Jazz...
Sep 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #76 of 95
Sep 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #77 of 95

Some classic Mingus there, Great big performer and personality in 50's - 70's jazz (still underrated in my opinion- quite a composer as well)

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #78 of 95
Quote:

Some classic Mingus there, Great big performer and personality in 50's - 70's jazz (still underrated in my opinion- quite a composer as well)

…ironic trivia…Mingus received his only Grammy Award for the liner notes of this album…not the music…

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #79 of 95
Quote:

…ironic trivia…Mingus received his only Grammy Award for the liner notes of this album…not the music…

Bless him, Its a great album and I think it was his fave too. There are some great Ellington-esque moments and some really nice orchestrations, although some of it does come across as being a little contrived.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #80 of 95
Julian Lage - this guy is an amazing Jazz guitarist. Highly recommend his "Sounding Point" and "Gladwell" albums.

He's the one on the right if you haven't heard of him.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #81 of 95
RIP Mr. Brubeck you provided lots of great content that will be enjoyed for generations to come!

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #82 of 95
My recent discovery. "Bitches Brew" is too different from other Miles Davis' albums and IMO it's Davis' best work.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Acy8Z9jkw[/VIDEO]

"Romantic Warrior" is my all-time favorite. I don't think that I should give any introduction here.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukp2RYHsHBk[/VIDEO]

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #83 of 95
From Bitches Brew on out Miles was a different animal altogether. If you like what hear on the regular version of Bitches Brew, see if you can get your hands on the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions...amazing stuff.

You might also want to find a copy of Get Up With It.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #84 of 95
What about chris botti? i like his stuff,
also i highly recommend miles davis' autobiography, a really good read, pretty much explains what we all hear; his music always keeps changing which what makes him a legend

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #86 of 95
Quote:
also i highly recommend miles davis' autobiography, a really good read, pretty much explains what we all hear; his music always keeps changing which what makes him a legend

+1 on the Miles autobiography!! Highly entertaining - an inside look at his career from a "wet-behind the ears" teenager in NYC all the way through the 1980s. For the jazz fan, the book is hard to put down - it's written like you are just sitting there listening to Miles talk.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #88 of 95
I saw McCoy Tyner years ago and his pianist, Carlos McKinney, was a beast. An acquaintance of mine, Dezron Douglas, is currently gigging with Ravi Coltrane as his bassist - he's come a long way from playing small clubs in  Hartford, Connecticut, so I have to plug him.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #90 of 95
I realize this thread is pretty much one giant recomendations list to begin with, but would anyone care to recommend some tunes to a relative newbie of the jazz genre?

I know I love the classics (Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Dave Brubeck [R.I.P]), but beyond that, the most jazz I've listened to has been from the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks (good stuff if you haven't heard of it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back