Jays q-JAYS Reference earphones (2nd generation) Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 61

Today will begin the Australian Jays q-JAYS tour. 

Participants in order:

Rules for this tour are quite simple:

1. You'll get 7-10 days to evaluate them.
  2. Once you receive the parcel you will get in touch with the next tour member in line to organise shipment.
    1. Full name, contact number & address is required. (for security sake, no PO Boxes please, but you can use your work address for convenience).
    2. As well as you will need to notify in this thread that you have receive the package.
  3. Please try your best to write the review within the 10 days. All reviews to be posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/jays-q-jays-v2-0
  4. Postage used must be registered; only tracking required. If you are posting the package later than the 10 days, then you will need to use express post.
  5. Whilst not compulsory, first impressions will be very welcomed here in this thread.
  6. Most importantly, have lost of fun!

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 61

Today will begin the Australian Jays q-JAYS tour. 

Participants in order:

@n05ey
@H20Fidelity
@angelo898
@d marc0
@svyr
@audionewbi
@NeObliviscaris
@Wyd4
@Loquah

Rules for this tour are quite simple:

1. You'll get 7-10 days to evaluate them.
  2. Once you receive the parcel you will get in touch with the next tour member in line to organise shipment.
    1. Full name, contact number & address is required. (for security sake, no PO Boxes please, but you can use your work address for convenience).
    2. As well as you will need to notify in this thread that you have receive the package.
  3. Please try your best to write the review within the 10 days. All reviews to be posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/jays-q-jays-v2-0
  4. Postage used must be registered; only tracking required. If you are posting the package later than the 10 days, then you will need to use express post.
  5. Whilst not compulsory, first impressions will be very welcomed here in this thread.
  6. Most importantly, have lost of fun!

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Updated to include rules.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 61
So, time for some initial impressions...

These things are a lovely little package. I love the design, the cable, the case, the minimalist aesthetic. The presentation is wonderful, maybe a little too stripped back, I imagine if I had outlayed that cash I would look at them and they don't have that obvious impressions, however I imagine the customer sought would be wearing all black anyway so it probably isn't a issue...

Getting to the sound... I guess my first impression is that these sound VIVID. To me it is a little like looking at an hdr image as opposed to standard. I am trying to work out whether I really enjoy it or whether it is too much, I am not sure at this stage whether I will miss this sound or have a sense of relief when I go back.

Whatever the end,I am thoroughly enjoying the experience

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 61
It is a hard signature to bounce back and forward from as I find it makes other headphones sound a little bland until you really settle back into the sound. Like moving back from a superamoled screen to a lcd

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 61
So, time for some initial impressions...

These things are a lovely little package. I love the design, the cable, the case, the minimalist aesthetic. The presentation is wonderful, maybe a little too stripped back, I imagine if I had outlayed that cash I would look at them and they don't have that obvious impressions, however I imagine the customer sought would be wearing all black anyway so it probably isn't a issue...

Getting to the sound... I guess my first impression is that these sound VIVID. To me it is a little like looking at an hdr image as opposed to standard. I am trying to work out whether I really enjoy it or whether it is too much, I am not sure at this stage whether I will miss this sound or have a sense of relief when I go back.

Whatever the end,I am thoroughly enjoying the experience

Thanks for the impressions! I'm glad you're enjoying them. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 61
I have mine for past 6 months and they are technically capable, but I always had small problems with their tunning. But last week I finally got 91 ohm impedance adapter and it's definitely really positive change to their sound.

Using them with fiio x3mkII and Fiio E12A.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 28, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 61
I have mine for past 6 months and they are technically capable, but I always had small problems with their tunning. But last week I finally got 91 ohm impedance adapter and it's definitely really positive change to their sound.

Using them with fiio x3mkII and Fiio E12A.

It does help somewhat, I would agree. I used them with the Stoner Acoustic UD120 which has a high output impedance, 470 Ohm to be precise. Helps to flatten out some of the harshness in the low to mid treble.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 61
Let me get things rolling: 

I have bought this almost the week they came out. You might wonder why I did not talk about them despite owning them for a while. Well truth is I use them for commuting purpose and I never truly sat down with them to do a proper listen. Maybe particular it might have to do with my false initial impression I had regarding the cable which was completely false. I thought perhaps the cable will not be durable as it feels way too 'cheap', what was that saying, 'Dont judge a cable by its cover?'

If I was to rank my IEM based on how they scale when they are paired with various amp/dac the Qjays will score a perfect 10/10. They scale up rather significantly. Going from something like xDuoo X3 which I use with qjays as my daily communing match which I am well aware of its sound and going to the chord hugo and qjays pairing the improvement is very noticeable. You might ask what are those improvement, the easy answer is across all things sound related; increase in soundstage both depth and width, firmer bass, improvement in midrange detail and better treble extension. 

To me the QJAYS are a natural upgrade for those who enjoy the ER4P. What QJAYS does is improve across all aspect of ER4 series without having any peaks in the upper frequency range. Texering, and instrument placement for a dual balance armature is considerably better than the IM04. In terms of coherency this is as good as a single driver design. I might perhaps like to have a bit more airy sound, it might not be as airy as the F111 but the rest of the sound it leaves the F111 in dust.

Isolation is well with the right tips. I had problem with all the stock tip and the comply tips I bought from QJAYS. I thankfully saw the post made by ClieOS which suggest Shure olive and yes he was right. At least for me the improvement in terms of comfort, isolation and bass quantity is noticeable.

Now the down side is that you wouldnt get the best of the qjays from your ipod touch, not fro your current sony DAPS, you really need a beefy amp and it will make this thing sing. I paired it with monolith sound potion and it result were favourable. Paired with chord mojo and you are in heaven. Chord HUGO gives a better soundstage but mojo provides a warmer sound which happens to work really well with QJAYS.

Summary: What I hope for qjays to release an aftermarket 2.5mm TRRS cable. I love to pair this with Venturecraft Valoq. Would I recommend this at their retail price, hell yes! And no I did not get a free sample I bought this and put it for test for well over a month. Lets just put it this way currently right now I turned off my Shure KSE1500 to listen to qjays paired with Chord Mojo. If you are seeking for a IEM that is has a neutral sound with a great respond in scaling to perform better than its stock setting look no further. I consider this better than the current Audio technica flagship IM04, a clear maturity over the Etymotic ER4 lineout. Perhaps the ER4S might come across as having more treble resolution but I sense that is to do with the tuning than actual treble extension.

I will try to add more later on source pairing and I am happy to answer any question members might have. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 61
  Let me get things rolling: 

I have bought this almost the week they came out. You might wonder why I did not talk about them despite owning them for a while. Well truth is I use them for commuting purpose and I never truly sat down with them to do a proper listen. Maybe particular it might have to do with my false initial impression I had regarding the cable which was completely false. I thought perhaps the cable will not be durable as it feels way too 'cheap', what was that saying, 'Dont judge a cable by its cover?'

If I was to rank my IEM based on how they scale when they are paired with various amp/dac the Qjays will score a perfect 10/10. They scale up rather significantly. Going from something like xDuoo X3 which I use with qjays as my daily communing match which I am well aware of its sound and going to the chord hugo and qjays pairing the improvement is very noticeable. You might ask what are those improvement, the easy answer is across all things sound related; increase in soundstage both depth and width, firmer bass, improvement in midrange detail and better treble extension. 

To me the QJAYS are a natural upgrade for those who enjoy the ER4P. What QJAYS does is improve across all aspect of ER4 series without having any peaks in the upper frequency range. Texering, and instrument placement for a dual balance armature is considerably better than the IM04. In terms of coherency this is as good as a single driver design. I might perhaps like to have a bit more airy sound, it might not be as airy as the F111 but the rest of the sound it leaves the F111 in dust.

Isolation is well with the right tips. I had problem with all the stock tip and the comply tips I bought from QJAYS. I thankfully saw the post made by ClieOS which suggest Shure olive and yes he was right. At least for me the improvement in terms of comfort, isolation and bass quantity is noticeable.

Now the down side is that you wouldnt get the best of the qjays from your ipod touch, not fro your current sony DAPS, you really need a beefy amp and it will make this thing sing. I paired it with monolith sound potion and it result were favourable. Paired with chord mojo and you are in heaven. Chord HUGO gives a better soundstage but mojo provides a warmer sound which happens to work really well with QJAYS.

Summary: What I hope for qjays to release an aftermarket 2.5mm TRRS cable. I love to pair this with Venturecraft Valoq. Would I recommend this at their retail price, hell yes! And no I did not get a free sample I bought this and put it for test for well over a month. Lets just put it this way currently right now I turned off my Shure KSE1500 to listen to qjays paired with Chord Mojo. If you are seeking for a IEM that is has a neutral sound with a great respond in scaling to perform better than its stock setting look no further. I consider this better than the current Audio technica flagship IM04, a clear maturity over the Etymotic ER4 lineout. Perhaps the ER4S might come across as having more treble resolution but I sense that is to do with the tuning than actual treble extension.

I will try to add more later on source pairing and I am happy to answer any question members might have. 

Sorry I didn't see this till now. I've been uber busy with work. I completely agree with you. I think that scaling is an inherit advantage of good BA drivers. They soak up everything and translate that into detailed sound, and will reveal what your gear puts out. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 61
It is a hard signature to bounce back and forward from as I find it makes other headphones sound a little bland until you really settle back into the sound. Like moving back from a superamoled screen to a lcd

Hey @n05ey, how are you going with the QJAYs? 

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 61
Sorry for the silence, it has been a crazy couple of weeks. The unit was posted to @H20Fidelity on Friday so should be there next week. 

I gotta say I enjoyed the time with the Jays, they are a really great package. However, I am still wrapping my head around it. It was in the end a little too hyper for me. I am wondering whether I wasn't ever really able to get a great seal with the tips... not that they lacked bass, but that it didn't sound like the balanced set others have described. 

I can't wait to read other reviews from the tour and I will try to get mine posted real soon :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back