I've been robbed
Mar 25, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 67
Aww... Sorry to hear about this sad news, mulveling.
frown.gif
Best of luck recovering the Woodies!

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #17 of 67
Man, that sucks.
I know exactly what you're going through, the same thing happened to me just before Christmas, they got away with £13,000 worth of stuff. What I wouldn't give to catch those idiots.

Really sorry to hear your news, hopefully insurance will make it easy for you.
Unfortunately for me, although insurance was good, they took a video camera that still had the tape in, had recordings of my family who live 6,000 miles away. You can get the money for the tape, but they can't put a price on sentimentality.

Hope everything gets sorted out swiftly.
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #18 of 67
Sorry to hear the bad news. No way around it, it sucks. Thank goodness you had insurance, but most likely you will need to supply your insurance company with proof of ownership such as the receipts. I suppose you are going to have your window fixed ASAP, if you haven’t already. You may be unable to move as quickly as you like so I’ve a few suggestions that should help protect yourself and property against another break-in.

I would tint the windows that you believe would provide easy access to your apartment. The tint will make it difficult to determine whether somebody is actually home and tinted windows are not as easy to break. I believe Home Depot sells tint so you can do-it-yourself. I would use blinds or curtains to obstruct the view as well. When you aren’t home, I would leave the lights on and either the television on some news channel or talk radio. And also buy some home security system stickers to affix to the outside corners of your windows as another deterrent. I think that should reduce the likelihood of this happening again.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #19 of 67
look out for ebay as well. what some one did when their powerbook got stolen was post it on ebay before thief or anyone else got the chance to. they said not to buy the powerbook with xxx serial number and provided pictures.

sorry about what's happend, though.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 67
Sorry to hear this. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Still, just for the record: How's robbery defined over there? Over here, robbery is the heavy form of theft, involving being threatened by the robber in order to hand over what's to be robbed - otherwise it's just theft.

I think you are correct. Technically, I believe mulveling has been "burglarized" because he was not at home at the time of the theft.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #22 of 67
I'm very sorry to hear the happening mulvelling..
at least I'm happy they didn't mess up way too much your apartment and did not damage other things , and you have insurance .. and you're well

Quote:

- my spare set of L3000 drivers

what the hell did they imagine when grabbing up the spare set of l3000 drivers...
can't imagine why did they picked em up ..

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #23 of 67
They took the W2002s and not the L3000s? Stealing audio gear is the worst crime you can commit. You should dust for fingerprints then track down those punks and pop a cap in their ass
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
They took the W2002s and not the L3000s? Stealing audio gear is the worst crime you can commit. You should dust for fingerprints then track down those punks and pop a cap in their ass
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how it is in GA, but in Boston, the police wouldn't really care. A friend had his entire camera gear stolen, over $10,000. Still the police was like, "Sorry about that, we'll do our best" and have not heard from them since. Fortunately, he had insurance too.

I'll keep a look out for you on ebay and craigslist.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 67
Damn man, that really sucks
frown.gif
You didn't happen to see a random Russian guy near your place did you?

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 67
Thanks for the condolences, guys!

Yep, technically I was burglarized, not robbed - never really tought about the difference before.

I talked to the apartment leasing office and I am moving ASAP to an apartment in the same complex - but this time on the 2nd or 3rd floor. There have been 2 other incidents like this, both with ground-level apartments facing the woods in the back (like mine). In both other incidents they also left the most valuable stuff untouched - studio recording equipment and guitars, etc. Went for video game stuff, DVDs instead. However, this is the first time they actually broke in, as all my windows & doors were locked, and all my blinds were shut so they couldn't see inside.

I'll try to get the moving started Monday - I think I can hold down the fort until then. Maintanence boarded up the window last night and they're bringing in a replacement window today. Guess I should start packing...

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 67
Sorry to hear about your burglary. It happened to me several years ago before I was married. Fortunately, I didn't have much they could take. They got a jar full of coins and a bottle of whiskey. The feeling of invasion really hit home for me. I always consider how someone would break in when I look at a new apartment. Good luck in retrieving what was taken.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #28 of 67
i feel for you..after my car was burglarized and all my car audio stuff was taken the hole in the dash matched the hole in my heart..perphaps that is why i now have home alarm systems and stickers everywhere and only park my cars in the garage and am such a big fan of big caliber guns
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Thanks for the condolences, guys!

Yep, technically I was burglarized, not robbed - never really tought about the difference before.

I talked to the apartment leasing office and I am moving ASAP to an apartment in the same complex - but this time on the 2nd or 3rd floor. There have been 2 other incidents like this, both with ground-level apartments facing the woods in the back (like mine). In both other incidents they also left the most valuable stuff untouched - studio recording equipment and guitars, etc. Went for video game stuff, DVDs instead. However, this is the first time they actually broke in, as all my windows & doors were locked, and all my blinds were shut so they couldn't see inside.

I'll try to get the moving started Monday - I think I can hold down the fort until then. Maintanence boarded up the window last night and they're bringing in a replacement window today. Guess I should start packing...

Hey that's sweet, a new place, no moving truck, and you get to re-setup your apartment!
Sounds like fun to me!
I doubt these guys would dare come back while your there, they were obviously amateurs if there are leaving all the stuff of real value(thank goodness!). So i doubt they would be the kind that would confront the resident.
Seriously though, sounds like things are lookin' up for you already. YAY!

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 67
That really really sucks.
I had a stereo stolen out of a car once a long time ago. They broke a window to get in, and ripped the unit out of the dash. It cost me more to repair the damage than it did to replace the stereo.
It is an awful feeling to see that sort of thing.
It must have been kids who broke in to your place. DVDs, whiskey, and coins. But left the big expensive stuff. The nice headphones are not going to be appreciated.
I hope your move upstairs goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back