Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #196 of 411
Despite the USA being the the birthplace of jazz (and continuing to produce jazz musicians) Europe has long been an important source of income for jazz musicians of all nationalities.
Maybe even more important for American than European musicians.

As a "not famous" jazz musician, I myself (an American) was pleasantly surprised how much easier it was for myself to get decent paying gigs while living in Europe than the USA.

Here's a rather old article from the Ny times regarding this situation.
I think you will find the situation very similar today as 1996:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/31/arts/for-us-jazz-players-europe-is-the-place-to-be.html

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #197 of 411
While I understand what you're trying to say, I couldn't disagree with you more. If you think Jazz is a marginalized music now, imagine taking all the Jazz artists based in the U.S out of the picture! IMO, no U.S, no Jazz!....incoming!!!!
wink.gif
. Actually, I own Jazz from all over the planet but....I have to say 90+% of my collection stems from the states. Most of what I see recommended from Europe seems to have that ECM vibe. There was a time, not too long ago, that ECM's catalog was called New Age. I HATE New Age! But hey, that's just me, ECM always did and always will have a huge fan base. End of rant!

I posted a list of my favorite artists a couple of pages back -- most of them are European and not one of them are new age.   They are mostly piano trios  from England, France, Italy and pretty much all over the continent.  Look them up in Spotify...you might like what you hear.  No ECM vibes....

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #198 of 411

I posted a list of my favorite artists a couple of pages back -- most of them are European and not one of them are new age.   They are mostly piano trios  from England, France, Italy and pretty much all over the continent.  Look them up in Spotify...you might like what you hear.  No ECM vibes....

I'm a middle aged American.

The first thing in my mind when someone says European jazz is Derek Bailey and like folks in Company.
About as far as ECM as possible.

The Second thing is ECM
evil_smiley.gif
Unfortunately, many artists suffered at the hands of ECM's efforts to make something ECMed in production style.
Some still do.
They've also produced a lot of interesting recordings and in many ways were quite forward thinking.
Huge imprint on music too I will say....

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #201 of 411
Yeah the US is still home to the best of the best contemporary musicians - Kris Davis, Tom Rainey, Craig Taborn, Ralph Alessi, Drew Gress, Tony Malaby, Tim Berne. I could go on..  

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #202 of 411
I own some ECM's! I'd recommend these to anyone interested in Jazz. I own multiple recordings from Marc Johnson's Bass Desires, Dave Holland's Prime Directive, a few Carla Bleys, Ralph Towner. Old favorites would include Pat Metheny, and Chick Corea's 1st Return To Forever. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Just seems like for every one I get they release

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #204 of 411
Anybody else get the latest from Pat Metheny's Unity Band, "Kin"

Unreal music.  I just love how Pat refuses to stand pat (no pun intennded).  Always thinking forward and pushing the envelope.  Amazing musicianship all the way around.  I personally think Antonio Sanchez is currently the greatest jazz drummer on the planet.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #208 of 411
I just discovered the Remi Panossian Trio on Spotify. 

Every song on their two albums is fantastic.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #209 of 411
  I just discovered the Remi Panossian Trio on Spotify. 

Every song on their two albums is fantastic.

So goood advice ! 
L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #210 of 411

Users who are viewing this thread

Back