J.K. Rowling left out one detail in her Harry Potter books...
Oct 21, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #46 of 78
Actually, the religious right already thinks Harry Potter books are Satanic and evil, as they discuss magic and sorcery. Someone should tell them it's just fantasy, a book, a story.
rolleyes.gif
This revelation will just give them more reason to hate Potter books. Bear in mind, these are the same people who want Halloween banned because it's Satanic to have little girls dressed up like witches and celebrates the occult and stuff. They can't see it's just about candy and dressing up for fun. It's pathetic, but some of us are still stuck in the 13th century it seems.

Quote:

my point is a lot of parents wouldnt condone the fact that they have to read or have read a character who is gay, explaining that to the child at a young age. simple fact, why bring it into a fantastical adventure story.

theres plenty of other outlets in the modern world for those of you who wish to seek out and have gay charcters in your fiction.

Shhhh.. best not read Huck Finn to your kids, wouldn't want them to know there are black people out there, either.
orphsmile.gif

Your kids are going to encounter gay people in their lives, you can't keep it secret. Besides, if you have an internet connection in your house, your kids have already seen more sex acts than you can possibly imagine.
eek.gif
They already know what "gay" is, even if that makes you uncomfortable.

Besides, until this announcement, no one even knew Dumbledore was supposed to be gay. It was "don't ask, don't tell", so you needn't worry about your kids being somehow "contaminated" by the gay-wizard agenda if they read the book.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the religious right already thinks Harry Potter books are Satanic and evil, as they discuss magic and sorcery. Someone should tell them it's just fantasy, a book, a story.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, but they get very serious over their own fantasy, book, stories as well
wink.gif

And I agree: nobody would've even suggested Dumbledore to be gay before she announced, and now suddenly the gayness of the character in the book is a problem?

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #48 of 78
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
This revelation will just give them more reason to hate Potter books. Bear in mind, these are the same people who want Halloween banned because it's Satanic to have little girls dressed up like witches and celebrates the occult and stuff. They can't see it's just about candy and dressing up for fun. It's pathetic, but some of us are still stuck in the 13th century it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but they get very serious over their own fantasy, book, stories as well
wink.gif

Hey now, that kind of talk is going to get this thread locked.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #49 of 78
What is J.K. doing to us? We already know that Hermione is a Gingerphile. Now we learn that Dumbledore is gay. What's next? Oh the horror.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me throw in a juxtaposition for those who are reading this thread on head-fi though.

What would it mean to any of you if I was forward with the fact that I am gay?

Not a thing, though it would explain your Jecklin Float fetish.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marados /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd congratulate you on the fact that you have the courage to exclaim you're gay in the homophobic society of today.

Aside from that, nothing at all.

Ditto.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Shhhh.. best not read Huck Finn to your kids, wouldn't want them to know there are black people out there, either.
orphsmile.gif

Your kids are going to encounter gay people in their lives, you can't keep it secret. Besides, if you have an internet connection in your house, your kids have already seen more sex acts than you can possibly imagine.
eek.gif
They already know what "gay" is, even if that makes you uncomfortable.

Besides, until this announcement, no one even knew Dumbledore was supposed to be gay. It was "don't ask, don't tell", so you needn't worry about your kids being somehow "contaminated" by the gay-wizard agenda if they read the book.
wink.gif

perhaps if you didnt assume so much and post as if you think you know me and how i live my life that would be great start.

and might i also add it may help if you read all my comments concerning this rather than selectively picking posts.

at no stage have i said that this 'gay' thing is my sole opinion/take on the matter, i was simply stating that i, cynically thought the reason she (j.k rowling) perhaps omitted to mention it before/during the sucess of the stories initially, was that she may have felt that it would have reduced or impinged on the wholesome family target market, parents reading to their young child at bedtime for example, and indeed we cannot guess at the publishers/movie houses wishes to include/exclude this in the proceedings.

i can see how some parents may even welcome that subtle inflection and use it to explore the birds and the bees and explaining to their child/ren about gay and relationships and sexuality, equally so there are those that would rather it didnt enter into their childrens books in that manner.

i am not religious one iota...never been to church, i do not believe in god or any holy diety/being you wish to mention.

i am moral, traditional. old fashioned. not religious.

if you are intimating i am of the same breed of people who want halloween banned, you couldnt have been further from the truth.

i lump those people in as new fangled politically correct lot, who wish to change everything that has been tradition and enjoyed for many years so as to not cause the slightest bit of offence to the minority of those who it may offend, but wouldnt really.

PC is the scurge of the world.

and to finish, i agree with you about the "dont ask dont tell", i made that quite clear a couple of posts back.

here endeth my posting in this particular thread, for it seems i cant express my self eloquently enough to do my opinion justice on this topic.
blink.gif

p.s. get to know me first before you talk to me about "black people"
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

if you are intimating i am of the same breed of people who want halloween banned, you couldnt have been further from the truth.

No, first part of my post was not related to my reply to your specific comment I quoted.

Quote:

i lump those people in as new fangled politically correct lot, who wish to change everything that has been tradition and enjoyed for many years so as to not cause the slightest bit of offence to the minority of those who it may offend, but wouldnt really.

No, it's the religious reactyionary right (not the PC left) that wants Halloween banned. Not because it *might* offend someone else, but because (amazingly) it offends them. They apparently think witchcraft and magic are real and that dressing up for and celebrating Halloween is anti-Christian and the work of Satan. It's absurd, but true!

Quote:

perhaps if you didnt assume so much and post as if you think you know me and how i live my life that would be great start.

Only know you by your posts and what you write, thanks for the clarification. Cheers.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

They apparently think witchcraft and magic are real...

Well, that's sort of the thing about religion though. You have to believe in the supernatural, it's kind of a definitional prerequisite. (Some non-theistic Eastern belief systems excluded, of course.)

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

No, it's the religious reactyionary right (not the PC left) that wants Halloween banned. Not because it *might* offend someone else, but because (amazingly) it offends them. They apparently think witchcraft and magic are real and that dressing up for and celebrating Halloween is anti-Christian and the work of Satan. It's absurd, but true!

It's true. There are so many people at my church that are like this that we don't even hold our halloween festival any more, because a lot of the higher ups and money controllers make a big fuss about it.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #60 of 78
I happened to notice the headline on Connexion but didn't really think it was anything but some random person's musing. Really I couldn't care less but I had to wonder how some people would react to a fictional character's outting.

And for those that complained that parents should not have to explain that to their kids who might inquire about it, I have to say tough luck. Gay people are a normal part of society and your kids will encounter us throughout their lives, mostly without knowing about that fact of them, just as their parents have. For most of us, being gay is just another part of who we are, not the single defining factor. Like for me. The fact that I'm a big geek tends to be the thing most people who meet me notice
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back