JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Dec 15, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #46 of 641
Can anyone comment on whether the Atom should be able to drive T50 RPs (e.g., planar magnetics). I'm having my second go-round with the Emotiva A-100 right now, and I can't tell if I'm completely crazy or if something just sounds *off*. Like, muddy, messy, whatever. I have the jumpers in for 'high gain', and yea, the hissing is really an issue. I'm thinking about cutting my losses, trying to sell the A-100, and going with the Atom. As a successor to the O2, I've read that the O2 had sufficient current to drive T50s/didn't really result in any issues with those headphones, yet the Atom has more power.

Any experience or insight with this is much appreciated.

Dec 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #47 of 641
Bequietjk:

I don’t think you understand the difference between a preamp and an amp.

A preamp is used to boost the input signal to match the line level signal and an amplifier is used to amplify the line level signal to get sound to the speakers or headphones.

There are tube preamps and solid state preamps, just as there are tube amplifiers and solid state amplifiers.

The Sunrise and Horizon units you mention are amplifiers (not preamps).

You shouldn’t run two “amplifiers” in series.

Dec 16, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #48 of 641
@jimbop54 Ok. That's definitely what I was wanting to know and I was told double amping isn't recommended. I thought that if the unit has preamp outputs that it would act the same way a preamp would. My intention was to utilize the 2 amplifiers together someway so that I could get more power to the headphones.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #52 of 641
S/E input but four pin balanced headphone output ! The foxtex is not a fully balanced headphone amp, period.

It's a DAC/Amp, and the specs do not indicate if the DAC operates balanced or single end'd, how ever I would assume given that it's an all in one unit it would be a balanced DAC topology feeding into a Balanced Amp. If Fostex Designed the Dac to operate Single end'd and choose to offer balanced amplification only that would... an interesting choice, but I see no given indication either way.

Still the unit isn't resolving enough nor powerful enough, an while I don't see how the correction adds anything to this thread I do appreciate your participating and your viewing the video!

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #53 of 641
I love my ol dac + atom + 58X combo! Not so much with my HD600 but with the 58X I'm really digging it. Probably be even better with better source files but for what it is I enjoy it. It's a great fun and budget friendly setup.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #54 of 641
I love my ol dac + atom + 58X combo! Not so much with my HD600 but with the 58X I'm really digging it. Probably be even better with better source files but for what it is I enjoy it. It's a great fun and budget friendly setup.
HD600's sound too lean for my taste with low impedance amps. Bought a schiit loki to fatten up the sound - you might want to try it, it's actually good fun tweaking the sound to compensate for a particular headphones perceived deficiencies/response curve.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #55 of 641
I have a question for you more knowledgeable guys. I have a set of AKG Q701 Quincy Jones series and looking for a good entry level amp with a budget of $100.
Now my hearing sucks so loudness is probably the #1 need. Between The JDS Atom and Magni 3, which would be the better choice for someone half deaf needing power and loudness?

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #56 of 641
I have a question for you more knowledgeable guys. I have a set of AKG Q701 Quincy Jones series and looking for a good entry level amp with a budget of $100.
Now my hearing sucks so loudness is probably the #1 need. Between The JDS Atom and Magni 3, which would be the better choice for someone half deaf needing power and loudness?

I entered the Q701 impedance and sensitivity into the calculator at Digizoid and while the Magni 3 is the more powerful amp, both can drive the headphones to painful listening levels (120 db i.e. louder than a jackhammer). You're good on either in the sense of hearing the music. The Magni 3 is made out of metal and is the better built and looking amp IMO while the Atom is made of high quality plastic but the difference is what is on the inside. The Atom is the cleaner sounding amp with lower distortion and would be my preference at that price range.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #57 of 641
I have an AKG k702 in my own personal collection and I quite like it with the Atom

They said before the only people who may find this amp isn't for them or those of you that own legacy planar magnetics, like my HE 560 sounds a bit too soft on the Atom. That said I have yet to find a dynamic that I didn't like with Atom, even both of my old-school 70s n 80s AKG k240s sound excellent from it.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #59 of 641
Well guys i broke down and got it. It is here at the house and i got two words so far

Holy sheeeit!

This completely blows my prior amp, the FiiO e10K out of the water. $99 or $114 shipped is highway robbery.
I am just going to enjoy it tonight with a copy of dire straights, maybe some Boston if the mood flows that direction.
Then do a bit of a review in a few days when i have had some time to really test the different genres of music i enjoy and tinker with Equalizer APO.
Thank you all again.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #60 of 641
I'm not going to sell my Jotunheim multibit because it has a balanced connector but is the Atom amp + OL DAC or EL AMP + EL DAC combo an improvement? Reviewers have called them extremely clean with low THD (lower than the jotunheim looking at the specs).
Jotunheim's DAC could definitely be better considering it's price: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dsd-black-label-dacs-and-headphone-amps.3717/ Multibit also looks messy: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back