iTunes 8 SQ much better
Sep 19, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that's not free is tunes' use of memory. It's using up nearly 800 MB of RAM right now, according to Activity Monitor. Outrageous.

Agreed. It's gotten to the point where it's become difficult to listen to music and photoshop things at the same time on my piddly iBook G4.

That said, I still use it because in spite of the useless "Genius" feature, the interface is actually a tad better, IMO.

Sep 19, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #62 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. It's gotten to the point where it's become difficult to listen to music and photoshop things at the same time on my piddly iBook G4.

Guess its time to hand the iBook G4 over to the local museum then, and buy a new MacBook (Pro).
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that's not free is tunes' use of memory. It's using up nearly 800 MB of RAM right now, according to Activity Monitor. Outrageous.

Are you reading the "virtual memory" column? If so, that includes all kind of things that aren't part of an application's actual memory footprint. I opened up Activity Monitor on my system, and it says I'm using more than 50GB of virtual memory -- I have 1GB RAM and 512MB swap.

As far as "real memory," my iTunes is under 40MB.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah. what's with that virtual memory thingy ? i have 48gb of virtual memory and only a 30gb partition..

Virtual memory includes things like files mapped into memory, devices mapped into memory, memory shared with other processes, memory asked for but never used (on some OSs... not sure about the Mac), and really... anything that looks like memory to a program, no matter what the other end actually is.

The "real memory" column is more useful, but it won't tell you how much of an application has been paged out of memory -- it only shows the current working set.

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #66 of 74
woah!

i was all about to congratulate itunes 8 [just installed] on its new interface with genre display, [like wmp] then i find its taking up 10x as much ram as wmp!

:O

oh well, shelved again!

was gonna say maybe next update it will be my prefered player to wmp11, but with that ram, i think not!

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #67 of 74
There's nothing wrong with taking more RAM as long as it's available and not used by anything else.

The difference between iTunes 7 & 8 under normal usage for me was about 10MB of real RAM. Just under 100MB in 7 and 108MB in 8. I can push it so it eats up to a Gig when I flip through all the album art. Something I almost never do.

I'm not sure why the idea of less RAM usage always means better. If the resources are available, it should be taken advantage of then released when it's no longer needed. This is normal..

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #68 of 74
There's something known as 'Sound Enhancer' in iTunes.... if u have enabled it ..u ll find the sound very bright & loud.

if u turn it Off..u ll enjoy a more natural sound.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #69 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why the idea of less RAM usage always means better. If the resources are available, it should be taken advantage of then released when it's no longer needed. This is normal..

The problem with iTunes is that it requires a lot of resources. If you have an old computer, like mine, you can't really do anything else if you use iTunes.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #70 of 74
For the few of you who aren't happy with iTunes, mediaMonkey was a godsend for me after having a frustrating experience with wmp, itunes, winamp, and foobar.
I highly recommend it. =)
I mean to be anything but insultive/rude, but isn't saying the sq improved is kind of like purchasing 2 identical microwave dinners, and claiming that the second one is not as good as the first one? Maybe you weren't as hungry, or maybe you were already getting tired of the food. Maybe your room smelled of stench that day, or maybe you didn't microwave it enough. I'm not saying that it's impossible that they may have changed the ingredients in the food, but if the food was less appealing to me, before resorting to the thought, "oh man.. someone changed the recipe over at the factory", I would assume one of the formentioned reasons.
just my 2c =/

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #71 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess its time to hand the iBook G4 over to the local museum then, and buy a new MacBook (Pro).
wink.gif

Was going to buy an iMac, spent the cash on a new Headroom amp and booze instead.
L3000.gif

I wish I was kidding.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #72 of 74
moogoob;4765369 said:
Was going to buy an iMac, spent the cash on a new Headroom amp and booze instead.
L3000.gif

That's money well spent-especially the booze.
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000.gif

I wish I was kidding.

LOL!
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #74 of 74
I totally agreed with all the above observations that itune 8 sounds better. I am glad that you guys pointed it out. I thought it was just me having a good day also. But now I do notice the body of sound is more full, and the background seems a little more quiet also. It seems to be more musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back