Jazz...
Aug 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #62 of 95
Yeah, I really dig Hargrove's "Earfood" - the pianist, Gerald Clayton, is one of my favorite young musicians at the moment!!

I was a happy camper yesterday after a 6 hour listening session :)  I followed up Ninety Miles with another Latin/Afro-Cuban-influenced ablum - Arturo Sandoval's "Dear Diz"

It's Sandoval's tribute album to Dizzy, but the arrangements are all for big band. Sandoval not only delivers with his big band arrangements, but kills it on trumpet. It was my first listen to this album, but I was thoroughly impressed - enjoyed it way more than I anticipated!!! As a side note - I read that Sandoval is the last of the Dizzy disciples :frowning2:

1343878813_336309sandoval-face.jpg

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #63 of 95
Quote:
Pat Metheny's "Unity Band" should sweep album of the year awards.  Any doubts, just listen.  Ben Williams on bass could be the only weak link but I say that very tongue and cheek,  These guys gel amazingly!

…caught this band up at the Newport Jazz Festival a few weekends ago…tight ensemble. Since I'm not much a Metheny fan, I was surprised by how much it engaged me, but then I realized something…that saxist Chris Potter's contribution makes it feel an awful lot like some of the late Michael Brecker's music from the '70s. Got me thinking: I'm all for folks having the opportunity to hear good music in the flesh as long as we call it what it is. Jazz of the '50s and '60s really sounded different from jazz of the '20s, '30s and '40s, so your ears could always kinda tell you where you were on the chronological spectrum. I think it's a bit easier to pass off a lot of jazz that came later as "contemporary" or "now" music, though admittedly, I haven't quite figured out why…

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #64 of 95
…btw, here's one of the best young bands I heard in Rhode Island: drummer Dafnis Prieto's sextet…this sh-t's fi-ya!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/158004992/dafnis-prieto-sextet-live-in-concert-newport-jazz-2012

…and another: The Bad Plus with guitarist Bill Frisell…confession: I almost cried when they played Paul Motian's "It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago"…

http://www.npr.org/event/music/158004697/the-bad-plus-with-bill-frisell-live-in-concert-newport-jazz-2012

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #65 of 95
Quote:
…caught this band up at the Newport Jazz Festival a few weekends ago…tight ensemble. Since I'm not much a Metheny fan, I was surprised by how much it engaged me, but then I realized something…that saxist Chris Potter's contribution makes it feel an awful lot like some of the late Michael Brecker's music from the '70s. Got me thinking: I'm all for folks having the opportunity to hear good music in the flesh as long as we call it what it is. Jazz of the '50s and '60s really sounded different from jazz of the '20s, '30s and '40s, so your ears could always kinda tell you where you were on the chronological spectrum. I think it's a bit easier to pass off a lot of jazz that came later as "contemporary" or "now" music, though admittedly, I haven't quite figured out why…

Chris Potter's Underground - Live at the Village Vanguard. is a killer recording. Chris Potter's playing is so inventive and the band is so tight. It has provided lots of listening enjoyment. Also if you like Christian Scott, Amazon has his new double cd

Christian aTunde Adjuah for mp3 download for 5.00  Lots of good music for a great price.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #66 of 95
Quote:
Chris Potter's Underground - Live at the Village Vanguard. is a killer recording. Chris Potter's playing is so inventive and the band is so tight. It has provided lots of listening enjoyment. Also if you like Christian Scott, Amazon has his new double cd

Christian aTunde Adjuah for mp3 download for 5.00  Lots of good music for a great price.

Well, I'll put it this way…if I have the itch to see a live band and Chris Potter's (or Christian Scott's) group is in town, I'd definitely check 'em out. But when I wanna put on records, I'd be more likely to reach for Joe Henderson or one of the other saxists that Potter is channeling. Joe Henderson made some stunning records, both groovy and post-bop.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #67 of 95
Quote:

Well, I'll put it this way…if I have the itch to see a live band and Chris Potter's (or Christian Scott's) group is in town, I'd definitely check 'em out. But when I wanna put on records, I'd be more likely to reach for Joe Henderson or one of the other saxists that Potter is channeling. Joe Henderson made some stunning records, both groovy and post-bop.

Get the best of both worlds this fall when Chris Potter will be part of a Joe Henderson tribute at Lincoln Center :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #68 of 95
Quote:

Get the best of both worlds this fall when Chris Potter will be part of a Joe Henderson tribute at Lincoln Center :)

That's not far from me... I might have to check that out....

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #69 of 95
For those interested, the new Dave Douglas album "Be Still" will be dropping this fall......including a LP release :)

photo-19-600x600.jpg

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #70 of 95
…a fine double-CD is about to drop…the late, great Sam Rivers with bassist Dave Holland and drummer Barry Altschul

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #71 of 95
One of my all time favorite vocal jazz albums. So relaxing. When I close my eyes I imagine sitting in a dark smokey jazz club, with a glass of whiskey. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #72 of 95
I've been enjoying these two releases over the past week and thought I'd share:

Bromberg's album is a hard driven, swinging album. It sounds like a big band at times as most of the tracks are backed by either a 5-piece horn section or a small orchestra. One of the tracks, "Hayride," is a jazz/bluegrass mix with Bela Fleck featured on banjo. This album is a lot of fun and worth a listen.

41Dz96zAIEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The second album is Michel Camilo's "Spirit of the Moment" - another fun, swinging album, but this time from a piano trio. Most of it's upbeat and has a great foot-tapping rhythm to bounce along to. Dafnis Prieto on drummers is always a treat to listen to.

956597.jpg

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #73 of 95
…interview with Christian Scott, who seems to have changed his name…

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/08/christian_scott_interview.php

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #74 of 95
Thanks for sharing tru blu! I'm going to see Scott in November with the Ninety Miles Project and I'm really excited. Some interesting reading....anyone who thought the racial boundaries were erased with the election of an African-American president should read his frustrations.

I really...really want to see Neil Evans from Soulive create something with Christian Scott!!! Man, that would be a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back