Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Mar 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #211 of 411
At the moment there are two active threads of jazz recommendations - this one (duh!) and one called "On a mission to like jazz" I recently made a few recommendations on the "mission" thread but I don't feel the need to double post but they are worth checking out along with the rest of the thread. Anyway the recommendations I'm referring to are in posts # 331 and 334. Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693212/on-a-mission-to-like-jazz/330#post_10352847

As always, enjoy!

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #212 of 411

I think they are from your neck of the woods.   Had you heard them before?

Never ! When i was playing Jazz music a  few years ago , I was very up-to-date about Jazz Music. Since this period, i've stopped playing music and I became interested in other subjects. I came back to music and especially Jazz only the past two years :wink: . My reference are a bit old (many are still valid ) and I appreciate to discover new musicians. No matter of where they come from :wink:

One thing didn't change, I tend tu prefer contemporary Jazz despite the fact I immensely appreciate Historic Jazz Musicians . What I appreciate in Jazz is its lively and modern nature.

This thread is the right place to be for me 
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #213 of 411

What I appreciate in Jazz is its lively and modern nature.  

Yeah, I also prefer new artist for the same reason.  Also, some of the older recordings are really hard to get into with headphones.

When I want to listen to something like Dave Brubeck (my all-time favorite jazz artist) I have to use speakers.

This thread is the right place to be for me 
beerchug.gif

Then here is another group of talented musicians you might enjoy. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #214 of 411
Jazz is without question my favorite form of music. However, I don't listen to all that many of today's artists. Still, I've been exploring the ACT label's catalog over the past couple of months so here's a video dump for y'all to enjoy.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #215 of 411
I'm on my phone , dont know if you like them but these just pop out of my head

Sophie Milman - Beautiful
Love
Jardin D'hiver - Stacey Kent
Come Closer - Room Eleven
Hour Glass - Michael Franks
If you were a song - Mark Sholtez
Le belle dame sans regret - Christ Botti or Sting , both are superb , Christ more romantic especially suitable for a dinner of 2 , no girl has the heart to say no to a dance to that song even if both dont know how :D
Let there be love - Michael Buble or christ botti - seriously any thing from this guy, Lisa , how love should be , a thousand kisses deep , venice ..just to name a few
Are you the one - Peter Cincotti
Trouble - Rupa And April Fishes
Moon over Bourbon street - Sting many diff ver. try ver. with chris 1st, quite a thrill
If you dont hate Kenny G , Ritmo Y Romance :wink:
STRONGLY recommend , Sentimientos - Andre Linetzky

Submission - Forest of Shadows , please dont ban me =)

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #216 of 411
Since Wadada Leo Smith has not been mentioned as yet in this thread I figure that it's well past the time to give this fabulous musician a shout out.

Here is just a short list of some of the many recordings he has been part of since the turn of century.

2000 Golden Quartet
2001 Dreams & Secrets
2002 The Year of the Elephant (Golden Quartet)
2004 Yo Miles: Sky Garden
2005 Yo Miles: Upriver
2008 Tabligh  (Golden Quartet)
2009 Spiritual Dimensions (Golden Quartet/Wadada Leo Smith's Organic)
2011 Heart's Reflections (Wadada Leo Smith's Organic)
2012 Ten Freedom Summers
2013 Occupy the World (Wadada Leo Smith & Tumo)

And of course a few choice videos of Mr. Smith in action:

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #217 of 411

The Recording is not the greatest I heard IMO but I really like the Music.  
L3000.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #219 of 411
^^welcome Daryll buddy
beerchug.gif

I'm sure this guy will have already been mentioned, but just incase...

Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

Paseo

Supernova

His playing is so spontaneous and lively. Latin Jazz at its best for me. 

Right up with this guy!

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #220 of 411

Discovered today.

I got this album in my computer a few month ago but didn't listen to it. Terrible mistake!
L3000.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #221 of 411
Originally Posted by LugBug1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure this guy will have already been mentioned, but just incase...

Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

His playing is so spontaneous and lively. Latin Jazz at its best for me. 

Yes Gonzalo is a monster.

I got this album in my computer a few month ago but didn't listen to it. Terrible mistake!
L3000.gif

Nguyen Le is a truly original guitar player and totally overlooked and unknown here in the US.

I would also recommend this recording, although pretty much all his recordings are worthwhile.

check out his playing here:

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #222 of 411
I second the Nguyên Lê recommendation. I've been planning to go buy The ACT Jubilee Concert double CD tomorrow because I know one of my local record stores has it, and it features Lê on a couple of tracks along with several other members from the ACT family.

Edit:
Here's a video of him performing live with Cæcilie Norby. He takes a solo halfway into the song.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #223 of 411
Wow !  Nguyen Le , Teri Lyne Carrington , Meshell Ndegeocello , Michel Alibo .... I want it! NOW! 
blink.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #224 of 411
Keiko Matsui , anyone ?

Quality on Youtube  kind of sucks , head to grooveshark for some better output if you like
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Falcon+s+Wing/47ZNkT?src=5

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #225 of 411
Here's a brand new release that's sure to please almost everyone looking for first rate contemporary jazz:

Recommended!

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention that this recording DOES NOT sound anything like a Medeski, Martin & Wood recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back