JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,461 of 3,417

The iPod will not be able to drive many headphones. It does not drive my 250-ohm DT880s well at all. I have read that the DAC on the iPod is good, relatively speaking. So I imaging it is good with earphones. I find the C5D to be a good performer, but a tad lower in SQ compared to the O2/ODAC for instance.

Bob

Thanks for the quick reply!! I believe the phrasing of my question wasn't clear enough. I meant the iPod's line-out to a C5 compared to the C5D as a whole. I'm looking for another external amp for the iPod (right now it's stuck to a Fiio E11) as the Duet is rather large and the onboard amp of the iPod Video is recognized to be its bottleneck. If the C5D amp/DAC combo is better than the iPod/C5 combo, I'd get the C5D and just use an Apple CCK with my phone.

You can only use the DAC portion of the C5D with devices that support digital output. As of right now, only iDevices running iOS 7 can support digital output data. I use the iPod 5G/C5 or C5D as my main portable rig though. It sounds a bit more transparent than the stock iPod 5G, but if I'm in a pinch, the 5G does the job.

May 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #2,462 of 3,417
So.. If I were to use my iphone 5 with the C5D I will need to use a CCK + USB to 3.5mm into the C5D and that will use the C5 dac avoiding double amping.. Am I right ?
Also I would like to know how the C5 compares to a FiiO E12. Is the difference really that big ?
Thanks!

May 3, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,463 of 3,417
So.. If I were to use my iphone 5 with the C5D I will need to use a CCK + USB to 3.5mm into the C5D and that will use the C5 dac avoiding double amping.. Am I right ?
Also I would like to know how the C5 compares to a FiiO E12. Is the difference really that big ?
Thanks!

Yes that is correct. I didn't have the e12 for very long but what I remember is the bass boost really distorted the sound compared to the c5d. Maybe it's just because I am not a huge fan or the Fiio house sound. The c5d just seemed to be a cleaner device. I guess it should for 100 bucks more.

May 3, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #2,464 of 3,417
Yes that is correct. I didn't have the e12 for very long but what I remember is the bass boost really distorted the sound compared to the c5d. Maybe it's just because I am not a huge fan or the Fiio house sound. The c5d just seemed to be a cleaner device. I guess it should for 100 bucks more.

Nice. Oh ok, yeah I didn't expect to much from my first amp at 120$ but at least it introduced me to this :)
What about the leckerton UHA-6S.MKII is just about 30 dollars more than the C5D, have you had the chance to try it yet ? Or do you know which one people "like" the most, I'll need to look for a comparison.

May 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,465 of 3,417
Since this is an appreciation thread, I just wanted to say:
I've had my JDS Labs C5D for six months now.  I love it!  Great for pairing with my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones as well as my Etymotic HF5 IEMs.  Thank you JDS Labs!

May 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,466 of 3,417
You can only use the DAC portion of the C5D with devices that support digital output. As of right now, only iDevices running iOS 7 can support digital output data. I use the iPod 5G/C5 or C5D as my main portable rig though. It sounds a bit more transparent than the stock iPod 5G, but if I'm in a pinch, the 5G does the job.

Most android devices with cyanogenmod will work with usb out.

I believe a handful of devices will work with usb recorder if they wish to use the DAC without unlocking their bootloader and an even smaller array of phones support usb out without any special software such as the Galaxy S3.

May 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,467 of 3,417
I uploaded my video review for the C5D. It turned out to be a bit of an exercise with Final Cut Pro X since I was using a different camera and I ran into a few problems of the SD card running out of memory and only recording some of the video due to maximum file size limits. XD

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgOXWVK3Go[/video]

May 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,468 of 3,417
I uploaded my video review for the C5D. It turned out to be a bit of an exercise with Final Cut Pro X since I was using a different camera and I ran into a few problems of the SD card running out of memory and only recording some of the video due to maximum file size limits. XD

very nice video review .. thanks :)

May 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #2,469 of 3,417

My ipad 1 with the latest ios supported for that deveice (4 or 5 I guess) works fine with the c5d as well.

May 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2,470 of 3,417
Nice. Oh ok, yeah I didn't expect to much from my first amp at 120$ but at least it introduced me to this :)
What about the leckerton UHA-6S.MKII is just about 30 dollars more than the C5D, have you had the chance to try it yet ? Or do you know which one people "like" the most, I'll need to look for a comparison.

I'm interested to know this as well :D............I'm also curious to know how the c5d compares to the likes of the X5 and the dx90

May 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,471 of 3,417
I'm interested to know this as well :D............I'm also curious to know how the c5d compares to the likes of the X5 and the dx90

That's exactly what I'm waiting for because I'm planning to get either a new dx90 or a used ak100 . Anyone ...? :popcorn:

May 5, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,472 of 3,417

I know C5D pairs well with the X5 (I didn't like the on-board amp in the X). There's a local Head-Fier with the DX90 and plans to attend the next local meet in July. I'll be really busy with school in the next 2 months to finish up my undergraduate studies, but I can ask if we can meet before the July meet.

Woah...mobile Head-Fi didn't resize that at all. >.>

May 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2,473 of 3,417
That's exactly what I'm waiting for because I'm planning to get either a new dx90 or a used ak100 . Anyone ...? 
popcorn.gif

I'm hoping for more people will chime in as well!

Quote:
I know C5D pairs well with the X5 (I didn't like the on-board amp in the X). There's a local Head-Fier with the DX90 and plans to attend the next local meet in July. I'll be really busy with school in the next 2 months to finish up my undergraduate studies, but I can ask if we can meet before the July meet.

7e97ee83_IMG_0164.jpeg

That sounds great! I'll like to know what you think when you hear the dx90.

I'm looking for a portable solution and I'm wondering what would be my best bet. The dx50 left me wanting for more. I was considering my nexus 5(with cyanogenmod 11) paired with either the C5D or the UHA-6S.MKII as a dac/amp option or if I should just go for a dedicated dap like the dx90 or the x5... I am leaning towards the c5d and uha as they are cheaper and I would prefer a phone stack over having an extra device(dap) to carry around. Looking for something that is the most transparent!!

decisions...decisions!!!! :S

I have a Mikros 90 on the way and will be using that as my portable can.

May 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,474 of 3,417
  I was considering my nexus 5(with cyanogenmod 11) paired with either the C5D or the UHA-6S.MKII as a dac/amp option or if I should just go for a dedicated dap like the dx90 or the x5... I am leaning towards the c5d and uha as they are cheaper and I would prefer a phone stack over having an extra device(dap) to carry around. Looking for something that is the most transparent!!

I wasn't really a fan of the UHA-6S MKII...it was too big and bulky, and I didn't like how it didn't have bass toggle just in case it's needed.  It also didn't seem to have nearly as much power as the C5D...so ultimately I returned it.  The C5D just seems to be a much better all around package.  Sound wise, they were quite similar so I really based it on features and portability when deciding which to keep and which to get rid of.

May 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,475 of 3,417

I wasn't really a fan of the UHA-6S MKII...it was too big and bulky, and I didn't like how it didn't have bass toggle just in case it's needed.  It also didn't seem to have nearly as much power as the C5D...so ultimately I returned it.  The C5D just seems to be a much better all around package.  Sound wise, they were quite similar so I really based it on features and portability when deciding which to keep and which to get rid of.

Thank you, this was really valuable. I can remove the UHA-6S MKII as an option. So its just the C5D now against the X5 and the dx90!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back