JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,266 of 3,417
  Ah, yes. That, too. The O2 + ODAC combo is a great, transparent desktop DAC setup, and if you need a portable DAC setup with sound characteristics nearing that of the O2 + ODAC, the C5D is a good way to go.
The only caveat is that you need extra cables (i think the shortest possible route from your iPhone > C5D is about 6 1/2 inches long), but you're getting the whole setup at prices waaay more cheaper than MFi certified external DACs. A small sacrifice for affordable quality audio.

Yes, according to JDS Labs, you do not need a USB hub like you do with the O2 + ODAC. Even though the cabling is needed,  I still think the C5D will make for a good transportable amp/DAC.  I do not know if another amp/DAC would actually make for a better choice without spending more money.

The Fiio products have a well-documented problem with the battery. I think one needs to make sure there is a good return policy, or at leasts extended coverage, before purchasing one. The Fiio X3 I had stopped charging in during the time it was charging. Not only did the battery not charge any longer, but I also could not use the unit plugged in.

Bob Graham

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,267 of 3,417
I just ordered a pair of AKG K712s. Will the C5D be able to power these headphones fairly well? I'm not looking for the ultimate experience, mind you, but an acceptable one.

I have been using my C5/ipod classic with the K712 for a couple months, and it's a very good combo for everything I listen to. The multi-position bass boost works wonders for electronic music on the K712. Good stuff!

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,272 of 3,417
ok I have seen on jds's website that you there are 2 gain settings and 3 bass boost settings. I had the c5 and am looking into the c5d, and when i had my c5 there was just the volume toggle and a bass boost switch. The bass boost switch only went from off to on, with no middle setting. How is this 3 settings? and how do you switch the gain from low to high? just by turning up the volume toggle?

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,273 of 3,417
ok I have seen on jds's website that you there are 2 gain settings and 3 bass boost settings. I had the c5 and am looking into the c5d, and when i had my c5 there was just the volume toggle and a bass boost switch. The bass boost switch only went from off to on, with no middle setting. How is this 3 settings? and how do you switch the gain from low to high? just by turning up the volume toggle?

The C5 was recently updated in December to include the 3-way bass toggle switch.

You adjust the gain by pushing the volume button into the C5/D.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,274 of 3,417
The C5 was recently updated in December to include the 3-way bass toggle switch.

You adjust the gain by pushing the volume button into the C5/D.

I see, so the c5 i used to have must have been older. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,275 of 3,417
Wow, that's a really great design! I like it!

I'm still in the process of writing my C5D review. School has been really busy recently though, so I haven't had much time to add stuff to it. >.>

I look forward to hearing your impressions. After ordering and returning the E12 I thought your YouTube description was spot on. I was about to order the BH2 because of how you described it in the video, and for the battery life. I keep coming back to the C5 however for the reported improved sound quality. I wish more places would sell portable amps in store so customers could try them before you purchase them.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #2,276 of 3,417
Hello all!

I now have a C5D and an iPod Touch with the CCK for Lightening cable all in my possession.  This setup works very well. I will report if there is any sound quality difference between the O2 + ODAC combo and the C5D on batteries.

Bob Graham

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,278 of 3,417
Yup. Fantastic combo right there.

Yes it is. :wink: But I have one problem. How can I get the computer to recognize the C5D when the USB cable is plugged into it? I am right now charging the unit. I have tried turning on the DAC/amp, but no power llight turns on. I have also toggled the CHG/BAT switch to no avail. I am going to try again when it is no longer being charged. But I have been told I can still use it when the unit is charging anyways by JDS Labs.

What do you think?

Bob Graham

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #2,279 of 3,417
Yes it is. :wink: But I have one problem. How can I get the computer to recognize the C5D when the USB cable is plugged into it? I am right now charging the unit. I have tried turning on the DAC/amp, but no power llight turns on. I have also toggled the CHG/BAT switch to no avail. I am going to try again when it is no longer being charged. But I have been told I can still use it when the unit is charging anyways by JDS Labs.

What do you think?

Bob Graham

You've got me. I plug mine in and the computer recognizes it right away and off I go. Both my Windows 7 PC and my MacBook Air work fine. Sounds defective to me.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #2,280 of 3,417
Make sure you switch the power switch on when it's plugged into the computer otherwise it just charges. The power switch has to be on for it to be recognized as a DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back