JBL CLUB ONE
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #61 of 75
I have the V-moda m100 Master with XL pads and slowly falling in love with it. It’s still a little uncomfortable for all-day office use, but the soundstage is absolutely wonderful and some of the best-tuned bass I’ve heard in any headphone. (Quality-wise. Quantity is a little higher than balanced [lower than V-Moda’s other consumer-oriented models] but the texture, control, depth and detail is awesome).

Trying to get away from Bluetooth due to battery and health concerns. My old wireless headphones always seem to die before their time, with well-built wired lasting upwards of 6 years.

Anyway, the search continues! The JBL is a great bookmark to have though, and I was impressed with the Harman-esque tuning (if not 2+ DB across the whole bass range). That build quality really is fantastic, at least at a glance.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #63 of 75
I want to buy these JBLs But my friends discourage me in favor of Sony(https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3), I compared them, I like the sound in JBL more, pls help me with the choice!

Find a way to practice your decision making process so that you can get more confident with it. Your friends are probably great but are they trained listeners? The Sony has the hype. It’s got a sound that many enjoy. The anc is certainly better on the sony.

I had a Sony M3 for about a year and never really enjoyed the sound.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #64 of 75
I want to buy these JBLs But my friends discourage me in favor of Sony(https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm3), I compared them, I like the sound in JBL more, pls help me with the choice!
Unless your friends are experienced listeners I would take their advice as a response to hype.
The XM4 doesn't sound awful at all, but I personally found it overly warm with an overhyped low end.
If you need the best ANC possible, the Sony might be the way to go.

If you like the sound of the JBLs more and they don't have anything you obviously don't like comfort/build/features wise, get them!
I've tried a slew of wireless ANC headphones and the JBLs seemed exceptionally well built to me, with a punchy yet clean sound and no major disadvantages apart from perhaps a slightly-heavier-than-average weight.
Lastly, I would encourage you to be adventurous. I found the best headphones I've ever owned by taking a risk on something I liked and that fit my needs, not trying to find the best headphone.

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #65 of 75
Unless your friends are experienced listeners I would take their advice as a response to hype.
The XM4 doesn't sound awful at all, but I personally found it overly warm with an overhyped low end.
If you need the best ANC possible, the Sony might be the way to go.

If you like the sound of the JBLs more and they don't have anything you obviously don't like comfort/build/features wise, get them!
I've tried a slew of wireless ANC headphones and the JBLs seemed exceptionally well built to me, with a punchy yet clean sound and no major disadvantages apart from perhaps a slightly-heavier-than-average weight.
Lastly, I would encourage you to be adventurous. I found the best headphones I've ever owned by taking a risk on something I liked and that fit my needs, not trying to find the best headphone.
Thank u for review!!
Today I was in the store and listened to Jbl and bought it :)

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #66 of 75
I just ordered these. Listened to them briefly in a store and really liked what i heard. The build quality and comfort was also excellent. I plan to use them both ways, wireless and wired. Wired it will be my main closed headphone when i need isolation. It will probably replace my Mackie MC-350 which have a superb tonality, not quite Harman Response but more mid centric. However the Mackie lacks in comfort and portability. Looking forward to receive the JBLs on Tuesday.

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #67 of 75
Ok got these in yesterday. First the good things, they are very comfortable, the leather pads are great, the sound over bluetooth is great (DSP Magic?) they are extremly well build which i find very attractive, the carrying is so small. The negative things, maximum loudness isn't enough for classical or older music before the loudness war. This is extreeemly unfortunate. Second, wired they don't sound as good as over bluetooth. Over Bluetooth the soundstage is wider, instrument seperation and transient response is more clear. It's a little bit like listening to mono (wired) vs stereo (bt) if i would be overexaggerating.

Concerning the maximum loudness, i wonder if these would be any louder using an Iphone? Has anyone compared the volume between Android and IOS? It might be worth switching for me, since these will very probably replace my Shure Aonic 50s. Besides that i would suggest using SBC over AAC for Android users. It's well known that the AAC Stack used in many, if not all, Android Phones doesn't measure very good compared to IOS.

Another interesting thing, besides the useless DJ EQs they also offer basic soundprofiles which finetune the sound. There are serveral settings from beginner, to advanced (knowledge of the frequency spectrum) and expert (education in audio engineering). I prefer the sound without any of these but those settings are not bad at all.

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #69 of 75
Yes after listening to them in Bluetooth Mode i was expected to be blown away by their wired performance but the opposite happened. Oh well... Source and amp is a Zen Dac only currently. Or worse, my Motu Audio Interface. Same performance on both.

EDIT: Just listening to them wired again. The only thing that improves is the bass performance. It's not that they sound bad when using a wire like some other BT headphones, they just sound better over BT to my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #70 of 75
After I spend more time with the wired mode, I came to the conclusion that it's a trade off. Using the wire you gain in overall bass performance, mids and treble are better and more refined but nothing I would call substantial. The tuning takes a hit though. Too much lower mids and slightly subdued upper mids vs the factory BT sound. My personal preference is the BT sound even it's not as refined. Other tastes might find the opposite. I still have to say considering everything, build, comfort, sound, portability this a very great headphone at the prices it's currently avaible for. Even compared to purely wired headphones in it's class.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #71 of 75
I wonder if someone could suggest me a closed headphone with similar bass to the JBL Club One, but on a higher tier overall? The Bass on the JBLs is soooo solid, tight and hefty (wired), my DT1990s sound like hot air compared to the bass on the JBLs when both are EQd to the same level. I read that the JBLs have a graphene coating, that would explain the extraordinary bass response. The DT1770 doesn't have quite such a solid base reponse so i'm looking elsewhere. Any suggestions? Not over 500$ :D

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #72 of 75
I wonder if someone could suggest me a closed headphone with similar bass to the JBL Club One, but on a higher tier overall? The Bass on the JBLs is soooo solid, tight and hefty (wired), my DT1990s sound like hot air compared to the bass on the JBLs when both are EQd to the same level. I read that the JBLs have a graphene coating, that would explain the extraordinary bass response. The DT1770 doesn't have quite such a solid base reponse so i'm looking elsewhere. Any suggestions? Not over 500$ :D

Personally I still prefer the M-100 to the JBL. The Club One does have very solid bass that’s fun and still has good structure, yet in the upper mods they have a tendency to sound a bit sharp at times, which was one of my reasons to sell them. The M-100 is smoother there, which is important to me. I use it with an ES100 for Bluetooth connectivity The wireless variants Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex) has a bit more bass to my ears, but still nice.

Otherwise… did you try out the Denon DN7200? Nice bass, not overdone, but a bit large so not perfect for mobile use. Does not even fold, so it’s home use only I’d say.
The Audio Technica WP900 is said to have nice bass as well, though I did not hear that one myself and it’s a bit above your budget.

Some AIAIAI TMA-2 variant with the new S05 drivers and the pleather over-ear pads might fit as well, plus the can be had with a Bluetooth option.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #73 of 75
Thanks for the suggestions plakat, i might look into the AIAIAI TMA-2 variants, i've heard about those for years now but never came around to try one. I wish the original M-100 was still avaible though, never tried that either.

On another point, i have read that you can send headphones to oratory for him to measure them. I might send my Club One to Oratory so we get a nice EQ preset (cabled) for it, because i think this headphone has great potential to begin with. When i experimented a bit with EQ i noticed it seems to have a similar peak to my DT1990, trying to reduce that peak needed a massive -6dB to -7dB just like the DT1990 to make it more in line with my studio speakers concerning harsh highs and sibilance. But it's probably not as wide as the DT1990 peak which basically goes from 5-9khz. The Club One peak could be narrower. I really want measurements of that headphone, guess i became a fanboy :D

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #74 of 75
Interesting read. I'll have to find somewhere to test these out.

A few questions. Do these have auto pause, by that I mean then automatically pause when you take them off and resume when you put them back on again? Also, do the ear cups swivel 90 degrees so that you can hang them around your neck and have the pads lie flat on your chest?

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #75 of 75
Interesting read. I'll have to find somewhere to test these out.

A few questions. Do these have auto pause, by that I mean then automatically pause when you take them off and resume when you put them back on again? Also, do the ear cups swivel 90 degrees so that you can hang them around your neck and have the pads lie flat on your chest?

Thanks.
It’s been a while but as far as I remember they do swivel a fair bit but not lay flat.
Sorry, I don’t remember about auto-pause… of this is a feature, the product page at Pioneer should list it I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back