JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #2,251 of 3,417
WARNING: Newbie here!

My current setup is an Heir Audio 4.Ai connected directly to an iPhone 5s.  Source files are mostly ALAC with some iTunes Store purchases.

I'm interested in upgrading my setup, including the JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase at some point.  But as a stepping stone (especially since I gather CIEMs would probably require an amp anyway), I'm considering the JDS Labs C5D.  I had the opportunity to test the C5D but only with the amp section (the store didn't have the CCK) and was a bit "disappointed".  It's probably not the C5D's fault but just my newbie ears not noticing any significant improvement.

Two (probably related) questions:
1.  Although I'm loving the Heir Audio 4.Ai and don't currently hear any significant deficiencies, I believe I'd benefit from getting a cleaner signal through an external DAC.  Any thoughts?  Do you think it's likely I'd get an SQ bump from the C5D?

2.  The 4.Ai's seem pretty easy to drive and I don't listen at high volume - could I get a DAC only like the ODAC and just connect the 4.Ai to the ODAC?  Why would I need an amp for an IEM?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2,252 of 3,417
There is plenty of quality DAPs around and if you only use in ears, customs or not, there is absolutely no need for an amp.
I got a C5D to pair with my android phone, which sound great on its own, but I slightly preferred the sound of the C5D. 
The ODAC as you mentioned is a DAC only so only has line level outputs so you can't plug you IEM in it.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,253 of 3,417

My current setup is an Heir Audio 4.Ai connected directly to an iPhone 5s.  Source files are mostly ALAC with some iTunes Store purchases.

I'm interested in upgrading my setup, including the JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase at some point.  But as a stepping stone (especially since I gather CIEMs would probably require an amp anyway), I'm considering the JDS Labs C5D.  I had the opportunity to test the C5D but only with the amp section (the store didn't have the CCK) and was a bit "disappointed".  It's probably not the C5D's fault but just my newbie ears not noticing any significant improvement.

1.  Although I'm loving the Heir Audio 4.Ai and don't currently hear any significant deficiencies, I believe I'd benefit from getting a cleaner signal through an external DAC.  Any thoughts?  Do you think it's likely I'd get an SQ bump from the C5D?

2.  The 4.Ai's seem pretty easy to drive and I don't listen at high volume - could I get a DAC only like the ODAC and just connect the 4.Ai to the ODAC?  Why would I need an amp for an IEM?

If you are exclusively using iems, customs or universal and no plans on using full size headphone, you are better off getting a high quality DAP. Getting an amplifier to upgrade the SQ of your current setup would yield the least to no difference at all.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,255 of 3,417
I just ordered a pair of AKG K712s. Will the C5D be able to power these headphones fairly well? I'm not looking for the ultimate experience, mind you, but an acceptable one.

Yup that should be a good pairing. I like to use the C5D's bass boost with the K 701 and it's awesome for gaming and watching movies.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #2,256 of 3,417
I have purchased the C5D. It will arrive by Thursday. What I need now is a portable source that works well with the C5D. I prefer to be using the DAC USB input. Would an iPod work with this amp/DAC? How would this work out wrt SQ? Will I need an iPod Touch for the digital signal to the DAC? I do have an iPod Nano that I may use until I can actually afford to purchase something better. This would mean bypassing the DAC part. But I still am willing to consider other options, particularly to make use of the DAC.

Thanks!

Bob Graham

PS: I managed to get my iPad 4 to work with my O2/ODAC combo. But this setup is not practical for me.

Is the same Bob Graham from MERA? If so, small world.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,257 of 3,417
Just received my C5D today. I am using with an iphone 5s and ipad mini via the camera connection USB adapter. Is anyone using this config and playing high res files? If so, what player are you using. I realize that you can use up to 96k files.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,258 of 3,417
Just received my C5D today. I am using with an iphone 5s and ipad mini via the camera connection USB adapter. Is anyone using this config and playing high res files? If so, what player are you using. I realize that you can use up to 96k files.

What CCK did you use for your iPhone? I have the iPhone 4S, but there must be something similar for it. I wonder if I can use the 32-pin to USB connector with a portable USB hub to make it work? I have the O2 + ODAC working with my iPad 4 with the Lightening to USB camera adapter and USB hub.

Bob Graham

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,260 of 3,417

What CCK did you use for your iPhone? I have the iPhone 4S, but there must be something similar for it. I wonder if I can use the 32-pin to USB connector with a portable USB hub to make it work? I have the O2 + ODAC working with my iPad 4 with the Lightening to USB camera adapter and USB hub.

Bob Graham

For an iPhone 4S with iOS 7, the iPad CCK works perfectly with the C5D. JDS Labs recently made a blog post covering all of the DAC connection methods for Android and iDevices: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #2,261 of 3,417

To (hopefully) answer your query:
1. Using an external DAC to bypass the internal one produces a completely different sound signature, rather than just cleaner signal per se. If you want a clean(er) signal while retaining most of your iDevice's sound characteristics, an amp like the C5 should suffice instead of a DAC. And i'd like to say, that this is a highly subjective matter which means you should try it out before buying. Get a CCK (it doesn't cost much) and be sure of what you want to hear before emptying out that wallet.

2. If you're interested in getting an ODAC, do note that your setup should be: iPhone > CCK > USB hub > ODAC > 4.Ai.
The CCK has a current consumption limit of 5mA, while the ODAC is 4 times that. Using a USB hub fools the iPhone into thinking that the attached device is running within the limit. I believe that the ODAC works well on a desktop setup, but as far as mobile usage is concerned, it's quite messy.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #2,262 of 3,417
Also the ODAC doesn't have a dedicated headphone amp, so it's not a good idea to connect the headphones directly to it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #2,263 of 3,417
  Also the ODAC doesn't have a dedicated headphone amp, so it's not a good idea to connect the headphones directly to it.

Ah, yes. That, too. The O2 + ODAC combo is a great, transparent desktop DAC setup, and if you need a portable DAC setup with sound characteristics nearing that of the O2 + ODAC, the C5D is a good way to go.
The only caveat is that you need extra cables (i think the shortest possible route from your iPhone > C5D is about 6 1/2 inches long), but you're getting the whole setup at prices waaay more cheaper than MFi certified external DACs. A small sacrifice for affordable quality audio.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #2,264 of 3,417
  Ah, yes. That, too. The O2 + ODAC combo is a great, transparent desktop DAC setup, and if you need a portable DAC setup with sound characteristics nearing that of the O2 + ODAC, the C5D is a good way to go.
The only caveat is that you need extra cables (i think the shortest possible route from your iPhone > C5D is about 6 1/2 inches long), but you're getting the whole setup at prices waaay more cheaper than MFi certified external DACs. A small sacrifice for affordable quality audio.

I've had the C5 over a year now and I still LOVE it!  When the C5D came out I was excited to upgrade but I did not want a mess of cables for a portable setup.  So after months of deliberating and researching and trolling, I got a V-MODA Vamp Verza (Apple certified MFi device) to connect with my Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro/iMac. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #2,265 of 3,417
My wallet sends its sincere gratitude to headwhacker, AzrinRain, and molika! I was minutes from plunking money down (sorry JDS).
Meanwhile, I'll look into the Fiio X5. Not sure I'm willing to sacrifice the convenience of a single device though!

Thanks again
Tesla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back