It's official... iPad!!
Jan 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #241 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Archos 9 does look sweet...
erwincomputers_2090_24863975.jpg

Can you load OS X on it?

load it with linux or andriod would be killer.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #242 of 379
If these tablet computers that have been around for a year are so great why haven't they been selling at all, if people really wanted a full tablet computer? That's because people don't really need a full tablet computer and Apple knew that.

I'm sorry but our technology just isn't good enough to be able to fit a full operating computer inside of a half inch thick piece of aluminum. Maybe in another ten years. And the App store and iBook store is going to be what's going to make the iPad. Just like the App store made the iPhone and the iTouch, and that's why all those other tablet computers aren't selling, because they don't have the App store.

The only market for a full tablet computer is going to be digital painters and that's it, and that's an extremely small market and even smaller when you consider that probably 90% of those digital painters probably won't make enough to justify paying for a full tablet computer like the iMod or whatever other full tablet computer out there.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #243 of 379
I think netbooks have pretty much cannibalized the market for any type of tablet PC. That being said any tablet PC coming out needs to look at the netbook model. They did not take off in sales until they came with REAL OS's and it's hardware was good enough to run a REAL OS without being painful.

For these things to be usefull they need a REAL OS and have all the hardware features of a netbook, web cam, usb ports etc.

I like to play around with mobile OS's, ebuntu etc. but for everyday use there are still serious limitations into what you can do.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #244 of 379
IMO, I think most of you hater's are expecting a fully functioning tablet. The iPad isn't a table PC and you can't deal with that fact. It wasn't meant to be a tablet pc. And why all the whining about a usb port when Apple offers a usb connector??? A fully functioning OSX would be nice but not need as this is not meant to replace your laptop but enhance your personal leisure, like reading, watching movies and listening to music.

Think. It was NOT intended to replace your laptop. It was intended to replace your Touch or offer you one if you don't already have one.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #245 of 379
I do wish it had a fully functional USB port, as I doubt that we would be able to stream audio out the USB/lod adapter; its far more likely to just be for syncing and require hosting, not to BE the host. hopefully someone comes up with a decent wifi dac. there has been a number of interesting gadgets on DIYAUDIO of late that include wifi, so i'll be watching this. I use my iphone for email and various web duties including reading all the time (not so much audio) and dont really need a laptop, this could be perfect and I think the haters will be getting more and more pissed off as this thing takes a large chunk and dominates its market. not as a netbook, but as what it is. with cheap wifi unlimited plans the storage really isnt an issue; go the cloud FTW.

the price is awesome, now to manufacture a need
biggrin.gif

maybe not all I hoped, but still pretty cool and yo can bet there will be some related tech that makes this rather interesting

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #246 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, I think most of you hater's are expecting a fully functioning tablet. The iPad isn't a table PC and you can't deal with that fact. It wasn't meant to be a tablet pc. And why all the whining about a usb port when Apple offers a usb connector??? A fully functioning OSX would be nice but not need as this is not meant to replace your laptop but enhance your personal leisure, like reading, watching movies and listening to music.

Think. It was NOT intended to replace your laptop. It was intended to replace your Touch or offer you one if you don't already have one.

Even as an Ipod touch replacement it does not serve the purpose of being able to fit in your pocket on the go.

It has the size of a tablet pc but the features and functions of an Ipod touch. This equation makes it fairly useless.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #247 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even as an Ipod touch replacement it does not serve the purpose of being able to fit in your pocket on the go.

It has the size of a tablet pc but the features and functions of an Ipod touch. This equation makes it fairly useless.

Exactly. Nobody in their right mind would buy this thinking it will be a productive product. Its simply a time waster.

You cant efficiently take notes on it since it doesnt have a stylus, its a capacitive touchscreen which is good for finger input only. Artists make up a big chunk of mac users, and this product was supposed to allow them to draw on, yet this leaves them in the cold. No E-Ink = ereader fail. No USB means you cant connect your digital camera easily while you on a trip and upload the pics to facebook. I know for a fact that my grandparents, nontechie neighbors, and others would not put up with a product like this.

No ability to listen to pandora, while on aim, and updating a facebook profile is not possible and this kills the entire teenage market. This product should have been called the i**** or the iCan since the only useful use of this is on the toilet to browse the internet.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #248 of 379
Really???!! When Apple announced a camera kit which contains a usb adaptor. Seriously or am I missing something. I guess the usb adopter must be a thing of my imagination. Wow, the hate has blinded some people I guess. A camera kit that contains a usb adopter.

iPad Camera Connection Kit
"The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card." Apple website.

Nuff said.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #249 of 379
I guess this accessory just shows up on my computer.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #250 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really???!! When Apple announced a camera kit which contains a usb adaptor. Seriously or am I missing something. I guess the usb adopter must be a thing of my imagination. Wow, the hate has blinded some people I guess. A camera kit that contains a usb adopter.

iPad Camera Connection Kit
"The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card." Apple website.

Nuff said.

Which will require buying and carrying another useless overpriced cable. If Apple really wanted to salvage this product, they would simply add 1 tiny SD slot, camera and a hdmi. They still have 60 days. If they add these simple features then many more people will buy the device as it will have more uses.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #251 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by smachine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which will require buying and carrying another useless overpriced cable. If Apple really wanted to salvage this product, they would simply add 1 tiny SD slot, camera and a hdmi. They still have 60 days. If they add these simple features then many more people will buy the device as it will have more uses.

+1

If they could fit a camera on the new Nano, they can fit a camera on the iPad.

But again, you have to take into account how Apple stretches their product life. Offer an initial gimped product, then gradually add features that should've been in the original product and call each a new version.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #252 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But again, you have to take into account how Apple stretches their product life. Offer an initial gimped product, then gradually add features that should've been in the original product and call each a new version.

Exactly.

BTW, is that adapter included with the iPad?

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #253 of 379
Quote:

And why all the whining about a usb port when Apple offers a usb connector???

Apple isn't offering jack squat. You are paying for the privilege of having an USB DONGLE on that expensive appliance.

in short, iPaid needs $30 for having 1 LONE port for connecting a camera or USB thumb drive. LOL.

Quote:

BTW, is that adapter included with the iPad?

Keep dreaming because it isn't.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #254 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

If they could fit a camera on the new Nano, they can fit a camera on the iPad.

They have been doing this for ages, and people put up with it. The original 13in Unibody Macbooks became revolutionary and magical enough to warrant a name change to a Macbook Pro with the inclusion of a SD reader and esata port. I love my 13in MBP, but Im probably the only person in the world who uses it as a pc. I never use OS X because it doesnt fill the needs for me, so I use Win 7. The MBP is an amazing device being ultraportable, rocksolid, and was cheaper then the alternative laptops in the segment (Sony Z, Dell Studio XPS13). Just wish it didn't have the huge apple logo and people thinking of me as a Douc**.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #255 of 379
You should probably just leave the camera at home too. That's a whole lot of mess to lug around. Why bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back