Japan earthquake and tsunami!
Mar 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #46 of 279

Quote:
That nuclear power plant...I hope they don't have a meltdown.

According to experts even if there was a meltdown it wouldn't be a major disaster. These boiling water reactors are far safer apparently.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #47 of 279
Japanese officials now say that the number one reactor that exploded had demolished the reactor turbine building but the steel casing that houses the reactor is still intact. They recorded a slight decrease in the release of radioactive vapors from that reactor.There's another reactor emergency at the same powerplant as reactor number three has also lost it's emergency cooling system. They are currently trying to supply additional water to keep that reactor cool in order to avoid another reactor explosion.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and Japanese authorities assigned to this emergency currently assigned this accident a level 4 on the international INES scale the runs form level 1 (anomaly) to level 7 (major accident).

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #48 of 279
Japan's earthquake scale, which goes up to 7, is based on how much the ground moves at any particular point.  

Minami Sanriku has indeed been flattened by the tsunami, with 10,000 people unaccounted for in the town.  Have a look at this footage:

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #49 of 279
Total devastion, the entire area is under water. It was said that the tsunamis that rolled ashore measured 23 feet high and rolled as far as 6 miles inland in some areas.

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #51 of 279
Quote:
2 reactors now to contend with. When fail safe fails one takes desperate measures. And pumping seawater is a desperate measure, according to experts.

wuwhere,  You got that right! Start the pumps!  I just hope all the news about this disaster is the Honest "TRUTH", I can only pray for the families or people without families, safety and well being.....I wonder If China or any other countries are coming to their aid or is it just the good old USA again????

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #53 of 279

Quote:
Japan's earthquake scale, which goes up to 7, is based on how much the ground moves at any particular point.  

Minami Sanriku has indeed been flattened by the tsunami, with 10,000 people unaccounted for in the town.  Have a look at this footage:

This just makes one reevaluate ones own problems. Which now seem petty and insignificant.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #55 of 279
chile, new zealand, now japan. anyone notice a pattern. australia, asia, and south america have been hit with earthquakes. for all those including me on teh west coast of north america. we are next. be very cautious mostly those who live in california as they are threatened the most. i wouldn't be surprised if we have a large earthquake to.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #56 of 279

Quote:
Quote:

wuwhere,  You got that right! Start the pumps!  I just hope all the news about this disaster is the Honest "TRUTH", I can only pray for the families or people without families, safety and well being.....I wonder If China or any other countries are coming to their aid or is it just the good old USA again????

Those Japanese inside the reactors who are trying to prevent a meltdown are heroes.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #57 of 279
My heart and prayers go out for the Japanese people in their time of sorrow and tragedy.
I wish I could do something to help.
I certainly will donate to the Red Cross.
Hope our fellow Japanese headfiers are OK.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #58 of 279

Quote:
Quote:

China has come to Japan's aid according to this article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/12/AR2011031205170.html

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #59 of 279
Amen, Spkeaking of donating It is high time to support Greenpeace and all others who are for decades trying to raise awarness of the wrongness of nueclear energy.

Quote:
My heart and prayers go out for the Japanese people in their time of sorrow and tragedy.
I wish I could do something to help.
I certainly will donate to the Red Cross.
Hope our fellow Japanese headfiers are OK.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #60 of 279
It's likely that the reactors will be damaged internally, which means they'll be written off.  Since they are actually cooling them and releasing the pressure (which, annoyingly, contains hydrogen, hence the explosion) it is unlikely there will be a core breach.  For that to happen, a hell of a lot has to go wrong.  It is still a very bad situation -- imagine your car ran at 1000 degrees and you suddenly switched the engine off and dumped a lot of the coolant, leaving the rest to start boiling around the cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back