JBL CLUB ONE
Oct 2, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #47 of 75
I am seriously considering to get this (there is a 40% discount in my local shop) but the weight scares me away. Can anyone comment on the general comfort of club one for long listening session? How forgiving is its clamping force? Thank you :)

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #48 of 75
I am seriously considering to get this (there is a 40% discount in my local shop) but the weight scares me away. Can anyone comment on the general comfort of club one for long listening session? How forgiving is its clamping force? Thank you :)

To me it's a comfortable headphone, but that's something very personal... yet I don't see any major faults in that regard, pads are deep, cushioning soft. I don't feel the weight wearing them, yet they have a good solid feel in hand.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #49 of 75
To me it's a comfortable headphone, but that's something very personal... yet I don't see any major faults in that regard, pads are deep, cushioning soft. I don't feel the weight wearing them, yet they have a good solid feel in hand.
Thanks, Plakat! Could you give a brief comparison of the comfort of JBL club when compared to Aonic 50 (I assume you still have it?)? I actually found the latter to be rather uncomfortable due to its clamping force

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #50 of 75
Thanks, Plakat! Could you give a brief comparison of the comfort of JBL club when compared to Aonic 50 (I assume you still have it?)? I actually found the latter to be rather uncomfortable due to its clamping force

Yes, I really like the Aonic 50 and plan on keeping them for longer.
I'd say the JBL has a bit less clamping force, with the headband being more rigid on the Shure and more elastic on the JBL. That plus deeper ear pads (my ears do touch the driver cover in the Aonic 50 cups, but not in the JBL cups). The JBL is much more compact (smaller cups and folds into a ball like some V-Moda models do). But I have to say that the Aonic 50 is very comfortable to me, so you might not deduce much from my experience with the JBL...

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #52 of 75
Hi plakat, it's been months since I last spoke on this thread. I'm asking for your opinion once again. Since I last talked to you, my interests have shifted from piano music to carpenters and other oldies. Would you say the jbl is now better? Really really tempting the both of them, I can get the shure for about 320 bucks or jbl for 250

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #53 of 75
Hi plakat, it's been months since I last spoke on this thread. I'm asking for your opinion once again. Since I last talked to you, my interests have shifted from piano music to carpenters and other oldies. Would you say the jbl is now better? Really really tempting the both of them, I can get the shure for about 320 bucks or jbl for 250

Hi!
While I still like the sound signature of the Club One, the upper midrange is a bit too prominent for my taste... It's not problematic (especially not with electronics) but I would prefer a bit less. On headphones I only listen to electronic music, which plays to the JBL's nice bass implementation, but other music with a focus on the midrange and maybe less than perfect mastering might sound better on the Shure Aonic 50, which has a the more linear tuning and is therefore better suited to different genres.

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 75
Hi!
While I still like the sound signature of the Club One, the upper midrange is a bit too prominent for my taste... It's not problematic (especially not with electronics) but I would prefer a bit less. On headphones I only listen to electronic music, which plays to the JBL's nice bass implementation, but other music with a focus on the midrange and maybe less than perfect mastering might sound better on the Shure Aonic 50, which has a the more linear tuning and is therefore better suited to different genres.
Thank you once again. In terms of looks and build quality, which one do you prefer? I haven't seen both in real life. And is the shure carrying case too big?

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #55 of 75
Thank you once again. In terms of looks and build quality, which one do you prefer? I haven't seen both in real life. And is the shure carrying case too big?

Both feel very good in hand, solid and, especially in case of the Club One, with some heft to them.
The case for the Aonic 50 is much too big for everyday use, the Club One case is nice and compact.

I like the magnetically attached pads of the Club One (which happen to be surprisingly deep and quite comfortable despite being rather compact), but my fear is that JBL won't remember they even built this headphone one year after cancelling it, while I'd expect Shure to sell spare parts for quite some time. On the other hand its a consumer model for them as well, so it might not enjoy the same level of support as the models that cater more to the professional market...

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #58 of 75
Anyone know if you still need to turn ANC off every time you power these on?
Looking at these for wired passive listening since the build quality is phenomenal and I love me some Harman tuning. If you listen passively through the wire I imagine that the ANC stays off?

These are passive by default when you attach a wire. Though they default to passive, if you like, you can turn the ANC on while the wire is attached to get line source and still use anc. I find the passive isolation to be better overall because it retains the sound quality.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #59 of 75
Awesome! Thanks for the response.
A little concerned about weight, although they seemed comfortable in my in-store testing....apart from the K371, what are some competitors that operate nicely wired? I feel that it’s a mixed bag with wireless/anc phones how they’ll sound when plugged in.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #60 of 75
Awesome! Thanks for the response.
A little concerned about weight, although they seemed comfortable in my in-store testing....apart from the K371, what are some competitors that operate nicely wired? I feel that it’s a mixed bag with wireless/anc phones how they’ll sound when plugged in.

vmoda crossfade2 wireless or vmoda m200 anc

I’ve heard the wired 200 & crossfade2 wireless. My friend has the 2 & I trialed the wired m200 against these. I assume that you’re interested in the mixed use and have a preference for passive while having wireless options. Imho, these are the tits because of the Harman tuning.

One thing of note is that they have +3db of bass shelf over the akg tuning. You can search and find a talk by Sean Olive about the 3 core targets for the core target and then two other targets that satisfy the more-bass & more-treble oriented demographics. JBL products use the more bass. To me, it has a very “live sound reinforcement” type of presence in how it’s tuned and I adore it.

I also have the K371. It’s great for playing my guitar with headphones and having a standard Harman reference.

I have a lot of cans and am critical/analytical. I love these and feel they don’t get the praise they deserve. Especially with those vmoda prices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back