JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,641 of 3,417
  I think awhile ago somebody did a battery swap with an iPod or Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 battery on the C5. Does the C5D use the same battery?

If I remember correctly, that mod was discussed deep in this thread. Ultimately the battery was incompatible because it has a 2-wire connector (positive, negative), whereas C5/C5D use a 3-pin connector (positive, temp sensor, negative).

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,642 of 3,417

If I remember correctly, that mod was discussed deep in this thread. Ultimately the battery was incompatible because it has a 2-wire connector (positive, negative), whereas C5/C5D use a 3-pin connector (positive, temp sensor, negative).

Is there any place to get replacement/spare batteries (or any serial number or product number we could search for)?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,643 of 3,417

Yes, C5/C5D contain a smart charging IC. Battery charging stops at 100% charge level and does not resume until you either reconnect the USB cable (charging will quickly halt), or the level drops below 95%.

I think awhile ago somebody did a battery swap with an iPod or Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 battery on the C5. Does the C5D use the same battery?

Apparently the battery in the C5 is made by a company called Cameron Sino and it's actually an ipod 4th gen
compatible replacement battery(model no. CS-IPOD4HL...doh!).There's actually some benchmark done(
[COLOR=00FF00]here[/COLOR]
) when this guy was upgrading his battery(
[COLOR=00FF00]link[/COLOR]
) of his Gigabeat F player.It's not widely available it seems but you can still find one in [COLOR=00FF00]amazon[/COLOR] or a pricier one at [COLOR=00FF00]BraunOni's battery upgrade.com[/COLOR].I also found a compatible one at [COLOR=00FF00]ebay[/COLOR], so no worries at finding a replacement if you ever needed one.Cameron Sino actually makes good compatible batteries from the reviews I've read([COLOR=00FF00]here[/COLOR] and [COLOR=00FF00]here[/COLOR]).

But,but,but that's not the reason why I'm posting, although good info to have! I've actually done something special for you miceblue! and it's very doable!

Ok here it comes! Battery improvement mod!
Let the pics take over then!

the original C5 batt and the adhesive used is easily removable.

yes! that's an S3 2100mah battery temporarily connected with just a sticky tape(batt side)/connector pins(C5 side) and mounted with a small foam double-sided tape on the board.(See LED it's green!)

Very easily slides back in to the C5 case!

Enjoying my temporary mod with my old DAP the cowon D2 after all that work.

So there you go miceblue...longer battery life if you ever feel that the current one is still lacking!

Note:To make the mod permanent you have to solder or glue(not recommended) wires to the S3 battery and use a similar connector or small female pins(removable and shrinkwrap to prevent shortages) to connect to the C5,and you can search on ebay for cheaper compatible s3 battery options.

[COLOR=FF0000]Warning Update :This mod won't charge the S3 or any other battery that is not using the CSIPOD4HL battery Circuitry cause the the C5 can not detect the temperature properly.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]Solution: Remove the S3 battrey circuit and solder the CSIPOD4HL battery circuit onto the S3 battery(Do this at your own risk)[/COLOR]

[rule]This combo worked out better than I thought it would! I need to set the C5D to high gain and about volume 20/63, but it works well nonetheless.

Speaking of the battery though jseaber will the C5D function properly if I remove the battery and use the C5D only as a USB DAC/amp?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,644 of 3,417
Speaking of the battery though @jseaber will the C5D function properly if I remove the battery and use the C5D only as a USB DAC/amp?

He just mentioned a few posts ago that there is a smart charging circuit that only charges the battery when necessary, so you can use this as a desktop USB Dac/Amp for your more sensitive IEM's or headphones.

Part of why I picked the C5D is because I wanted something I could use on a desk, or on the go :) This little device does it all, sounds great, and looks classy.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,645 of 3,417
Speaking of the battery though [@=/u/143198/jseaber]@jseaber[/@] will the C5D function properly if I remove the battery and use the C5D only as a USB DAC/amp?

He just mentioned a few posts ago that there is a smart charging circuit that only charges the battery when necessary, so you can use this as a desktop USB Dac/Amp for your more sensitive IEM's or headphones.

Part of why I picked the C5D is because I wanted something I could use on a desk, or on the go :) This little device does it all, sounds great, and looks classy.

Right, that's when charging the battery. If I remove the battery as a whole though, will it the C5D still function properly as a USB DAC/amp? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I just wanted to double-check.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2,646 of 3,417
Just an FYI for anyone interested, the C5D works perfectly with the new LG G3.  I was never able to use it with my Nexus 5 based on the output configuration of the N5s microUSB, but that's not an issue anymore.  The G3 sounds fantastic with it.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,647 of 3,417
Is true or is just placebo? I have a feeling that my new C5 is suffering burn-in, using the amp for several days it seems soundstage is opening and bass become more prominent.

Thx

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,648 of 3,417
Is true or is just placebo? I have a feeling that my new C5 is suffering burn-in, using the amp for several days it seems soundstage is opening and bass become more prominent.

Thx

Real.  
dt880smile.png

JDS, when I asked them about how I should do burn-in, told me to just play music as I normally do, and to let it occur naturally (not play white noise or other for a few days non-stop).  After a week it sounded better, and after a month it sounded better still.  Are you using the stock interconnect?  That will burn-in also.  My expensive ones (silver, silver/gold) took a goodly time (I switched them at a certain point) to do so as well.    

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,649 of 3,417
What reasonable explanation can you provide for "burn-in" for solid state products? I only know of capacitors filling up, or the circuit reaching thermal equilibrium (for the most part), both of which should take less than an hour. I don't understand a month's worth of "burn-in" though.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #2,650 of 3,417
I have seen lots of posts on these threads pro and con the concept of burn-in on various devices.  I'm not an engineer or sound tech.  When I queried JDS, they told me to play normally to accomplish attaining full sound capabilities of the C5.   Other than that, I have no answer for you.

Edit: Found my response from JDS that I posted here in late Dec.   "Thanks for the great feedback!   Some C5 users have reported burn in to take about 50-100 hours. We always recommend natural usage; no special procedures are necessary."

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2,651 of 3,417
  I have seen lots of posts on these threads pro and con the concept of burn-in on various devices.  I'm not an engineer or sound tech.  When I queried JDS, they told me to play normally to accomplish attaining full sound capabilities of the C5.   Other than that, I have no answer for you.

Edit: Found my response from JDS that I posted here in late Dec.   "Thanks for the great feedback!   Some C5 users have reported burn in to take about 50-100 hours. We always recommend natural usage; no special procedures are necessary."

To follow up on burn-in, the above statement comes from customer feedback. I've yet to adopt a measurable theory of burn-in for solid-state amps, but that's not to totally discredit the idea. JDS Labs builds objectively excellent designs. While it's less often discussed in our product descriptions, we acknowledge the importance of the subjective experience (how does the device look and feel, and what do users think of the design). Subjective perception of sound quality morphs with time. Even if an amp exhibits no measurable changes, a user's brain can subjectively impact perception after a few days/weeks/years.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #2,653 of 3,417
My C5D laser engraving :D

So you see it's better to have an image with more mid tones.  More light grays than large dark spots (when desaturated).  Looks better at certain angles than straight on.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #2,654 of 3,417
Incredible. I'll upload some pics of my engraving soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back