I've got so far trying to work out the best set up for music on the go, and now i'm stuck!
Jan 18, 2011 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nickharambee

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Though I have benefitted from the conversations I have come across on Head-Fi forums a number of times (a very valuable resource), this is the first time I have started a thread.

My situation is that I am looking for a great music listening setup for on the go, with lossless files on my iPhone.  I should say at this point that my ears aren't the best (some hearing loss/tinnitus) so this should be factored in to anything I say (our ears being perhaps the most important bit of hardware in any hi-fi setup!).

I have owned a couple of hi-end Shure IEMs (E5c and SE-530) and enjoyed them a lot, but managed to trample one pair and lose the other (ouch).  Perhaps for this reason I am now looking at bigger headphones, i.e. full size, but with a nod to portability.  It seems to me that there was less pressure on my ears with IEMs though, and as I need to be particularly careful with my ears, perhaps I should be persisting with IEMs (do others find more pressure with over the ear headphones?)

I am looking for something solely for the road, as I prefer listening through speakers at home, so sound isolation is an important factor.  Of late I have been looking at full size headphones, for the reasons mentioned above, and my initial searches around the internet narrowed it down to Sennheiser HD-25 II, B&W P5 and Shure SRH-840.

I bought the Sennheiser HD-25 II and burned in for 100 hours.  Good sound isolation, but I found them generally too harsh, with not as much warmth/musicality as I would like (sorry my knowledge of the technical language needed to convey the experience is limited).

Then I demoed the B&W P5's in a store and found them to have better warmth/musicality, but to be generally a bit dull and underwhelming (and, for the money, I don't want to be underwhelmed!)

So now I am thinking of getting hold of the Shure SRH-840s, and wonder what I can expect relative to the other two headphones I have tried to date.

In trying to work out the best set up I now realise that I need to get a Line Out Cable, instead of using the headphone jack on the iPhone (the i-Basso one seems good quality, or perhaps one of the Qables iPod cables).  Then I imagine that a portable headphone amp would improve matters, though this would of course depend on the combination of headphone and amp, and I am in the dark here.  Size would be significant, so perhaps I would lean towards the i-Basso T3/4, but I would also consider the Pico Slim if it was worth it, or bigger portables such as the iQube or i-Basso D10/12 if there was good reason.

So, would others recommend I get the Shure SRH-840 and if so, which amp should I go for?  Or are there other headphones with decent sound isolation that I should look at?  Perhaps the B&W P5's would come to life with a LOC and suitable amp?

In terms of my music tastes, they are very eclectic, from reggae to folk to repetitive beats to rock, so an all round set up would be the order to the day.

Thanks in advance for any helping me on my way,

Nick

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 5
In my journey for portable sound, I've now tried ESW9, Beyer T50, TMA1 and tomorrow my P5's will arrive

If I read this, and you find HD-25 (I've auditioned them) too harsch, maybe ESW9's or ESW10's could be a very good choice for you. ESW9 is available at the FS section at this moment.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 5
oh, using the LOD in stead of the headphone jack from the iphone/ipod always makes a noticable difference:) 

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks. I'd be Interested to hear what you make of the P5's.

Can anyone advise as to the differences between the ESW9/10s and the Shure SRH840's in terms of sound and sound isolation?

Also any suggestions as to headphone amp with either of these models? Or anyone tried using a headphone amp with the P5's

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 5

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531105/ic-b-w-p5-vs-beyer-t50p-vs-senn-hd25-1-shootout/15#post_7213316 

Just received the p5's, wrote my first impressions there. It's not much, but it's something. Also read Duncan's thoughts in that thread:)

About the portable amps, all of the mentioned headphones benefit from amping. Which one depends on how much you want to spend, frankly.

Quote:
Thanks. I'd be Interested to hear what you make of the P5's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back