It's crunch-time: Radius DDM (TWF11 W Pro), FA DBA-02 or UE TF10? Help me!
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mickcenary

Head-Fier
So, thanks to the very helpful communiy here at Head-Fi, I've narrowed it down to 3 IEMs. However! In order to truly hammer the nail into the coffin once and for all, I'm going to have to call on your collective powers one last time!

I'll bullet-point the pertinent information so you fine and knowledgeable gentlemen can help me out to the best of your abilities. Here goes:

> I listen to Metal; any and every sub-genre contained therein, i.e. you'll find everything from ballads to blast-beats.

> I'm not a bass-head, per se, but I like a nice, solid kick drum that doesn't die in an instant. I want it there, but I don't want it drowning everything else out.

> In relation to the above: I own a pair of Turbines and sure, gargantuan bass can be great, but also a bit much. I'm after more detail and a better soundstage and am very open to/ keen on getting something antithetical to the Turbines, but not TOO bright.

> I appreciate and place a considerable emphasis on build quality and aesthetics. Consequently, the TF10s worry me. I was a proud owner of some UE700s, before I realized that they were broken out of the box. The second pair were fine, but I've sold them now. I hear that the TF10s are very sketchy in this regard, but 3 drivers for quite a decent price is definitely keeping me around.

> I found the SQ of the 700s well-rounded and enjoyable.

> I'm VERY attracted to the uniqueness and affordability of the DDM and DBA-02. The former, in particular, seems like it could have an immensely enjoyable signature and just the right amount of bass (it looks great in black, too). I kind of also like anything and everything Japanese
biggrin.gif
. As for the DBA, I'm worried that it'll be a bit too bright, but its glowing reviews, particularly regarding balance, have me very intrigued.

> I've heard that the DDM is perfect for guitars.

> I hate sibilance.

> I've rarely had fit issues and I would say my ears are bigger than average.

So, there you have it. I think that I'm leaning more towards either the DBA-02 or the DDM, because I'm one of those guys that likes to own things that not many other people in a 50km radius would have - a wanker, basically. That being said, SQ is king and that's where you guys come in.

MUCH thanks.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
 but 3 drivers for quite a decent price is definitely keeping me around.

> I found the SQ of the 700s well-rounded and enjoyable.

> I hate sibilance.

> I've rarely had fit issues and I would say my ears are bigger than average.

Firstly... 
You shouldn't be sticking around just because they have "3 Drivers," as sound quality isn't necessarily determined by them.

Also, if you enjoyed the UE700's, you wouldn't have any more sibilance on any other earphones that i've heard of....

Lastly, the Triple.fi's major weakness (or so I've heard) is getting a good fit, so if that's not a problem, they should be good if you can get a decent price.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Firstly... 
You shouldn't be sticking around just because they have "3 Drivers," as sound quality isn't necessarily determined by them.

Also, if you enjoyed the UE700's, you wouldn't have any more sibilance on any other earphones that i've heard of....

Lastly, the Triple.fi's major weakness (or so I've heard) is getting a good fit, so if that's not a problem, they should be good if you can get a decent price.

Cheers for the reply. And regarding the TF10s, I agree; it's just that they're very competitively priced for a triple driver IEM that's apparently very decent. As prices stand now, I can pick up the TF10s for around $220AUD shipped and the DDM/DBA-02 for around $160AUD shipped.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 8
as you may already suspect, DDM and DBA02 are very two  different species  from bottom to top: one is Dynamic vs BA
One is dark, basy, smooth and lush sounding, (Japanese)  vs  DBA02, a Balanced, with thin, bright and bass-light sound signature.
I prefer the first one.
DDM are slightly underrated with its price tag under $200, are definitely  one of its king are a great value IEM on the market.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
as you may already suspect, DDM and DBA02 are very two  different species  from bottom to top: one is Dynamic vs BA
One is dark, basy, smooth and lush sounding, (Japanese)  vs  DBA02, a Balanced, with thin, bright and bass-light sound signature.
I prefer the first one.
DDM are slightly underrated with its price tag under $200, are definitely  one of its king are a great value IEM on the market.

Thanks, Yello. The DDM has grown on me a lot in the last week. At first I thought they were kind of hideous, but in black, they actually look very nice. I think I simply have to have a pair now, or else I simply won't be able to sleep at night :).

And Townyj, I have checked out the GR07, but I'm not quite sure if I like the look of them; they're just a bit too plain for my tastes. Regardless, thanks for the suggestion!

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Nuff said, go for the DDM if you want people looking at you. The GR07 are better looking then the DBA once you actually see them in person. Plus the build quality is a few steps higher. Each to there own. GL with your search.
evil_smiley.gif
 I doubt it will end after the DDM. 

Quote:

Thanks, Yello. The DDM has grown on me a lot in the last week. At first I thought they were kind of hideous, but in black, they actually look very nice. I think I simply have to have a pair now, or else I simply won't be able to sleep at night :).

And Townyj, I have checked out the GR07, but I'm not quite sure if I like the look of them; they're just a bit too plain for my tastes. Regardless, thanks for the suggestion!

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Nuff said, go for the DDM if you want people looking at you. The GR07 are better looking then the DBA once you actually see them in person. Plus the build quality is a few steps higher. Each to there own. GL with your search.
evil_smiley.gif
 I doubt it will end after the DDM. 

Ha. Yeah, look, you're 100% right about that. Buying IEMs is slowly becoming akin to buying another pair of jeans or a t-shirt. My poor little account balance. Thanks for the help, dude. I'm-a go with the DDMs as I can get them expressly shipped for $150 AUD, which is pretty decent. Like you said, though, it won't be the last!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back