Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Mar 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #226 of 411
Thanks Lug..  On the look out for Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #227 of 411
  Thanks Lug..  On the look out for Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

beerchug.gif

he is amazing - i always liked this album ¬

The first track - "Yolanda Anas" is great

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #228 of 411
This excellent topic deserves a bump.

I don't think anyone recommended any Charlie Hunter albums, so...

Bing, Bing, Bing! is the one that hooked me;

MI0000075269.jpg

And these are all terrific, too.

MI0000100028.jpg

MI0002283020.jpg

I took a chance on this, and it really surprised me. It's a reworking of a Bob Marley album, which probably shouldn't work but does...

MI0000128431.jpg

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #229 of 411
Larry Goldings, and Peter Bernstein

Two fantastic musicians that are often recorded in the same trio, with Bill Stewart on drums; Larry Goldings on Hammond Organ, and Peter Bernstein on Guitar.

These are a great place to start.

Sweet Science
MI0000364926.jpg

MI0001808182.jpg

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #235 of 411
None of these are new by any means but certainly from this century.

Mike Moreno:  Great guitarist......check out "Between the Lines" and "Third Wish"....but it seems his more recent releases are getting terrific reviews as well.  This guy makes great music.

Kurt Rosenwinkle:  "The Enemies of Energy"....this might be the first...but a terrific release.  Every song is great.  My favorite from him.

Patricia Barber:  "Cafe Blue"....this has been out a while but just picked it up.  The band is fantastic.  2nd track, Morning Grace....good God....worth the entire price of the entire release.

Antonio Sanchez - Anything....scary how quickly this drummer is becomming such a force in jazz.  greatest drummer on the planet IMHO.

Dave Weckl Acoustic Band - Most regard Dave as a fusion player but this release from 2014(?) is pretty straight ahead.  grreat in every regard and after listening you will agree that Gary Meek is the greatest sax player you never heard of.

Sorry if these have already been mentioned.  
For people looking for jazz that is a bit more fun and accessible but NOT cheesy or smooth.

Brian Bromberg - "You Know That Feeling"   (greatest picollo bass player ever maybe...plays it like a guitar)
Ken Navarro - "The Grace of Summer Light", "Dreaming of Trains"  (nylon string guitar player..I'd call it really forward thinking progressive smooth).  Good stuff.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #236 of 411
Hope to revive this thread to hear some fresh recommendations. Here's 3 of my favs of the moment:

Janek Gwizdala - Motion Picture
EST - Viaticum
Dave Holland Sextet - Pass It On

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #237 of 411
Hope to revive this thread to hear some fresh recommendations. Here's 3 of my favs of the moment:

Janek Gwizdala - Motion Picture
EST - Viaticum
Dave Holland Sextet - Pass It On

Haven`t you heard? Jazz is dead!

Just kidding!!
This thread never seems to maintain momentum. I myself "revived " this thread back in 2014  
beerchug.gif

Despite having gravitated further than ever to classic jazz I`d be very curious to see what folks are into these days......

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #239 of 411
Ya I saw an attempt to revive this thread years back. So that was you. Glad you got deeper into Jazz. I knew little but educated myself couple years ago and has since started to appreciate the different genres within jazz, some sub-genres more than others.

Guess with things like Tidal people can explore without recommendations from threads like this. Still, finding great recordings is hit and miss so I think suggestions would be great. Like someone in a gear thread mentioned in passing The Purity of Turf by Ethan Iverson. Awesome jazz playing and that piano recording is just gorgeous.

Haven`t you heard? Jazz is dead!

Just kidding!!
This thread never seems to maintain momentum. I myself "revived " this thread back in 2014  :beerchug: .

Despite having gravitated further than ever to classic jazz I`d be very curious to see what folks are into these days......

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #240 of 411
Guess with things like Tidal people can explore without recommendations from threads like this. Still, finding great recordings is hit and miss so I think suggestions would be great. Like someone in a gear thread mentioned in passing The Purity of Turf by Ethan Iverson. Awesome jazz playing and that piano recording is just gorgeous.

Some of my highly played jazz albums:

"Rising Grace", Wolfgang Muthspiel, ECM, 2016
"Highway Rider", Brad Mehldau, Nonesuch, 2010. Heard a live revival at SFJAZZ recently, superb.
"Accelerando", Vijay Iyer Trio, ACT, 2012
"Claroscuro", Anat Cohen, ANZIC 2012
"Nightfall", Charlie Haden/John Taylor, Naim, 2004. Especially fine hires recording.
"Break Stuff", Vijay Iyer Trio, ECM, 2015
"Convergence", Warren Wolf, Mack Avenue, 2016
"Destinations Unknown", Alex Sipiagin Sextet, Criss Cross, 2011
"Nuite Blanche", Tarkovsky Quartet/François Couturier, ECM, 2017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back