JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Aug 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,292 of 3,417
Quote:
I love the C5. Only problem is now I need a wall adapter. Has anyone bought one that worked well. Pretty sure the C5 battery is 14 volts. Thanks guys. 

I use the Apple USB power adapter that came with my iPhone.  If you don't have one, you can probably find something similar at an electronics store near you.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,293 of 3,417
Quote:
I use the Apple USB power adapter that came with my iPhone.  If you don't have one, you can probably find something similar at an electronics store near you.

Ditto, pretty much. Mine's a generic AC-to-USB adapter I got with an accessories kit for my iPod Classic. Also, I often use a couple different USB extension cables to great effect.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,294 of 3,417
My amp shipped today so hopefully early next week I'll get it. I've been out of the portable game for a while so pretty excited to see what the newer amps are like,

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,296 of 3,417
The bass boost is really something to be desired. With my cowon X9 im able to get basically any sound I want out of my W4s short of my HD800s with the C5. Opens up a whole new world for Iems for me. In addition this thing is a lot smaller than I expected. The HD800s sound great out of it too! 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,297 of 3,417
mine will b here soon as well... i hope it sounds at least some what simmilar to my matrix m stage with a lme 49990 op... sourced out of the odac ill review it soon

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,298 of 3,417
Quote:
Nice impressions ThurstonX! I love the K 701 with the C5, but I tend to have it on high-gain mode for a bit more warmth.

Had to come back to this while I'm doing some "serious" listening tests with the K550s and Q701s. Long story short, while the M-Audio Revo 5.1's headphone amp + dedicated jack is pretty good by itself, running it (or the "Green" L/R line out) into the C5 makes for a marked improvement, esp. with the K550s. The sound straight out and in is a bit congested. With the C5 driving them, the K550s clean up very nicely. It's less noticeable on the Q701s.

And here's why I quote you: I'm definitely using high gain on the C5 with the Q701s. The low end was really suffering on low gain. I'm using the 24-bit 96KHz versions of "Circumstances" and "The Trees" by Rush. On high gain I find dropping the Preamp in AIMP3 by a few dBs and EQing 87, 125 and 175 Hz a bit really makes it come alive. And the C5 seems to drive 'em just fine with those adjustments. The K550s on low gain need no EQ.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,299 of 3,417
Well guys my C5 is in. I like the sound I'm not a big fan of the Sub bass boost atlhough,

On my k550s, the Sub Bass on them is already so tight, the boost seems to completely avoid the upper bass and lower Mids, which... is good I guess but well in Dub Step a wobble is all Upper Bass Lower Mids, over top Deep Sub bass. with ONLY the Sub Bass boosted well the k550 wobbles lop sided xD

Drum n Bass does a little better, but that bass boost is so lop sided. I mean a what +6 peak at 80 hrz, should roll off back to 0 around 200 hrz imo, if it doesn't you end up with this lob sided sound xD

It's not bad I guess I'm just not used to this lol. Some of the bass is boosted others aren't lol sounds kinda bizzare  

Even with the K550s forward ish mids, those Lower Mids and Upper Bass just lack the attack due to the sheer impact of the sub bass... 

What a funny wobble. I think I'll like it over time maybe although, the SUPER MID BASS HUMPED Dt 990 will LOVE this Sub Boost! But the Lopsided wobbleing K550 C5 combo will take some time to adjust to lawl. [ofc if I eq a mid bass hump in on top of the C5 hard eq it sounds a little better lol] 

So the bass is pretty balanced I will say...

In High gain the bass boost ruins my Dt 990s? Can this amp run 600 ohm cans :O as that High Gain is SERIOUSLY powerful it seems  

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,300 of 3,417
Quote:
Well guys my C5 is in. I like the sound I'm not a big fan of the Sub bass boost atlhough,

On my k550s, the Sub Bass on them is already so tight, the boost seems to completely avoid the upper bass and lower Mids, which... is good I guess but well in Dub Step a wobble is all Upper Bass Lower Mids, over top Deep Sub bass. with ONLY the Sub Bass boosted well the k550 wobbles lop sided xD

Drum n Bass does a little better, but that bass boost is so lop sided. I mean a what +6 peak at 80 hrz, should roll off back to 0 around 200 hrz imo, if it doesn't you end up with this lob sided sound xD

It's not bad I guess I'm just not used to this lol. Some of the bass is boosted others aren't lol sounds kinda bizzare  

Even with the K550s forward ish mids, those Lower Mids and Upper Bass just lack the attack due to the sheer impact of the sub bass... 

What a funny wobble. I think I'll like it over time maybe although, the SUPER MID BASS HUMPED Dt 990 will LOVE this Sub Boost! But the Lopsided wobbleing K550 C5 combo will take some time to adjust to lawl. [ofc if I eq a mid bass hump in on top of the C5 hard eq it sounds a little better lol] 

So the bass is pretty balanced I will say...

In High gain the bass boost ruins my Dt 990s? Can this amp run 600 ohm cans :O as that High Gain is SERIOUSLY powerful it seems  

Bass boost on the k550?  Those are one of my favorite headphones with NO eq. :)  They sound awesome.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,301 of 3,417
Quote:

Bass boost on the k550?  Those are one of my favorite headphones with NO eq. :)  They sound awesome.

Ditto. Just look at my avatar! 
atsmile.gif
  Maybe on the Q701, depending on the source.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,302 of 3,417
Quote:

Ditto. Just look at my avatar! 
atsmile.gif
  Maybe on the Q701, depending on the source.

All right.  Go rangy!  I've actually been considering buying the 550 I like it so much.  It's the closest thing to an hd600 closed.  I've heard it a few times and every time I love the flatness.  The only reason I never bought one is because the headband at its smallest setting isn't small enough for my head.  Ha.  The cups sit on my earlobes.  My head aint even that small!  I've been considering getting them and just adding foam or something under the headband as a spacer...  They can't be beat for the price.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,303 of 3,417
Quote:

Yes they do, but I like a little more bass on my EDM. I've mentioned I enjoy EDM with a good bit of BASS BOOOOST, and well sufficent amount's of bass boost still keep the K550 bass tight and deep, just give a touch more kick without changing the sound signiture, I mean cmon it's techno. The whole idea there is to CRANK IT UP and let that bass punch a hole in the side of ur head! 

That being said [always top notch customer service from John] JDS offered to set the hardware bass boost down if I wanted to [and I might drop it dwn by 1db]

THe biggest issues I have with it is with Nu Tone, Dan Gresham, just has a lot of decay in his DnB. Some songs sound good and others a little over whelming. Going back to lopsided wobbles. Benga and Rusko wobble differently so ofc one sounds better than the other with the bass boost [dang it Rusko] 

So sometimes the bass is just right, some times it's to much xD I guess I'll jut get used to it 

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,304 of 3,417
Hey guys...I've been experiencing a slight hissing noise when I use my C5 nowadays..seems like it began to occur after I accidently let it go fully flat yesterday.

I love the amp and all, but I've never recalled it hissing.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,305 of 3,417
Quote:
Hey guys...I've been experiencing a slight hissing noise when I use my C5 nowadays..seems like it began to occur after I accidently let it go fully flat yesterday.

C5 cannot be damaged by a drained battery. Common things to check:

1. Is source volume set as usual?
  2. Is amplifier gain and volume set to your usual positions?
  3. Have you changed sources or headphones?

We'll be glad to inspect if you'd like to send it in, but there's most likely a simple explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back