J.K. Rowling left out one detail in her Harry Potter books...
Oct 20, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly, the very reason she didnt and shouldnt bring it into young childrens (and me)'s books

she would loose a lot of sales.

would affect the squeaky clean for all the family reputation.

Oh yes, because the angst, horror, stress, lying, violence and death that the books are already filled with doesn't do anything that making a character gay does.

Please.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 78
However, I don't think Dumbledore's gay tendencies lasted for long. The death of Albus' sister Ariana caused a rift between him and Gellert Grindelwald, which resulted in that famous duel in 1945.

Out of fear of that unfortunate past being revealed, Dumbledore always turned down the post of Minister of Magic, preferring the safety of being Headmaster at Hogwarts. It should be noted that the relationship between Dumbledore and Harry Potter is more a "normal" father-son relationship, which tells me Dumbledore is wanting to live down that past.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats pretty tasteless. Just because the guy is gay doesnt make him a pedophile.

Good way to quote me and omitting the obvious '
wink.gif
' smiley... You removed it on purpose, since you left the period... I was just making a joke, lighten up!

On a serious note: I really couldn't care less about the gayness of the Dumbledore character.

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 78
I suggest that they make a ***** based on the HP movies and call it Harry Penis.

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest that they make a ***** based on the HP movies and call it Harry Penis.

I prefer Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Bone.

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, because the angst, horror, stress, lying, violence and death that the books are already filled with doesn't do anything that making a character gay does.

Please.
rolleyes.gif

get with it!

my point is a lot of parents wouldnt condone the fact that they have to read or have read a character who is gay, explaining that to the child at a young age. simple fact, why bring it into a fantastical adventure story.

theres plenty of other outlets in the modern world for those of you who wish to seek out and have gay charcters in your fiction.

i hardly think childrens books are the way to go!!

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 78
My kids knew what "gay" was long before they could read Harry Potter.

I explain a lot of stuff to my kids. It's called parenting. I'm constantly amazed how few people in the world seem to do that anymore.

/not directed at anyone in particular

GAD

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Bone.

LOL

Anyways, I didn't realize he was gay but if I didn't realize that while reading the books, then he is not, or rather the fact that the author intended him to be gay is completely irrelevant to me. But seriously, who cares.

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 78
I'm not a Harry Potter fan at all [like Tolkien who took three pages to explain that Hobbits are short, Rowling can take as much ink to explain why such-and-such a girl is upset] but I have long wondered, because their hair looks much alike in the first movie, if Hermione is Hagrid's love child.

Laz

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get with it!

my point is a lot of parents wouldnt condone the fact that they have to read or have read a character who is gay, explaining that to the child at a young age. simple fact, why bring it into a fantastical adventure story.

theres plenty of other outlets in the modern world for those of you who wish to seek out and have gay charcters in your fiction.

i hardly think childrens books are the way to go!!

Yes, because it would be just awful if kids learned that boys didn't always just like girls, or vice-versa.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many people think that it's so inappropriate to expose children to the concept of same-sex relationships. It's not like were talking about graphic descriptions of gay sex here! Lord knows heterosexual relationships are the subject of plenty of children's literature and movies; why would including a gay love story from time to time be so bad?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My kids knew what "gay" was long before they could read Harry Potter.

I explain a lot of stuff to my kids. It's called parenting. I'm constantly amazed how few people in the world seem to do that anymore.

/not directed at anyone in particular

GAD

Right on!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back