JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Dec 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #1,652 of 3,417
Why does my center bass seem higher? What freq changes does up/mid/low bass boost make?

It's mainly at 80hz, but the boost does affect up to about 1000 hz in a gradual curve back down to 0db boost. So it will affect the mid/bass and up a little bit.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,654 of 3,417
  Anyone here tried powering a q701 with these? How do they sound? Is the power enough?

Absolutely.

It even powers my HE-500s to a reasonable level.  I have the C5, not the C5D, but the amp section is the same.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,657 of 3,417

As good as the same, there are some minor differences looking at the numbers

IIRC, John mentioned the output impedance on the C5D is lower than the C5, but that it shouldn't be noticeable in normal use conditions (i.e., listening to music).  But yeah, JDS Labs is great for providing detailed info, so comparisons of measurements are easy to do for prospective buyers.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,658 of 3,417
DX50 -> C5D -> T1

Loves this combo. Just can't stop lsitening. C5D is truly a wondering little amp.

It physically matches the size of DX50 so stacking them is not a problem.

DX50 -> C5D -> JH16
Very portable if not the most portable HiFi combo.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,659 of 3,417
Ordered one as a Christmas present to myself from my fiancée :D Very much looking forward to hearing it.

Dumb question: I've read the digital volume control goes up in 1dB steps and has a total of 60-something steps. Does that not mean that it maxes out at 60-something decibels?

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,660 of 3,417
Dumb question here but is it possible to use the C5D as amp only? Currently using it with my phone but in the future I might want to upgrade to a real DAP.

BTW, JDS Labs probably has the fastest shipping I ever seen. They shipped my C5D 2.5 hours after I placed the order.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,661 of 3,417
Dumb question here but is it possible to use the C5D as amp only? Currently using it with my phone but in the future I might want to upgrade to a real DAP.

BTW, JDS Labs probably has the fastest shipping I ever seen. They shipped my C5D 2.5 hours after I placed the order.

Yes it has a Line In. I use it as amp only when paired with DX50. But I use the DAC/Amp combo when connected to my mac via USB.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,662 of 3,417
Well I just purchased my C5 - I'm really looking forward to it!

Why the C5 and not the C5D - well several reasons:
- pocket space is at a premium, especially in summer, and the C5D is 1.2 cm wider (12 mm) than the C5. That makes the C5D almost as wide as the Fiio E12 it replaces.
- I almost never listen to FLACs. Most of my music streaming is 320kbps mp3 or below and video files would be 128kbps or higher mp3 for the audio - from my limited understanding this means there would be no point in using a DAC in the first place?
- The C5 will be used almost exclusively with android devices. When I want to watch/listen to something on the MacBook, I'd be reaching for my bluetooth speakers or the cable for my receiver long before any headphones.
- I note the lower battery life in the C5D - there is a * next to the battery life and I had a look at the official JDS Labs site and it doesn't even say there what it means?
 I think I'd prefer the long battery life
- Can the C5D be used as a headphone amp alone (with no DAC)? *edit* never mind, that question is answered already
- The C5 was rated as "dead silence" when it comes to EMI in: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared - the whole point of this is to eliminate the EMI noise of the E12, and I don't know how the C5D fares in comparison.
- Taking all this into consideration, the extra $70 price tag would be money wasted wouldn't it?

I don't think a C5D is for me. Hopefully i've made the right choice.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #1,663 of 3,417
Well I just purchased my C5 - I'm really looking forward to it!

Why the C5 and not the C5D - well several reasons:
- pocket space is at a premium, especially in summer, and the C5D is 1.2 cm wider (12 mm) than the C5. That makes the C5D almost as wide as the Fiio E12 it replaces.
- I almost never listen to FLACs. Most of my music streaming is 320kbps mp3 or below and video files would be 128kbps or higher mp3 for the audio - from my limited understanding this means there would be no point in using a DAC in the first place?
- The C5 will be used almost exclusively with android devices. When I want to watch/listen to something on the MacBook, I'd be reaching for my bluetooth speakers or the cable for my receiver long before any headphones.
- I note the lower battery life in the C5D - there is a * next to the battery life and I had a look at the official JDS Labs site and it doesn't even say there what it means?

I think I'd prefer the long battery life
- Can the C5D be used as a headphone amp alone (with no DAC)? *edit* never mind, that question is answered already
- The C5 was rated as "dead silence" when it comes to EMI in: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared - the whole point of this is to eliminate the EMI noise of the E12, and I don't know how the C5D fares in comparison.
- Taking all this into consideration, the extra $70 price tag would be money wasted wouldn't it?

I don't think a C5D is for me. Hopefully i've made the right choice.

- Where do you get the 1.2cm difference? C5D has the exact same dimension as C5.

- C5D is a C5 + DAC and a lower output impedance which matters for low impedance IEMs.

- Mobile devices and even Macbooks have crappy DACs. Even if you only play MP3s, you'll get sonic improvement with external DACs.C5D's DAC is very good.

- C5D can be used as amp only just like a C5.

- Battery life for C5D should be around the same as C5 if used exclusively as amp only. Definitely lower if used as DAC/amp combo.

- Overall C5D is the best DAC/amp combo for the price. Could easily match $600+ offerings from other competitors.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #1,664 of 3,417
I can attest for the C5's RFI noise against the E12. I don't use the E12 as a portable amp partially because of that, partially because it's just way too big, partially because the input and output ports are reversed, and partially because the volume knob is hard to use. XD

- Overall C5D is the best DAC/amp combo for the price. Could easily match $600+ offerings from other competitors.

That's a pretty bold statement. How does the C5D stack up against the Leckerton UHA-4? Maybe it was the UHA-6, but there was one Leckerton amp that people claimed to sound better than the O2.
And more importantly, how does the C5D stack up against the widely discussed PHA-1?

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,665 of 3,417
I can attest for the C5's RFI noise against the E12. I don't use the E12 as a portable amp partially because of that, partially because it's just way too big, partially because the input and output ports are reversed, and partially because the volume knob is hard to use. XD
That's a pretty bold statement. How does the C5D stack up against the Leckerton UHA-4? Maybe it was the UHA-6, but there was one Leckerton amp that people claimed to sound better than the O2.
And more importantly, how does the C5D stack up against the widely discussed PHA-1?

Frankly, I notice RFI noise more on UHA-4 coz I put my phone together with my DAP/amp in one bag. I have not notice any noise with C5D. Sonic wise I like the C5D better than the UHA-4 especially with the T1. I was looking for the smallest amp that can properly drive my T1 so I have the versatility of bringing my T1 outside my house.

UHA-4 is no slough and can drive the T1. But the C5D just gives T1 more authority in reproducing details especially the lows. 

I think the UHA-6 is the direct competition of C5D. In terms of versatility UHA-6 has an edge. However, C5D is cheaper. I can't comment on SQ since I have not tried it yet.

Honestly I was considering the UHA-6. However, the dimensions are a little too weird in my opinion and would look awkward to stack it with a DAP. C5D has a perfect dimension for most DAP and the finish blends perfectly with my DX50. I suppose power-wise C5D and UHA-6 is on the same league.

I have to dust off my PHA-1 to get an idea for comparison. It's been a long time sine I use it. But from memory the PHA-1 is a good DAC/amp combo except for the high output impedance and the price is typical of Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back