iTunes 8 SQ much better
Sep 15, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, at first I was going to say "placebo effect." Then, I started listening to my mp3's over my speakers, and I thought, "you know, they DO sound better!"

I noticed that as well, I'd really like to know what is behind the change. Genius is awesome as well, I think it works great.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #49 of 74
maybe even though it's bit perfect the sound still changed. like how cables can change the sound even though you're still getting a bit perfect signal ?

just maybe...

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe even though it's bit perfect the sound still changed. like how cables can change the sound even though you're still getting a bit perfect signal ?

just maybe...

The point is that iTunes doesn't actually create the sound, your sound card does - unless it's performing some kind of additional processing between the codec and the audio hardware. If it is doing that we've got great cause to complain, whether it's deemed to make stuff sound 'better' or not. iTunes' job is to decode the file we choose and feed the bits to our hardware - and that's all.

It's like saying the pizza has tasted better since that new delivery boy started. Unless he's seasoning the pizza or adding a couple of extra jalapeños on his way over to your house, there's no way it can be any different.
To continue the analogy, the pizza place is still using the exact same ingredients and, as far as we know, the same recipe too. I guess one possibility is that when the new delivery boy arrived he spotted a typo in the Awesome-O Pizza Cook Book which meant that the chef had not been using enough oregano all this time(!). That would explain the coincidence of the boy's arrival with the sudden improvement in flavour.

In other words, maybe there was something amiss with iTunes' codecs before, and now they've fixed them(?).
All pure conjecture on my part as I don't know enough about computer science and audio compression technology (or cookery for that matter!) - but it seems plausible to me. Thoughts anyone?

Damn, now I'm hungry!
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ Correct me if I am wrong, iTunes needs to be in your country before you can open an iTunes account right? I tried previously for the sake of album art but failed.

nopes, not in itunes 8, i think its possible to sign up for an itunes account from any country now.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #54 of 74
Well, the dvd player in os x is vastly inferior to vlc video player. Even though the videocard is the same, the software video playback quality differs greatly. So I can see or hear the same thing happening with audio playback.

Again I don't know how that's accomplished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is that iTunes doesn't actually create the sound, your sound card does - unless it's performing some kind of additional processing between the codec and the audio hardware. If it is doing that we've got great cause to complain, whether it's deemed to make stuff sound 'better' or not. iTunes' job is to decode the file we choose and feed the bits to our hardware - and that's all.

It's like saying the pizza has tasted better since that new delivery boy started. Unless he's seasoning the pizza or adding a couple of extra jalapeños on his way over to your house, there's no way it can be any different.
To continue the analogy, the pizza place is still using the exact same ingredients and, as far as we know, the same recipe too. I guess one possibility is that when the new delivery boy arrived he spotted a typo in the Awesome-O Pizza Cook Book which meant that the chef had not been using enough oregano all this time(!). That would explain the coincidence of the boy's arrival with the sudden improvement in flavour.

In other words, maybe there was something amiss with iTunes' codecs before, and now they've fixed them(?).
All pure conjecture on my part as I don't know enough about computer science and audio compression technology (or cookery for that matter!) - but it seems plausible to me. Thoughts anyone?

Damn, now I'm hungry!
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #56 of 74
iTunes 8 is really nice!
biggrin.gif

Hard to say if the sound quality have improved or not though.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the dvd player in os x is vastly inferior to vlc video player. Even though the videocard is the same, the software video playback quality differs greatly.

You can apply things like deblocking and deringing filters to the video to help get rid of common artifacts (blocky picture and noise around sharp edges, in this case). Quicktime doesn't do this by default, but it can, if you enable the option. I believe your Quicktime settings affect DVD player.

Sep 19, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #58 of 74
Can't find those options under preferences. Sounds complicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxPrgr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can apply things like deblocking and deringing filters to the video to help get rid of common artifacts (blocky picture and noise around sharp edges, in this case). Quicktime doesn't do this by default, but it can, if you enable the option. I believe your Quicktime settings affect DVD player.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #59 of 74
You can't find them because they don't exist. DVD Player I don't think uses QuickTime anyways since DVD's are muxed MPEG 2 which QT does not support.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #60 of 74
Sorry... should have checked further before trusting memory:
sobha1.png

I was referring to the highlighted option. I'm not sure what effect, if any, it actually has. I will experiment later, but right now I'm using my Mac over VNC, so video on it is not exactly a quality experience anyway...

My point was, there's a reason some video players (and some settings in some video players) look better than others. Postprocessing filters are doing work to hide artifacts from the video compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back