really new to arduino, i am also interrested in changing the volume-switch behaviour and the setting of the filter. Because the low-latency filter is minimum-phase and the normal-delay-filter (FLT pin of PCM5102A to LOW) is a linear-phase-filter. In all my DACs and Software-Upsamplers i use the linear-phase-filter. To my ears, it sounds better, although it adds a little bit of pass-band ripple.

So how easy (or difficult) is it, to reprogramm the ATMEGA with modified volume-switch delay and filter-setting? I think i will need an ISP-Programmer, which we have plenty of at our company, and then i guess that i have to flash the Arduino-bootloader AND my modified sketch. Can this be done with the original-arduino software? 

kind regards
Fabian

(excuse my english please, as i'm from austria, thanks!)

Use a pogo pin attachment with any ISP programmer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Loaded-Pogo-Pins-Receptacles-for-Jtag-/250546684662?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item3a55bf02f6

If you already have Arduino working with your ISP programmer, most work is done. Just place the boards.txt file in the appropriate directory, select the "C5" board in Arduino, then upload your new code.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,991 of 3,417

Use a pogo pin attachment with any ISP programmer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Loaded-Pogo-Pins-Receptacles-for-Jtag-/250546684662?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item3a55bf02f6
If you already have Arduino working with your ISP programmer, most work is done. Just place the boards.txt file in the appropriate directory, select the "C5" board in Arduino, then upload your new code.

Thanks for the Answer! just ordered the adapter!
Did you made some listening-tests of the both filter-characteristics? And why is it set zu minimum-phase (low-latency) by default? I mean, low-latency is only usefull within studio-applications. In a headphone amp+dac it makes no sense to me, as latency does not matter here. Therefore i would leave the linear-phase (normal-latency) on by default. But maybe, you thinked about it, and have a good technical explaination - so i guess.
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,993 of 3,417

Thanks for the Answer! just ordered the adapter!
Did you made some listening-tests of the both filter-characteristics? And why is it set zu minimum-phase (low-latency) by default? I mean, low-latency is only usefull within studio-applications. In a headphone amp+dac it makes no sense to me, as latency does not matter here. Therefore i would leave the linear-phase (normal-latency) on by default. But maybe, you thinked about it, and have a good technical explaination - so i guess.
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Honestly, there is no audible advantage to activate the low-latency filter. In a logically equal sense, there's no disadvantage, so we left it enabled. Why not?

As a final incentive, I kept thinking back to this reviewer at TI.com, who thinkss otherwise. 
wink_face.gif

"The PCM5102 is very easy to use and allow reaching very good quality. The Apodising digital filter (Low latency) really improve sound rendering. Decoupling recommendation on the negative rail is a bit short, increase the size of capacitor in Pin 5 to reach the be

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,994 of 3,417
Honestly, there is no audible advantage to activate the low-latency filter. In a logically equal sense, there's no disadvantage, so we left it enabled. Why not?

As a final incentive, I kept thinking back to this reviewer at TI.com, who thinkss otherwise. :wink_face:

Hehehe don't give links like this one to 'audiophiles'!
Their neural networks are trained (over fitted, neural network theory, to be correct hehehe) to believe the sound Of the specs or the forums! Nothing to do with ears!

Please people don't get crossed I'm one of you probably hehehe :wink:

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,995 of 3,417
Hehehe don't give links like this one to 'audiophiles'!
Their neural networks are trained (over fitted, neural network theory, to be correct hehehe) to believe the sound Of the specs or the forums! Nothing to do with ears!

Please people don't get crossed I'm one of you probably hehehe
wink.gif

Hehe, true.

Everyone in  the office participated in an A/B test for the low-latency filter. No one could hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back