Jays q-JAYS Reference earphones (2nd generation) Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #31 of 61

Are they brutal on badly recorded stuff? make you not wanna listen to them albums again?

thats one thing i really loved about HD650s they have the magical ability to make anything sound amazing without masking all the detail etc.

'Brutal' is too strong a term, though I used it in the review I posted... But as I said in that review, the issue was how I recorded the sound, not the fault of the Q. When it was re-recorded properly, there was no issue, and the sound is exceptional.

I haven't heard a commercially available recording (CD or HD download) that has been brutal in any way. They are unforgiving and don't mask or smooth out a recording's issues. You hear it as it is... there is truth to how the Q's present the sound.

I agree with your assessment of the HD650's, and the Q's are not them. I love the way the HD650's (and the HD600's) are so rich and warm and inviting. You can forget all that with the Q's... which if I were to compare them to a full-size headphone, I would liken them to the DT-880 Beyer's, but nowhere near as 'piercing'.

The more I listen to them, the more I am impressed by their neutrality and overall sonics.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #33 of 61

please let us know your thoughts when you have had some time with them 
smily_headphones1.gif

To be honest I've tried a few times over the last few days, I don't really like them. I find them quite tinny sounding with any insertion depth and lacking detail, like a hollow sensation across the spectrum ,the low presence of bass only emphasises this more so, especially for a $400 USD earphone. Now the packaging and presentation is impressive, a lot of budget and thought placed there. I don't hear sibilance or any glaring fault which is nice but they're just an everyday IEM to my ears that doesn't outperform or reach its price range in my opinion.

What's sad is I thought this from the beginning, only confirmed further with each listen though have withheld these thoughts sadly fearing any lash back.

I will do a review if I have time, but get these onto the next member. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #34 of 61

To be honest I've tried a few times over the last few days, I don't really like them. I find them quite tinny sounding with any insertion depth and lacking detail, like a hollow sensation across the spectrum ,the low presence of bass only emphasises this more so, especially for a $400 USD earphone. Now the packaging and presentation is impressive, a lot of budget and thought placed there. I don't hear sibilance or any glaring fault which is nice but they're just an everyday IEM to my ears that doesn't outperform or reach its price range in my opinion.

What's sad is I thought this from the beginning, only confirmed further with each listen though have withheld these thoughts sadly fearing any lash back.

thanks quite interetesting , it seems to be a pretty polarizing iem.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 61

This is very interesting to me. What I hear from these is nearly polar opposite from what you describe.
It's unfortunate that you don't hear them as I do. I find them extremely detailed, very neutral, and natural; not tinny or hollow at all.

It's great that these tours can allow so many to test them. I was able to find a very good IEM, and I wish you much better luck on your next go-round.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #36 of 61
Mar 9, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #37 of 61
The Q Jays are here... will report back as soon as I can.
Thanks @DJScope for organising this.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #39 of 61
Awesome :smile: . I'm very interested in your take, given the experience you have.

Listening to Megadeth - Dystopia album right now. Nice for late night, before bed listening. I listen at low volume. Quite neutral, nice extended highs.

I'm not so sure about the sound at high volume. Will report back after a few more sessions.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #41 of 61
: Well, as expected, I find these unlistenable.
I still have a lot of high frequency hearing left, and the 7 to 10k Highs tuning is extremely harsh to my ear. It's not easily removable with eq unless I make the dip very wide and deep . Clip zip q=0.7 f=7700,db=-5 plus auditory fatigue reduction set to high.

Plus I need at least + 5db at 50hz
Much packaging irony about meticulous tuning for no sibilance....

Sure they're small and have nice packaging and are sturdy and fit me will and have deep enough insertion have a nice cable but at this price point I can't see why I would buy this tunning for. get altone 250 (and a bottle of super glue for when the altone shells split )or flc8.
look forward to sending them on....

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #42 of 61
I have decided to opt out of a review on these IEM because I dislike their sound, not that they're terrible just they have a few flaws which don't agree with me.

Its much safer to leave my impressions here as closure.

When it comes to packaging and overall design I believe Q-Jays nailed it, the presentation shines through and I would even consider it slightly overkill but more than welcome for the consumer. From the thickness of the boxing giving premium character to the marketing information provided Q-Jays went all out in this area.

It also shines through in the build of these IEMs, detachable cable and accessories. There are some brilliant marketing photos around online expressing this, even the size of the shells are great keeping things petite reminding me of Brainwavs B2 but a lot more stylish in appearance.

Areas like the fit were a little tricky for me personally as the tips didn't like to seal correctly to my canal and I had some problem guessing which was right and left, for example, if they came fresh out of the case for a listening session I had to fiddle around looking for the correct sides to insert.

Its just when we get to the sound my experience was short lived. I found them suitable at lower volumes, particularly with acoustic tracks or anything non-demanding of some low-end but when I lifted the volume there was a real absence of bass, this then emphasised the treble bringing out quite a tinny metallic to hollow sound. I imagine they'd be perfect for laying down late at night how I remember listening to Brainwavz B2 with some Ane Brun tracks, however, Q-Jays analytical nature doesn't seem to hold complete versatility at higher decibels. 

Its rather genre specific, volume levels depend how Q-jays will present itself which I think is why we have numerous opinions.

By nature, I admire bright sounding earphones, while I don't listen 10/10 heavy I do require a moderate/high volume because I can extract detail from the vocal tracks I adore. In the case of these Q-Jays, I do question if they can maintain the correct signature for example, outdoors on a bus if you need to lift the volume up to compensate ambient noise. And I'll be honest, once these earphones didn't present themselves correctly at a volume I require they virtually sat in the corner. (I don't mean that in an offensive way)

So what we need to keep in mind is:

1. Volumes levels you listen at
  2. Genres you listen too (maybe not suited for EDM listeners, but very much for acoustic and the likes)
  3. Will you be using them full-time on the go
  4. Is excellent packaging important to you
  5. Do you have small ears - the housings are well suited

Thanks Q-Jays for sending them out, regardless of my slightly underwhelming thoughts.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #43 of 61
thanks H20. I'll have to pass on a review for the same reasons as well. I listen at med-high volumes (on the go) and the treble issues are severely accentuated for me as per above.
Likewise, the lack of bass compared to hybrids and or at low volumes mean I have even less to like here.

I know people like put the elevated harsh treble/low bass IEMs into the analytical basket. buuut... I'm tempted to say this is mis-tuning.
I'm having real trouble writing this off as analytical/low volume. They have a remote variation and seem to be marketed as ultra-comfortable portables (looking at the packaging brochure) so arguably portable use is intended and so is mod-high volume use (since outside is always noisy) .

I do also recall similar treble tuning on cheap TWFK variants too...Personally after my share of higher end BAs and good value hybrids I'm finding it more and more difficult to accept 'analytical tuning' as a legitimate tuning in many cases. Especially when time and time again it covers cases where there's no bass instead of correctly tuned bass and treble razors of death highs, instead of correctly tuned highs (which usually means throwing a pair of stock BA drivers and standard in the Knowles or Sonion implementation guide filter into casing X and making it yet another BA IEM). While it's obviously going to sound mean and others may love 'analytical tuning' . I'm struggling to see why you'd accept it after say Noble Savant or Altone 250 or DN2k or FLC8 (and fair enough you can EQ down or up bits on those as well but not nearly as severely as here)
So yes, there goes my opinion on low volume listening and analytical tuning for these ...

sending them on today

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #44 of 61
Hi guys,

My q-JAYS review is up!
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jays-q-jays-v2-0/reviews/15618

So how is the q-JAYS as a "Reference" monitor? In my experience, it's a great pair of reference IEMs when listening at a low volume level. However, I don't think the q-JAYS sound their best when used outdoors or in noisy environments. In these environments, we tend to listen at higher volume levels and this is where the q-JAYS deviate from a well balanced tuning. These IEMS have the tendency to sound bright and harsh when volume is pushed. Choosing the right kind of music can also make a difference in the user experience. I highly recommend ballads, acoustics, vocal-centric genres and alike to fully enjoy what the q-JAYS can offer. Build quality and aesthetics are worth mentioning when describing these IEMs. They truly are the Swedish company's finest achievement so far. I'm looking forward to what JAYS can come up with in their next line. I'm confident that they'll deliver another good, if not better headphones in the years to come.

Special thanks to @DJScope for facilitating this review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back