JDS Atom Stack vs Schiit stack?
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

n3gativ3

New Head-Fier
Looking at buying one of the two mentioned but really don't know which, both similarly priced

I'm currently in the process of downgrading as I really just don't need the power I currently have (789+d70)

Haven't seen any comparison between the atom stack and schiit stack, so im hoping someone here has compared them

I've had a schiit stack in the past modi/magni 2

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Looking at buying one of the two mentioned but really don't know which, both similarly priced
I'm currently in the process of downgrading as I really just don't need the power I currently have (789+d70)
Haven't seen any comparison between the atom stack and Schiit stack, so I'm hoping someone here has compared them
I've had a Schiit stack in the past Modi/Magni 2 Thanks!
I'm going to guess they are generally neck and neck.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 10
Just got the Atom stack for X-mas and think it sounds great; I've never heard the Schiit stack, though. Looking at the posted measurements, they should sound identical. The other differences seem like a bit of a tossup to me...

Atom stack:
Pros:
  • gain and power switches on front panel; convenient if you use high impedance/low sensitivity headphones as well as more sensitive ones
Cons:
  • only usb input
  • very light; slides around desk when inserting headphones and sits very slightly askew due to cables.
  • slightly flimsy feeling; shouldn't matter unless you're going to be moving it around a lot.

Schiit stack:
Pros:
  • multiple inputs
  • weighs about 2x the Atom stack
  • metal enclosure (I think)
  • A little extra power at 600Ω
Cons:
  • Power switch and gain switches on back panel

Since I keep my setup under my monitor riser, the Atom stack is preferable because it has the switches in the front. Having the switches on the back would be an annoying PITA.
I might consider the Modi for another system that needs S/PDIF.

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 10
With all due respect to Schiit, I did buy the ATOM Stack. The deciding factor for me was the AC power supply for the DAC. The Modi gets it power from USB. I have had Magni & Modi in the past. Very good items. You can't go wrong either way.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 10
Just got the Atom stack for X-mas and think it sounds great; I've never heard the Schiit stack, though. Looking at the posted measurements, they should sound identical. The other differences seem like a bit of a tossup to me...

Atom stack:
Pros:
  • gain and power switches on front panel; convenient if you use high impedance/low sensitivity headphones as well as more sensitive ones
Cons:
  • only usb input
  • very light; slides around desk when inserting headphones and sits very slightly askew due to cables.
  • slightly flimsy feeling; shouldn't matter unless you're going to be moving it around a lot.

Schiit stack:
Pros:
  • multiple inputs
  • weighs about 2x the Atom stack
  • metal enclosure (I think)
  • A little extra power at 600Ω
Cons:
  • Power switch and gain switches on back panel

Since I keep my setup under my monitor riser, the Atom stack is preferable because it has the switches in the front. Having the switches on the back would be an annoying PITA.
I might consider the Modi for another system that needs S/PDIF.

Good breakdown. Another pro for the Atom stack is that the Atom amp has a second input, so it's very simple to add an additional source component to your set-up.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Keep in mind that the best set-up for some may be an Atom amp and a Schiit Modi. That's the only combination here to get multiple digital inputs AND multiple analog inputs

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Good breakdown. Another pro for the Atom stack is that the Atom amp has a second input, so it's very simple to add an additional source component to your set-up.
Right. Forgot about the second input.

Keep in mind that the best set-up for some may be an Atom amp and a Schiit Modi. That's the only combination here to get multiple digital inputs AND multiple analog inputs
But then it won't be cute and matchy-matchy!
weird-match.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 10
It's probably down to whether or not you'll use headphones and IEMs of different sensitivity and impedance; or if you prefer something with a little more heft that won't slide around on your desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back