iTouch, no amp, full size phones ~$250
Dec 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mcgsxr

100+ Head-Fier
I am a long time lurker, but infrequent poster here on Head-fi.

I have just recently picked up my first portable music device (I am a big time audio guy, with 800GB of FLAC on my dedicated music server, that feeds my Bolder Cables modified Logitech SB3, tube amp, and open baffle speakers), and am looking for good sound for listening privately - my kids are 5 and 7, and I like to listen after they go to bed.  I will convert to Apple lossless prior to putting music on the iTouch (8G).

Musical preference - no country, lots of trance/progressive, classical, grunge (hey, I am 40!), classic rock, some current pop, some hip hop.  Truly Diana Krall through Chemical Brothers through Mahler through Green Day...

I currently own a set of Shure 115 iem's, and I think they will be great for use outside the home, but am looking for a set of full sized cans for home use.  I was out today and listed to some Sennheiser HD203's, some Monster Beats (both the $199 and the $350 ones), and some OK Panasonics, but nothing really did it for me.  I suspect that the really good stuff is just not found locally here often.  So, I figured I would post here and learn about good options to pursue.

I love music, and like a balanced presentation - but I LOVE bass.  I have owned cars with subs in the past etc.

I would consider open or closed phones, but suspect that closed will be a better fit for me.

I would love a set that can use velour pads, or can be modded to do so - I used to use Sony MDRV-500 DJ's, and noticed that the pleather would cook my ears after a while.  Perhaps there is no avoiding that.

I am located outside Toronto in Canada, so the usual complaining about overpriced and poor local availability will hold - but I have been buying online for years, and am comfortable doing so both used here, or online new.

I have seen Shure 840's, Ultrasone DJ1's, and a variety of Sennheiser 5 series around, but have not heard them.

Thoughts, guru's of all things headphones?

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 17
When I read this, I think Beyerdynamic DT770/80
They would benefit from LOD and some kind portable amping though..

Quote:

I love music, and like a balanced presentation - but I LOVE bass.  I have owned cars with subs in the past etc.

I would consider open or closed phones, but suspect that closed will be a better fit for me.

I would love a set that can use velour pads, or can be modded to do so - I used to use Sony MDRV-500 DJ's, and noticed that the pleather would cook my ears after a while.  Perhaps there is no avoiding that. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 17

Seconding the DT770, either 32-ohm or 80-ohm would work well.

The Pro 80-Ohm version has a tighter headband clamp, so it's got a better seal (and as a result, more bass).

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Thirding the 770s, seems to cut it for what you need.

It has heavy bass and recessed mids, however.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 17
OK, sounds like a good option for sure.

There will not be any headphone amp at all though, not looking for that added complexity.

Now, I will see if I can source a set of those.

Thanks for the recommendations guys,

Mark

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 17
Any thoughts on the Ultrasone hfi 550's?  I can pick up a new set locally for $90.

I will continue to search for DT770's, but the local supply is limited.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 17
I went to the local pro audio store today (as in sound reproduction pro, not high end).

I listened to some headphones directly out of my iTouch.

Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms
Beyerdynamic DT250 80 ohms
AKG K141 Mk II

Both sets of Beyer's were way too quiet for me.  The AKG sounded decent, louder, but could not match the bass of the Beyers.

I have just ordered up a Fiio E5 plus LOD off eBay.  I will have to submit to getting an amp, if I am to get the kind of headphones and sound I am looking for.

I have found a couple of used DT770's I am working on, so I should be able to pull this together in the next month or so.

Thanks for the help guys,

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 17
Ultrasone Pro 750.  It doesnt require an amp, although will benefit well from one in the future, if you decide to ever get one.  The bass is deep and impactful, and it is one of the best cans for trance/progressive.  Closed, velour earpads, good isolation, decently comfortable, good soundstage for a closed can.  Do it.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #10 of 17
If you opt for the beyer dt770 consider getting the beyer dt770 premium 32ohms version if you really plan on not using an amp, the 80ohm version might be hard to drive straight from an ipod. if you still choose the 80ohm pro version though you can simply get a fiio e5 and fiio l3 lod with it, the e5 is very small and just 20$. Not a hassle imo.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 17
I'm still a noob at this, so for now I'm not going to make any recommendations, but what I will say is, if you live down at Toronto, head to Bay Bloor Radio and check out the headphones on display there (to see what you like, they're pretty overpriced there). They have a huge selection there. Also, Long & Mcquade has a couple of cans that Bay Bloor doesn't carry and so do Steve's Music Store along with Cosmos Music. I don't actually live here in Toronto (visiting), but alls I know is that Bay Bloor and Steve's Music are in the GTA, Cosmos Music in Richmond Hill and Long & Mcquade has a ton of franchises everywhere. All of these stores (aside from Steve's Music (AFAIK)) should allow you to test the headphones there. Again, I don't really recommend buying from some of these places, just go there to have a listen.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 17
I picked up a used set of DT770/80's today locally.

Running straight out of my 1st gen iTouch, it is loud enough, but only 7/8 or 8/8 on the volume slider.  The rep that these phones have for bass seems deserved, I am getting my bassy fix already!

I am looking forward to getting the e5 and LOD I ordered off eBay, and will report back.

Now to find a solution for the 2 devices, and wires etc - saw a cool pic here where someone used an Otterbox 2000 to house the amp, and Touch, and some iem's.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 17
your E5 is going to help things a little bit, you'll see. 3.5mm out or line out is a noticable difference

bye the way, the 32 ohm 770 isn't perse easier to drive than 80 ohm. On my opinion, you got the right version

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Just as an update, I received the e5 today.  TINY - the size of a pack of matches.  Simple to get charging, and using with the LOD.

The immediate increase in SQ is unmistakable - full sound at volumes far lower than straight out of the iTouch headphone jack.  It is now obvious that the built in headphone section of the iTouch does not really work with 80 ohm phones, as was suggested.

Running it with no bass boost, it makes these DT770's sing.

Using the bass boost via the e5 is strictly for childish fun with ambient tracks - it will literally tickle your spine and calves with bass!

Thanks again for the great guidance and suggestions guys, appreciate such a great online community!

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 17
Congrats, and enjoy your new toy 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back