I've been robbed
Aug 18, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #61 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Hey, congrats on getting your stuff back.

Speaking of which, would you suggest everyone take a picture of their stuff next to their drivers' license in case they get burgled? Or, what else would help in providing proof to the insurance company?

That would be of no use to me... If I were to have anything stolen, it'd probably be my laptop.
mad.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #62 of 67
I know how you feel. I've been to the same thing before and it is the most annoying thing ever. I hope you get over it soon!

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Hey, congrats on getting your stuff back.

Speaking of which, would you suggest everyone take a picture of their stuff next to their drivers' license in case they get burgled? Or, what else would help in providing proof to the insurance company?

Great to hear this worked out, and hope no trouble comes of it in the future..daba, this seems like a good idea..actually, may be doing this myself.

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Great to hear this worked out, and hope no trouble comes of it in the future..daba, this seems like a good idea..actually, may be doing this myself.

I agree, I will do the same. I've actually heard of collectors with large record collections videotaping every record out of its sleve and zooming in on the lables to prove which record and which pressing they had.

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #66 of 67
Got the check from my insurance company yesterday - very satisfied with the result. With my losses, it would have cost just under $5K to replace everything, buying new. The check amount wasn't based on replacement costs; it was based on the depreciated "actual cash value". The amount is less, but I can do whatever I want with the money (don't have to replace all items). This is preferrable to me since I've been downsizing my collections anyways. Overall, including the effect of the deductible, I received close to %80 of the total replacement costs. The claim process was a bit of a hassle but well worth the effort. I can't recommend renter's (or home owner's) insurance highly enough.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and sympathy, guys! I'm doin' great again
biggrin.gif

Quote:

On the bright side, they left your Joseph Grado's alone! Probably thought they were some "70's junk"!

I didn't own the HP2 at the time of the break-in. I did own the RS1, which they moved aside and ignored, along with the L3000 and a 2nd W2002
tongue.gif

Quote:

I sent in the photos and I'm glad I took them, though I'm not sure how effective they would have been as the only proof of posession. The insurance company still requested boxes and manuals for all the electronics items. Fortunately I had the box for the w2002 (not manual) and manual/papers for the ha2002 (but not box). Had boxes for the ipod and camera, too. DVDs all I had was the pictures of my racks - no receipts (but a long history of purchases from BestBuy, Media Play, and internet stores on my CC
tongue.gif
). Some of the titles could barely be made out (if at all), I probably should have taken more close-up pics, but it worked out in the end.

Quote:

-the thief could be in the building itself, so don't advertize your new replacement purchases; instead advertize your security system even if you do not have one.
-A simple beeper alerting every time the door opens; stickers in all the windows and directly on the front door.
-A gate by the fire escape window.
-Timer (random) operated lights.
-Make it seem like you are home during the day.
-Get a safe.
-Change the front door's deadbolt to one that has a restricted key system (Medeco, Kaba; not Schlage!)

Yes, they caught the bastards (2 teenage males) and they did live in my complex. The family was evicted as soon as this came to light. I've made a few more friends in the complex, and met some girls who knew which apartment unit the burglars came from. Apparently it was a single mom working 2 jobs and rasing 3 teenage kids
rolleyes.gif
The kiddies' trial is in September at a Juvenial Court, and I'm thinking I'll go. I wonder if I could ask them what they did with the w2002/ha2002
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #67 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Got the check from my insurance company yesterday.
The amount is less, but [size=small]I can do whatever I want with the money [/size](don't have to replace all items).

He's waiting for your phone call...
wink.gif

http://www.vspa.com/k9/images/SP_Super_Dog.jpg

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back