JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 20, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #1,727 of 3,417

That's right. Only D+, D-, and GND matter in self-power mode.

Hi John,

Even though Ill get my C5D today its actually one of the first ones after fixing the initial issue (A friend got it for me in the states).
Do I have to update the arduino 'firmware'?

thnx

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,728 of 3,417
Also if this is the same user, he wasn't a fan of the c5 and says the c5d is more congested. So it sounds worse than an amp he already didn't like, but it's good as a dac/amp combo? The combo should only be as good as its weakest link.

So just take that logic into mind. I'll be glad to post my impressions vs. the c5 as soon as i have a chance to hear the c5d. Not sure when that will be as i don't really need a dac at the moment..,

It does seem possible. The impact of the dac part on the amp shouldn't be underestimated. The result of using both at the same time can very well be different than using the amp solo. Two different people who have A/B tested both units have confirmed this by now.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,729 of 3,417
  Hi John,

Even though Ill get my C5D today its actually one of the first ones after fixing the initial issue (A friend got it for me in the states).
Do I have to update the arduino 'firmware'?

thnx

@Varoudis: I see no reason to update firmware. The original code gives slightly longer run time in amplifier-only mode. The current code, v1.2.0, is standard for C5Ds shipping this week, and an optional update to first batch C5Ds. It's not worth changing unless you're using a USB port that drops below 4.1V and then above 4.9V in half a second (nominal voltage being 5.0V). Your USB ports really shouldn't do that!

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,730 of 3,417
I just have a question of interest. I got my C5 about a week ago and I've listened a lot to it and it's great. 

Is the bass boost supposed to have that much of an increase? I can't even imagine bassheads listening to that much bass, maybe they do? I don't know how many db and that kind of stuff, but it is a lot. The normal mode is great though so that's where I listen.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,731 of 3,417
. Two different people who have A/B tested both units have confirmed this by now.

This doesn't change anything. 30 people can test it. This is even more likely to cause the next tester to hear something because they're expecting to. As i already described...

And in my experiences a dac is usually the smallest change in the chain of devices if everything you have is at least decent. Not to say this isn't a great dac, but that if you already have a decent dac like an ipod, a better dac will only be a small change.

The benefit of the c5d is that no matter what you connect it to you're going to know you have reference sound. But c5 with an ipod should sound very similar if not identical to the c5d and an ipod. Not a large change as was described. The impedance with a very touchy iem would probably cause more change in sound than the dac itself... But that's another topic and not directly indicative if the "sound quality" of either vs. the other except in achieving a target frequency response if you iem is sensitive to impedance.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,732 of 3,417
I just have a question of interest. I got my C5 about a week ago and I've listened a lot to it and it's great. 

Is the bass boost supposed to have that much of an increase? I can't even imagine bassheads listening to that much bass, maybe they do? I don't know how many db and that kind of stuff, but it is a lot. The normal mode is great though so that's where I listen.

The bass boost works well with the AKG K 701, especially for gaming, watching movies, enjoying electronic music.

Likewise, it's beneficial to have while mobile listening considering the bass, and especially the sub-bass, is the first to disappear with background noise around you (hence why noise cancelling headphones usually have noise cancelling features for bass frequencies, so you can hear that part better).

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,733 of 3,417
This doesn't change anything. 30 people can test it. This is even more likely to cause the next tester to hear something because they're expecting to. As i already described...

And in my experiences a dac is usually the smallest change in the chain of devices if everything you have is at least decent. Not to say this isn't a great dac, but that if you already have a decent dac like an ipod, a better dac will only be a small change.

The benefit of the c5d is that no matter what you connect it to you're going to know you have reference sound. But c5 with an ipod should sound very similar if not identical to the c5d and an ipod. Not a large change as was described. The impedance with a very touchy iem would probably cause more change in sound than the dac itself... But that's another topic and not directly indicative if the "sound quality" of either vs. the other except in achieving a target frequency response if you iem is sensitive to impedance.

Well, why don't you do the same test and report back
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,734 of 3,417

The C5's bass boost is +6.5 dB @80Hz. IMO it's a little too much for sensitive IEMs but you might want to turn it on if you use the C5 with orthordynamic or high impedance dynamic headphones due to its low output power.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #1,736 of 3,417

Well, why don't you do the same test and report back :wink:
I plan to. :)

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,737 of 3,417
The impedance with a very touchy iem would probably cause more change in sound than the dac itself... But that's another topic and not directly indicative if the "sound quality" of either vs. the other except in achieving a target frequency response if you iem is sensitive to impedance.

Same reason I got C5D instead of C5 even if I only use the amp most of the time

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,738 of 3,417
Thanks @jseaber this is top quality!

Sorry for the 'oldy' decor Im in grandpars old place.

:)

bass boost it priceless!

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,739 of 3,417

Really just depends on the headphones. C5 boost is nice on Senn 600s but not needed on more sensitive IEMs or on M-100s. It's what sounds good to you after all.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,740 of 3,417
Originally Posted by goswser 

Originally Posted by sparklyflea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really just depends on the headphones. C5 boost is nice on Senn 600s but not needed on more sensitive IEMs or on M-100s. It's what sounds good to you after all.

I don't use the bass boost much coz I like the neutral sound of C5D amp. But if need be the bass boost works well, it's clean and adds weight to the bass without pulling down details in mid/highs. Of course the headphone use will also be a factor how much bass quantity is present if bass boost is turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back